[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

someone already told me to stack four precoolers in front of the SABRE M, but it didn't work either - they blew up at 30% Thrust in Rocket mode. how exactly did you build your Spacecraft?

even if they work as you say, I still prefer the old ones - they didn't give you that much of an advantage over the mainsail/jet engine combination as the new SABREs do

I have my SABRE Ms as intake-4*cooler-engine, embedded in my wings. I'd be getting some additional cooling from the attached wings as well, I guess. I do get some overheating in rocket mode, but not blowing up at 30%. I can't remember for sure, would have to load them up in 0.22 to check, but pretty sure I could go to about 80% or 90% continuous in rocket mode on them. If memory serves, the part attached to my wing is the cooler immediately in front of the engine.

Precoolers do nothing in KSP currently.

The way you can keep your SABREs from overheating that fast is move them closer to the CoM of an object. It is the way KSP calculates the heat sinking abilities.

They do act as heat sinks, just the same as anything else. They don't have a special extra-cooling effect, but I found they worked well when stacked for both aesthetics and cooling via the normal heatsink mechanism.

JFYI, Interstellar mod now makes SABRE precoolers act as precoolers. It comes with a price, though: all airbreathing engines overheat at hypersonic speeds unless air intakes are directly connected to precoolers (and side-mounted intakes can not reroute hot air to these precoolers).

JFYI, Interstellar mod now makes SABRE precoolers act as precoolers. It comes with a price, though: all airbreathing engines overheat at hypersonic speeds unless air intakes are directly connected to precoolers (and side-mounted intakes can not reroute hot air to these precoolers).

This is pretty cool to hear, I'd love to integrate something like that into B9 to prevent cheating with radial intake spam or intake stacking.

This is pretty cool to hear, I'd love to integrate something like that into B9 to prevent cheating with radial intake spam or intake stacking.

That would be cool. And it would give me a use for the actual pre-coolers.

Does welding B9 wing parts work? Or structural parts and cargobays....

This 176T SSTO gets a 77T payload into orbit easy, but its over 300 parts....

Or you could go for a smaller craft design. That is a lot of parts for a small payload. Not saying there is anything wrong with over 300 parts, it looks very Kerbally. Just making a recommendation to make Kerbal cras... er... life easier. :D

http://imgur.com/a/WpyZs

77T is a small load? :confused:

I guess I've had loads of over 150T :wink: lol, I've generally tried to make the craft itself as light as possible and maximize the thrust used. For some reason I couldn't embed my album in my last post. There is a link to my ssto. That one is designed for station modules and fuel tanks with fuel. Sadly it is broken due to .23 release.

Eskandare, What truss/girders are you using to support the KAS mounts+Crates that make up your payload??? I've seen them around in others screenshot, But don't know the their mods name......

I think they came with Lack Luster Labs.

Edit: I could be wrong. I have 60 mods installed and have them all working thanks to the compression plugin.

Edited by Eskandare

I guess I've had loads of over 150T :wink: lol, I've generally tried to make the craft itself as light as possible and maximize the thrust used. For some reason I couldn't embed my album in my last post. There is a link to my ssto. That one is designed for station modules and fuel tanks with fuel. Sadly it is broken due to .23 release.

Ok, but did you get 95% of your orbit without using fuel? :P KSP Interstellar Thermal TurboJets run on Atmo.

Ok, but did you get 95% of your orbit without using fuel? :P KSP Interstellar Thermal TurboJets run on Atmo.

That's a pretty cheaty goal, to be honest. What's the challenge in not having to use fuel?

77T is a small load? :confused:

Nah, it's medium. :wink:

The awesomeness of the B9 stuff does allow some fantastic spaceplanes. I've got my S2W fuel delivery plane which is around 200t and uses 4 wing mounted SABRE Ms (it delivers more than the equivalent of a couple of Jumbo 64s to LKO, something like 2.5–3 64-equivalents), and an equivalent cargo bay version of it. They actually demonstrate that the KSC runway isn't adequate, as they fly just fine, are capable of takeoff, land without problem, but the runway is uncomfortably short for them on takeoff (and made artificially too narrow by the stupid light boxes on the corners which rise above wing height). Fortunately, they work just as awesomely if you wheel them over to the VAB, flip them vertically, and launch from the pad. Throw a Shuttle style stack on the belly of them for greater range or payload. The cargo version can do 100t payloads easily enough without booster.

That's a pretty cheaty goal, to be honest. What's the challenge in not having to use fuel?

Imagine large-scale operations somewhere far away from Kerbin, where fuel is not automatically provided on launch. Donziboy's craft could probably take off from Laythe or Eve to return sumething heavy from surface to orbit.

Does welding B9 wing parts work?

Have you tried procedural wings mod? It has a wing with B9 texture (and current version provides control over thickness).

I should see what I can do with interstellar for my standard deployment methods. My only issue is that the reactors are very heavy. When it comes to weight and balance it provides quite a problem. It lowers the payload I can carry due to the thrust to weight ratio. The problem is the larger the craft, the heavier the ramp weight, and the longer takeoff/landing roll. I recently had that problem with my small SSTO. It was too heavy and it's landing gear collapsed on takeoff once I reached 100 m/s.

It was too heavy and it's landing gear collapsed on takeoff once I reached 100 m/s.

I think that would be about my biggest wish for the B9 set at present, to beef up the HDG landing gear, or introduce a super-heavy set. The HDG set is great, looks great, has great features, but I don't think that it's quite heavy-duty enough for huge and heavy planes (even with struts to stop the sideways shimmy/wobble).

I think that would be about my biggest wish for the B9 set at present, to beef up the HDG landing gear, or introduce a super-heavy set. The HDG set is great, looks great, has great features, but I don't think that it's quite heavy-duty enough for huge and heavy planes (even with struts to stop the sideways shimmy/wobble).

I agree. I certainly feel that quad and six wheel gear would add a lot to B9 aerospace.

Something similar to these.

ELYyPkG.jpg

BEoulJR.jpg

I agree with Murph. Bac9, your parts are stunningly beautiful and the best way to build heavy duty planes/SSTOs but getting them off the runway without spontaneous gear disassembly is a challenge. A heavy duty gear set would be awesome, especially if it had some additional ground clearance for large/long spaceplanes. I know, my 220t LKO refueling SSTO is probably a bit excessive but jeb really enjoys flying it... :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I got it working and my next goal is to make it look nicer (hide the struts whenever possible) and to optimize its flight performance in FAR.

Thanks bunches for this awesome mod!

So what part of loading vehicles fully fueled at no cost is not a little "cheaty"? I have been designing stations and probes around the limits of that SSTO, the problem is that since 0.23 and changes to some mods its actually gotten alot harder to get up there.... I had to lengthen my craft, sweap the wings back more(increased wing surface by 30%), add 2 more engines (may need 2 more:( ) and pull my hair out trying to get the mass in the right spot so that every twitch does not send it spinning out of control....

It takes time to do it, takes about 15-30 minutes to get to 30Km (Depends on load), the new FAR has made it far tougher. And its to large to timewarp especially with FAR jerking the plane every once in a while.....

I have logged about 15 hours in 3 days, all of that was flying test flights, only 1 made it so far and I found a save bug with KSP Interstellar that blew 11 of the 12 engines off it when I reloaded at 44Km, so it never fully orbited...

Have you tried procedural wings mod? It has a wing with B9 texture (and current version provides control over thickness).

I did, the problem was the wings got insanely thick, and I was unable to attach engines on top or below the wings...

Edit.. I gave Procedural Wings another try and so far no matter what I do the craft does a backflip as soon as it lifts off the runway.....

Edited by Donziboy2

I know this is a bit offtopic~

Greetings, i'm somewhat new to the community but i've been playing KSP for a little while since 0.18 and i gotta admit that B9's become the primary add on in use. Also the community is great with many creations and imaginations at work on what they believe Kerbals should be up to. While we wait for an update and since I've seen a few nice planes while i was here i wanted to unveil my own creation using B9 Aerospace (with clever use of intakes and trailing edge placements) the 0.22 Version of the SFT - Acolyte MK II. Uses B9 Aerospace, Remote Tech, Kethane, Raomfarer Lazor System + Sunbeam and Missle addons. I think its also using either Near Future propulsion or KSP interstellar for the glowing long batteries and Capacitors...or both!.

Harr it's a small plane, Mechjeb says it's 50 tons and 575 parts? Heavy Defense Fighter, Designed to land without power to the engines even with an approach as steep as 45 degrees, used a series of heavy struts to attach the landing gears to 2-3 different locations on the Hull. I don't remember how many struts it used..most radially attached component used at least 2-4 heavy struts, thus the plan CAN survive a moderate Crash landing. It's not SSTO but it's Sturdy and handles great.

SFT-AcolyteMKII.png

Been awhile since ive used photobucket so if the image isnt correctly displayed i will correct in a minute.