How to make a rover crane

the idea is simple, I build a rover, with docking port pointed to ground, which is capable to move big modules (like rockomax fuel tank with landing gear), but there is a problem with this thing height, if it's lower or higher than your module, you are unable to dock module again...

is there are solution to make a perfect rover crane, or i do it complitely wrong?

my solution: ejiGoRN.jpg

When I built my first rover crane I used landing gear as wheels (other wheels were not available then) Drive over module, raise gear and the crane drops and docks, then lower gear and off you go. All your modules have to be a standard height. You could do the same with the new wheels and position landing legs to raise and lower the module.

There is a winch mod which I've also used, means the modules can be different heights.

When I built my first rover crane I used landing gear as wheels (other wheels were not available then) Drive over module, raise gear and the crane drops and docks, then lower gear and off you go. All your modules have to be a standard height. You could do the same with the new wheels and position landing legs to raise and lower the module.

There is a winch mod which I've also used, means the modules can be different heights.

I belive winch isn't working with rover weels, and i don't understand what are you mean by "I used landing gear as wheels"

This is my first rover crane using a docking port and landing gear wheels:

The gear wheels are really handy, I use one in a sort of "inverted" crane. I move my modules with the rover underneath using the big wheels. To deploy it you just lower the module legs and decouple, to move it again you move the rover back underneath, raise it on the gears so that it docks and then lower everything again onto the big wheels and off you go!

b64l5g.jpg

33eh6vn.jpg

The handy thing about this is that your modules can be any height you want and any width that's stable as long as the rover can get underneath the legs.

If you want an actual rope and winch, try checking out the Kerbal Attachment System in the Spaceport: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-2-kas-kerbal-attachment-system-v0-1/

It can be a little buggy at times, but it's very useful.

I've tried it, it isn't work with rover wheels, at least at next update of mod, also I try to use stock parts at maximum (quantum struts or mechJeb is exception).

@RunningGloves thanks for interesting concept, I'll try to apply it =)

@Uncle Mort thanks for answering, but it's not what I want to build, I look for a rover design for a rough terrain, as on Duna or Laythe (currently i making preparations for resource mining on Jool moons).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.