Rareden's Projects

Rareden

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!

this is beautiful.

oh yeah and what program did you use to make the images? PLEEEEEEEEASE TEEEEEEEEEEEEELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*crazy unnecessary spam snip*

this is beautiful.

oh yeah and what program did you use to make the images? PLEEEEEEEEASE TEEEEEEEEEEEEELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Three major programs can achieve that kind of imagery:

Each have their unique way of doing things, but each are capable of producing the level of detail and beauty that Rareden is posting here.

You can also get pretty close to that level with Sketchup, but only if you're willing to spend a ton of additional time to achieve similar results with lighting and organic curves.

(He has also mentioned the tools he uses in previous posts on this thread, fyi)

i think i need to do a kraken image, one like in the ksp video with the octopus breaking out of the jar all glowy

Ooo, that could be cool. I have some plans for one of those things, but only can reuse the imagry in that video.

YFQfuIQ.png

Yes, I made it purple, because reasons.

BTW, anyone got a name for them, apart from baby kraken?

Honestly, I would say that it's no big deal to print a copy for yourself, but paying somebody else to produce it for you on their equipment? Yeah, that's what copyright is supposed to specifically address: people other than the original artist getting paid for reproductions of his/her work.

Well I did start a poll a while ago asking if anyone wanted a print but no one responded to it so I dropped it, but if people are willing to pay for one then sure but keep in mind im not sure of the shipping costs from Newzealand to the states for one, unless I try and get them printed in the states, haven't looked into that though.

i think i need to do a kraken image, one like in the ksp video with the octopus breaking out of the jar all glowy

But.. I was Planning a video with the kraken....

Darnit...

Also, you have not challenged my cans. Therefore, I think i won....

But.. I was Planning a video with the kraken....

Darnit...

Also, you have not challenged my cans. Therefore, I think i won....

son, you do not want to play that game with me lol, plus ive been busy working on the vid with nassault so haven't bothered making a rebuttal at this time.

Well I did start a poll a while ago asking if anyone wanted a print but no one responded to it so I dropped it, but if people are willing to pay for one then sure but keep in mind im not sure of the shipping costs from Newzealand to the states for one, unless I try and get them printed in the states, haven't looked into that though.

You could start your own on-demand printing store!

http://www.zazzle.com/sell

That way you don't have to mess with shipping, and people can support your work directly with something tangible. Also, it helps ensure your copyright is honored properly.

I have to turn away customers looking to copy or print others' artwork all the time, because they simply don't understand that it's not their intended use runs afoul of copyright, but the fact that WE would be making money off of that print. Most are completely understanding once the problem is explained, but having your own outlet for prints of your work would help ensure you're at least compensated for the tangible thing that somebody wants to have of it.

I was currently considering printing off one or two of these awesome works to hang in my college dorm using my spare plotting money for the semester and I never even thought about compensation to the artist.

The University isn't getting money from it (they print purely on image size and using printing credits which don't roll over between semesters, so they get my money regardless of what is printed or even if I don't print anything), but would I be able to make a donation to you in some way to ease my conscience?

You could start your own on-demand printing store!

http://www.zazzle.com/sell

That way you don't have to mess with shipping, and people can support your work directly with something tangible. Also, it helps ensure your copyright is honored properly.

I have to turn away customers looking to copy or print others' artwork all the time, because they simply don't understand that it's not their intended use runs afoul of copyright, but the fact that WE would be making money off of that print. Most are completely understanding once the problem is explained, but having your own outlet for prints of your work would help ensure you're at least compensated for the tangible thing that somebody wants to have of it.

So explain to me how this would work, by selling it on this site then people get the rights to print it the HQ version?

I was currently considering printing off one or two of these awesome works to hang in my college dorm using my spare plotting money for the semester and I never even thought about compensation to the artist.

The University isn't getting money from it (they print purely on image size and using printing credits which don't roll over between semesters, so they get my money regardless of what is printed or even if I don't print anything), but would I be able to make a donation to you in some way to ease my conscience?

i would have to setup a separate site if i was going to take donations (not allowed on these forums) or use the method deadweasel says once i understand his method properly

So explain to me how this would work, by selling it on this site then people get the rights to print it the HQ version?

i would have to setup a separate site if i was going to take donations (not allowed on these forums) or use the method deadweasel says once i understand his method properly

The idea is that you set up a virtual store from which people can buy anything from posters to coffee mugs with your images on them. http://www.cafepress.com is mostly known for t-shirts (in my neck of the woods, at least), but they do the same thing overall, posters included.

The way most of the stores work is that you sign an agreement with them that gives them the ability to take a cut of the proceeds based on their materials and production costs, and you get the rest according to the royalty rate you set.

When it's ready, a customer goes to your virtual store, and orders a product (poster, t-shirt, whatever) based on one of your images. They pay for it (including shipping costs, if any), the company handles production and delivery, and you get a cut from the sale without having to lift a finger.

The downside is that you're getting less in return than if you were creating and shipping them yourself through something like, say, eBay, but the upside is that all you had to do was create the artwork and let the customers decide what kind of products they want, and what size. You don't have to maintain any stock and run the risk of some of it not selling.

This is probably the easiest way to ensure your work isn't being ripped and reproduced for sale by others, cheating of you royalties that you as the creator and copyright holder deserve.

Copy shops will also do all they can to keep from committing copyright infringement, as long as there's something on the image that identifies the artist in some way. If a customer brought in one of your images, and your name was watermarked on it in some way, they would be refused or at the very least provided with a copyright release form, which an artist or studio can sign to provide documentation that it's acceptable for the business to profit from his work. Photo studios will often do this for their photos if the subject has died, and the photo is being used for a printed memorial, for example.

Edited by Deadweasel

The idea is that you set up a virtual store from which people can buy anything from posters to coffee mugs with your images on them. http://www.cafepress.com is mostly known for t-shirts (in my neck of the woods, at least), but they do the same thing overall, posters included.

The way most of the stores work is that you sign an agreement with them that gives them the ability to take a cut of the proceeds based on their materials and production costs, and you get the rest according to the royalty rate you set.

When it's ready, a customer goes to your virtual store, and orders a product (poster, t-shirt, whatever) based on one of your images. They pay for it (including shipping costs, if any), the company handles production and delivery, and you get a cut from the sale without having to lift a finger.

The downside is that you're getting less in return than if you were creating and shipping them yourself through something like, say, eBay, but the upside is that all you had to do was create the artwork and let the customers decide what kind of products they want, and what size. You don't have to maintain any stock and run the risk of some of it not selling.

This is probably the easiest way to ensure your work isn't being ripped and reproduced for sale by others, cheating of you royalties that you as the creator and copyright holder deserve.

Copy shops will also do all they can to keep from committing copyright infringement, as long as there's something on the image that identifies the artist in some way. If a customer brought in one of your images, and your name was watermarked on it in some way, they would be refused or at the very least provided with a copyright release form, which an artist or studio can sign to provide documentation that it's acceptable for the business to profit from his work. Photo studios will often do this for their photos if the subject has died, and the photo is being used for a printed memorial, for example.

Sounds good, ill have to go back over my old ones and put a signature on them

actually Im unsure if this would breach squads copyright, I did have someone contact me a while back asking if they could buy my kerbal model but squad said it would break the copyright they have so I don't know if this would be the same.

actually Im unsure if this would breach squads copyright, I did have someone contact me a while back asking if they could buy my kerbal model but squad said it would break the copyright they have so I don't know if this would be the same.

The model itself? Yes, most likely there'd be an issue there because you would be profiting personally from something that creates an opportunity for a competing derivative effort, but your "flattened" images could be considered to be covered under "artistic interpretation". Unfortunately that's still a bit of a grey area of copyright, but if your images aren't including the KSP logo, SQUAD might actually be agreeable to your selling them.

For example, I would accept a customer's obviously hand-drawn rendition of Mickey Mouse for copies/scans, but I couldn't allow an obvious tracing. That's where the grey area part comes in. I might know for a fact that the customer drew it themselves, but perhaps they replicated the original too faithfully, and Disney would undoubtedly object to us replicating it as well. They would consider it to look too much like their licensed property, and that brings "brand confusion" (which is only fair) into play.

That said, the things you've produced aren't really representative of SQUAD's actual content, and (as far as I know) doesn't compete with an existing merchandising effort on their part.

Alternative scenario: your contacts with SQUAD get them to notice your work, and next thing you know you're being offered a sweet (paid) gig with them. :D

Just an idea have you thought about the final scene in the movie Space Cowboys? Where the astronaut is sitting next to his crashed "spacecraft" looking up at Earth. It seemed very kerbal like and would makea nice photo.

yes that was a awesome scene and you are correct

The model itself? Yes, most likely there'd be an issue there because you would be profiting personally from something that creates an opportunity for a competing derivative effort, but your "flattened" images could be considered to be covered under "artistic interpretation". Unfortunately that's still a bit of a grey area of copyright, but if your images aren't including the KSP logo, SQUAD might actually be agreeable to your selling them.

For example, I would accept a customer's obviously hand-drawn rendition of Mickey Mouse for copies/scans, but I couldn't allow an obvious tracing. That's where the grey area part comes in. I might know for a fact that the customer drew it themselves, but perhaps they replicated the original too faithfully, and Disney would undoubtedly object to us replicating it as well. They would consider it to look too much like their licensed property, and that brings "brand confusion" (which is only fair) into play.

That said, the things you've produced aren't really representative of SQUAD's actual content, and (as far as I know) doesn't compete with an existing merchandising effort on their part.

Alternative scenario: your contacts with SQUAD get them to notice your work, and next thing you know you're being offered a sweet (paid) gig with them. :D

Thanks for the information, i would like to go through with this i would just rather be sure that im not going to get sued or something over copyright infringement

Edited by Rareden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.