[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

Hotfix with few high-res textures fixed and with an optional low-res texture package will be available shortly.

Question: I honestly only use the lights and some of the structural elements and the info drive. What files do I need to keep to use the info file? I usually end up purging most of the aeronautical parts and the last time I did that, I lost the ability to use the info drive's functionality.

You'll need the Firespitter.dll plugin for the info drive and the generic animation modules in the lights, I guess.

Game crashes on initial load-up with the new B9 version... It's OK when running B9 only (with stock), or stock and other mods, but apparently the new version exceeds the memory limits when loading with other mods (according to logs)...

I am running it with 39 more mods without any problem. But my Memory usage is at 2.9Gig on start. And that's with Textures at Half Res.

Yeah, apparently we've just gone over some magical limit here, thanks to no win x64 version of KSP, where if you add anything besides B9 and base KSP you OOM as soon as you sneeze.

I just finished a pack that shrinks any textures over 512x512 to a quarter of their pixel count (ie, 1024x1024 becomes 512x512), it saves ~820mb of memory. Shrinking 512x textures to 256x would only save about 20mb on top of that so they've been left alone.

bac9 is packaging up a small update with that right now.

I also found some outlier textures, for example the structural MK2 texture was 2048x but the Fuel version was 1024x. These have been shrunk, but that will only save you a couple hundred megs, so if you're crashing because of memory it probably won't be enough :)

Yeah, by the way, don't use the B9 textures from this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51361-0-21-Squad-Texture-Reduction-Pack-B9-and-KW-Packs-also

They have been converted incorrectly, with alpha channel lost on all textures, which breaks specularity rendering and renders all glass opaque.

From now on, there will be an official low-resolution set of textures included in the archive.

Idk if it is B9 aerospace that is doing this ---> Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation. Or what it even means i would love to have some info on it or a way to fix it.

Similar for me:

Error occurred at 2013-10-20_214008.

D:\KSP\KSP.exe, run by Danny.

84% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [1241 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2844 MB free].

0 MB user address space [71 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

And the only mods I have are B9, KAS, Firespitter parts, Kethane, Interplanetary travel, and a couple of small things.

I am confused here.

So I have version 3.3. It works just fine. Your new update is 100x the size for what reason?

I don't understand. It seems to me like you said it was because of loading times. 3.3 loads with the same speed it did before.

700MB VS 70MB is not worth it no matter how fast 4.0 loads.

Now keep in mind I haven't actually tried to use any B9 parts since the update. I have been messing around in career mode.

Are they broken in anyway in the regular sandbox mode? For me the loading time isn't that bad.

So if it is only the loading speed and the tech integration that is different, then I think I will wait until .23.

I am confused here.

So I have version 3.3. It works just fine. Your new update is 100x the size for what reason?

I don't understand. It seems to me like you said it was because of loading times. 3.3 loads with the same speed it did before.

700MB VS 70MB is not worth it no matter how fast 4.0 loads.

Now keep in mind I haven't actually tried to use any B9 parts since the update. I have been messing around in career mode.

Are they broken in anyway in the regular sandbox mode? For me the loading time isn't that bad.

So if it is only the loading speed and the tech integration that is different, then I think I will wait until .23.

You don't understand how textures work :D

3.3 is PNG, 4.0 is tga.

4.0 is bigger on disk, but the same size per texture in memory - all textures are converted to DXT upon load, regardless of the initial format.

4.0 loads faster.

4.0 also scales properly in memory usage if you run KSP at a lowered detail level, because MipMap generation for the PNG loader is somewhat broken.

Ok not a lot of help to anyone but I am now mightily confused.

I went through adding each mod one by one to a clean install in a different and the game loaded up fine every time.

In a desperate attempt to replicate my previous issues I copied the original game data folder over and suddenly it starts crashing on vehicle unpack again! I checked the two game data folders against each other and they are seemingly identical (Same no. of folders and files and same size as well as a visual check) so I have no idea. All I know for certain is that the new B9 release doesn't seem to have any issues on its own..or indeed any compatibility issues with my other mods o.O

I'll come back to this later and see if I can work out what's going on

You don't understand how textures work :D

3.3 is PNG, 4.0 is tga.

4.0 is bigger on disk, but the same size per texture in memory - all textures are converted to DXT upon load, regardless of the initial format.

4.0 loads faster.

4.0 also scales properly in memory usage if you run KSP at a lowered detail level, because MipMap generation for the PNG loader is somewhat broken.

No I think I understand. That is exactly what I said. So now your pack is 100x bigger to speed up loading times.

I don't reduce the texture detail anyway because I have a video card that was made in the last ten years.

I think most people have the spare 70MB of video memory. Seems like a lot more people will not have a spare 700MB of physical memory VS the measly 70MB of video memory.

No offense intended, but if the old textures where 70MB on disk and 70MB in memory, then the new change is only affecting loading times.

It also looks like the full 700MB of version 4.0 is getting loaded into memory briefly causing some people to actually have memory problems.

So I have a hard time understanding the reason behind the change if the game software isn't going to handle it correctly until .23 anyway.

Idk if it is B9 aerospace that is doing this ---> Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation. Or what it even means i would love to have some info on it or a way to fix it.
Similar for me:

Error occurred at 2013-10-20_214008.

D:\KSP\KSP.exe, run by Danny.

84% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [1241 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2844 MB free].

0 MB user address space [71 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

And the only mods I have are B9, KAS, Firespitter parts, Kethane, Interplanetary travel, and a couple of small things.

Despite some of the numbers, I'm fairly certain that this is a RAM-bottleneck-based crash. Mainly because I'm fairly certain that 99% of my crashes are due to this and I see similar messages all the time.

How am I so certain? Because I only have 2g of RAM and am running B9,TV,DR,KW,FAR,AIES,Novapunch, KOSMOS, some of the soviet and american packs, lazor, kethane and approximately 40 other mods, some of which though, are pared down a bit.

So yeah, I get a lot of crashes :D

**edit**

Obviously I havn't upgraded to R4.0 yet :D

No I think I understand. That is exactly what I said. So now your pack is 100x bigger to speed up loading times.

I don't reduce the texture detail anyway because I have a video card that was made in the last ten years.

I think most people have the spare 70MB of video memory. Seems like a lot more people will not have a spare 700MB of physical memory VS the measly 70MB of video memory.

No offense intended, but if the old textures where 70MB on disk and 70MB in memory, then the new change is only affecting loading times.

It also looks like the full 700MB of version 4.0 is getting loaded into memory briefly causing some people to actually have memory problems.

So I have a hard time understanding the reason behind the change if the game software isn't going to handle it correctly until .23 anyway.

No, you keep not getting it. PNG and TGA texture of the same size have the same memory usage. Both System and Video RAM.

Also getting a ram bottleneck as well, never had this problem with B9 before.

Only running 2 other mods as well, KAS and Hooligan labs, and my system has 8 gigs of ram...

I removed Novapunch, KSP Interstellar, and pretty much ever thing else.

Somehow this is really pushing the 3.5 gig limit even on its own.

I understand how textures work.

But i cant understand why you using those incredible big textures in a game.

CF34 Turbofan Engine - using 2048 x 2048 Pixels size texture and eating up 12Mb+3Mb+model memory alone,but why?

You really dont need ultrasharp-HD-ultragiga skyrim textures in KSP (maybe on the planet ground textures but thats a different story).

From now on, there will be an official low-resolution set of textures included in the archive.

Yes please :D

I had serious doubts about the other guy's texture reduction pack, but then it made me able to run B9 parts on top of my rocket parts... Would be nice to have it without getting 2 different files :D

Then why is the pack size 100x bigger? Obviously that full 700MB has to be loaded into your system memory at some point before the game software can process it.

Whatever small gains you are getting from loading faster isn't worth the 100x size on disk.

If one has to lower texture detail to play KSP as it is, then one is in the minority of people who don't have a contemporary video card.

I doubt that whatever gains you get through lowering texture detail will fix the fact that the computer isn't equipped to play video games.

So, yes I keep not getting why this pack has to be 700MB now when the 70MB version I had, is working just fine.

I understand how textures work.

But i cant understand why you using those incredible big textures in a game.

CF34 Turbofan Engine - using 2048 x 2048 Pixels size texture and eating up 12Mb+3Mb+model memory alone,but why?

You really dont need ultrasharp-HD-ultragiga skyrim textures in KSP (maybe on the planet ground textures but thats a different story).

We've resized a number of those in the main pack. The CF34 is one of them, but I found 5 other 2048x textures I shrunk to 1024.

Its not that we wanted to ship them that way - the textures are just created at a higher res and then downsampled, but occasionally the latter step gets forgotten.

We're still uploading, although I think spaceport just crashed.

Then why is the pack size 100x bigger? Obviously that full 700MB has to be loaded into your system memory at some point before the game software can process it.

Whatever small gains you are getting from loading faster isn't worth the 100x size on disk.

If one has to lower texture detail to play KSP as it is, then one is in the minority of people who don't have a contemporary video card.

I doubt that whatever gains you get through lowering texture detail will fix the fact that the computer isn't equipped to play video games.

So, yes I keep not getting why this pack has to be 700MB now when the 70MB version I had, is working just fine.

Not sure where you are getting the 100x figure, the pack was around 100mb before and is now 586mb unpacked. Memory footprint is identical because either way raw bitmap data gets dumped into memory even if you are using PNG, and because after initial loading all source files are removed from the memory, leaving only GPU-supported DDS files that have completely identical size no matter the source texture format.

Some measurements I did in my install (it has several other mods):

B9 3.3 - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.8GB in Task Manager.

B9 3.3 and PolecatEZ texture pack - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.6GB in Task Manager.

B9 4.0 - KSP crashes as memory usages reaches 3.4GB

So yeah... something is odd if the only thing changed was the format from PNG to TGA.

Some measurements I did in my install (it has several other mods):

B9 3.3 - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.8GB in Task Manager.

B9 3.3 and PolecatEZ texture pack - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.6GB in Task Manager.

B9 4.0 - KSP crashes as memory usages reaches 3.4GB

So yeah... something is odd if the only thing changed was the format from PNG to TGA.

We also added 35 parts :P