[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

whenever i us sabre engines they run out of oxidizer so fast, what am i doing wrong?

I've found that for most of my spaceplanes I need 3x more Fuel/Ox than Fuel only. I may be "Doing It Wrong" but here's my flight profile:

1: Get airborne on jets / SABREs in Jet mode

2: Shallow climb until speed reaches Mach 1.2 where the transonic issues go away

3: Climb to 10Km / 15Km and start to level off - maintain a shallow climb - 50m/s or less climb

4: Build speed to 1.6Km/s - 1.8Km/s at or above 25Km altitude

5: Activate rockets / switch SABREs to rocket mode and nose up to 45

- this part is usually hard if I've pushed the altitude too high

- RCS helps if you've got it and enough monoprop

- Holding altitude for a minute while speed builds can help too

6: once apoapis is above 70Km (usually 75Km) kill the throttle

7: Pitch back down to zero AoA to minimize drag

- given the FAR lift model, positive AOA will increase apoapsis while decreasing periapsis because the lift keeps pushing your orbit steeper. This may be desirable but will cost you deltaV as drag goes up with lift

If anybody has a better flight profile for FAR I'd love to hear it.

I usually do something like this:

* climb 15-20 degrees until about 8-9km

* depending on TWR either level off or pitch down to about 8 deg until transonic issues are past - may even need a shallow dive, just don't let it go too low again or you'll start hitting thick air & lose speed.

* Climb at usually 10-12 deg or so until around 18km

* Nose down to about 5 deg & let it climb to 21-22km while it's building speed.

* If I timed it right I'll have hit 1.6-1.7km/s at about the time FAR is telling me I'm out of air, so I switch engine mode & pitch up to 10deg again. My planes are usually heavy so I can't really go much steeper.

* Won't take long to hit AP, at that point I leave it pitched up so I'm gaining a little lift from what's left of the atmosphere to counter any drag-related speed loss. It should only need 1-200ms of extra dV at AP to circularise.

If you've got enough TWR to climb out of atmo at 45 degrees I suspect you can probably climb off the deck to 18km at 45 degrees also, which gets a lot of issues over and done with quickly. Certainly if I can climb from the runway at over 25 degrees I'll go straight to 18km before levelling off.

I've used a jet fuel droptank once I think, otherwise I haven't bothered with pure jet tanks.

Edited by Van Disaster

I can't seem to get my D-30F7 engines to take fuel from tanks other than my Mark 2 fuselage tanks. I am trying to get it to feed from wingtip tanks and have had no luck. I have tried drawing fuel lines from the tanks to the engines and even putting the fuel tanks directly on the variable intakes the engines are connected to, but nothing has worked. Even taking off with a fuselage fuel tank and cutting off flow to switch to the other tanks doesn't work. I am running both FAR and TV Aerospace in addition to B9. Any idea what might be happening?

I've read back a little ways but haven't seen my issue so i'm gonna post it here. i have all the parts and stuff but when i get to the runway i have no gui pop up i have tried reinstalling as well as installing on a fresh kerbal install i have even tried copying the game files from my roomate who has no issues but alas, nothing works. so i can't close the cargo bay doors or anything. by the way this mod looks awesome!

Tartiflette is right. Those VTOL jets are rediculous! I did my best to copy his design from his pictures. My VTOL jets carried me to 43 km at 2419 m/s orbital speed by gradually lowering the throttle from 8 to 3 percent, before flaming out completely.

0nHDQc0.png

By the time I got out of the atmosphere, my Apo had dropped from 135 km to 105 km, but that's still SPACE!!! Periapsis was only 33 km and my compressed air RCS did almost nothing to raise it before running dry, so I couldn't make orbit like you!

KFOCXBF.png

Once I re-entered, I decided to fly all the way around the world back to KSC. Going ~2000 m/s at 36 km that didn't take long! I lowered my engines for a possible VTOL assisted STOL landing, but they proved unnecessary. This thing glides great and floated two thirds of the way down the runway before finally getting slow enough to settle onto the tarmac. Into space and around the world on 78 L of liquid fuel!

OtMBsKe.jpg

I've read back a little ways but haven't seen my issue so i'm gonna post it here. i have all the parts and stuff but when i get to the runway i have no gui pop up i have tried reinstalling as well as installing on a fresh kerbal install i have even tried copying the game files from my roomate who has no issues but alas, nothing works. so i can't close the cargo bay doors or anything. by the way this mod looks awesome!

There is no GUI, you use the right click context menu or action groups.

Basically, right click the part.

I made an X-Wing SSTO. Takes off, gets to orbit, and lands nicely. Had to add the small canards on the nose to have control for a runway takeoff, otherwise I was actually able to do a vertical launch too.

6DBD717CBA17EC7A441FCF70E39DD06A98ECD003

17E42284B6D3650D246FD68925E7428D0053C789

823F046CA854400C49C02305D6A1BF2FA090A064

I only get the cockpits, engines and a few other things. I have the sabre engines but no fuel tanks or fuselages appear. HALP

incorrectly installed.

Extract into gamedata. Do nit manually try to add the parts folders to parts, plugins to plugins etc. Do not use one of the mod managers. Its all in the OP.

I just downloaded B9 Aerospace and it seems that the cargo bays ect are not there, i have extracted the files and added the plugins correctly, what have i done wrong. D:

I can't seem to get my D-30F7 engines to take fuel from tanks other than my Mark 2 fuselage tanks. I am trying to get it to feed from wingtip tanks and have had no luck. I have tried drawing fuel lines from the tanks to the engines and even putting the fuel tanks directly on the variable intakes the engines are connected to, but nothing has worked. Even taking off with a fuselage fuel tank and cutting off flow to switch to the other tanks doesn't work. I am running both FAR and TV Aerospace in addition to B9. Any idea what might be happening?

Anyone know what the problem is with this?

Seems the SABRE engines drain liquid fuel when in rocket mode even if there is no oxidizer left to use.

Well of course, if you keep the pumps pumping fuel to the engine by applying full throttle but no oxidizer is left to burn it, it just leaks out the back.

If you know it behaves like this, you can just throttle back just before flame-out to save liquid fuel.

How do you actually put cargo into the cargo bays? I've tried to get docking connectors or decouplers to mount into the bay and it doesn't seem to work... so I must be doing something wrong. I've finally got a decent spaceplane with plenty of margin to haul stuff and i can't stick anything in the cargo hold.

I just downloaded B9 Aerospace and it seems that the cargo bays ect are not there, i have extracted the files and added the plugins correctly, what have i done wrong. D:

The fact you said added the plugins correctly immediately gives away that you've done it wrong. You shouldnt be adding plugins. Unzip this mod, stick it in gamedata. Otherwise symptoms include missing parts......

If you manually stick parts in parts, plugins in plugins, it will break as will many other 0.20 mods. This is even mentioned in the README file and the first post. its even in the post above yours.

Seems the SABRE engines drain liquid fuel when in rocket mode even if there is no oxidizer left to use.

As do stock liquid engines I think. Jet engines with no intake air certainly do.

Step one: Extract the zip.

Step two: Open the folder.

Step three: Drag the Gamedata and Ships folders from here:

9981d6b2f1d68155217856c43cadfec5.png

and put them here

dc9d9e892586b8d04f4dbe5397a0a45e.png

Step four: Click "Ok" and "Copy and Replace" or just "Replace" a lot.

Step five: There is no step five, but if you don't use steam, your ksp install will be located elsewhere.

Edited by loppnessmonsta

How do you actually put cargo into the cargo bays? I've tried to get docking connectors or decouplers to mount into the bay and it doesn't seem to work... so I must be doing something wrong. I've finally got a decent spaceplane with plenty of margin to haul stuff and i can't stick anything in the cargo hold.

What I do is stick the stock KSP 2x2 or 1x1 plate (the square one with a small attach node in the middle) flat onto one end of the cargo bay, and then attach your things to that. For large cargo bolt the plate on with a couple of struts and always use some struts to hold the payload up, or else the payload will sag through the cargo bay floor and scrape along the ground. Struts can be detached if either end of them is connected to a radial decoupler.

Edited by o_O

I've done as instructed. I'm now also missing the cockpits, on top of more utilites, engines, and the fuselages are still missing.

Dumb question, but: Are you using KSP 20.2? I read somewhere that even using 20.1 is incompatible with the B9 pack.

I know that this might not be answered, but I am still taking a crack at it, but, can you make jet engines looking like this: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEAEpI6ruYO3Ft5o0ztSAUt0PVoyeT7GxqrC9BhPUFwW_yBW9N2w (front view), http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpB7oEM7t_kY6fgjqjiOKL41J8TLsDTTg8FQeYsdgRaai4oQ_BgQ (side and rear view). If you deny this request, I will accept it. But, if you accept it, I will thank you and wait.

Hey, do you suppose a B) version of the MKIII fuselages would be possible? Everything needed would be a cargo bay, a MKIII-S2 adapter, MKIII rocket fuel, MKIII Jet fuel B9 style, MKIII fuselage and maybe a MKIII cockpit. Could this be done?