[WIP] Living large: Iva and station stuff.:.

ahappydude

After the seat stuff i wanted to make living spaces for our dear friends. So i started doing smaller room, living quarter etc. But then i remebered an old movie called biodome(i think?) And i got many ideas i want to try and put in haha.

In this specefic part, there is an asteroid where the kerbal had started an small colony. There are animations for an simple airhatch door(To later have an proper airhatch with if its possible airhissing out when you cycles the doors) An flag that i tried making animation so it looks like it mooves with physics. Threre is also an ropeladder that has a lot of small rigidbodies so it moves but not like a real rope:/ cheers

Warning,big pictures

QQFkKq1.png

Py2sLZy.png

eL7qWTB.jpg

The legs on the pics are the vanillia landinglegs just rescaled, sop landing wont be hard, but i made them optional to the dome so you dont have to use them. Im planning on doing a very small bay so you can launch of smaller vessels.

Dont worry for kerbals to flailing around ;) Thanks to dukeofhells http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/sea-sickness-cure/ and hooligans http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/squid-paramagnetic-force-system/walking on stations is a more possible thing =)

Warning for another round of big pictures

fwA5cuL.jpg Better size for the kerbals, the texture is just a placeholder until i make something that fits with the rest of the style

DuLzVh3.jpg Taking some fresh air

dzWXs6f.jpg I think he is regretting taking this trip

GAgfmqd.jpg Great now he wont leave the cabin (or he got stuck on the door collider hahaha)

ZHwwC68.jpg

knR4tJa.jpg Time to move to the moon (the flag uses some animations so you can raise it, and it moves like in a fake wind

and one from unity

GjW6z6e.png

Protective helmet for the travels between and outside the domes

mbqGNc8.png

bga85p2.png

Placeholding textures and a simple but nice visir with animation

mZJUOne.png

Oxygen tank that uses the oxygen system from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ioncross-crew-support-plugin/

These plus a pair of boots are all using the wonderfull kas, but unfortuneatly the attached model wobbles as it wont attach and stay on the surface of what you are attaching to

Warning for bugs =) Its pretty functional for an early release i think Good luck^^ c I would remond using dukesofhell http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25695-Sea-Sickness-Cure-walking-on-floating-vessels plugin, and http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ioncross-crew-support-plugin/ plugin, and lastly http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23774-0-19-1-HL-Airship-and-Party-Experimentation-Center-New-Rigid-Envelope-Dodec to easier transport have fun!

I tried some optimezing but its still an huge baseobject so if you feel it taking to much power for your computer deletate the part and wait for better version =)

This is the first in a row of domes, an pioner home. Hatch door have no animation or collider, but they are being smoothen out =) So they will come

Too unstable part, wait for a newer version =&/

Edited by ahappydude

Well thank you sire=) Would a commandstation fit or would it just clutter the dome?

I will test it more today and take better screens. It counts as a commandpod, but as you see its hollow o you can put commandseats/other parts inside or outside the dome. I want to make a better glasseffect so thats is also on the list. The glas protect the kerbals and using hooligans squid you can sometime walk while gravity is on ;)

Using the crew and life support mod works good, when the air is finished in the dome the kerbal dies haha

I also done a very simple stasis-sleeping pod, but for that i want to make a plugin that disable the control and makes the kerbal "sleeping" I got a sprite made of Zs spawning haha. Cheers

I got a new asteroid that i made more hollow, and it will be smaller scale and be the hq with my prev commandstation and some otherstuff. I want to to a third that will act like an hangar and a fourth that has a sleeping quarter.

The airhatch module is done modelwise, i will try to add nodes the same way the modularmagneticmodules dudes did( which if you havnt tried you must do!) Does ksp support unity particles? In that case i could add air hissing out and such

Edit

Haha thanks man! :) But its not really really good yet but it will, btw your corridors fits right into the airhatch door ;) Thanks for the response.!

Edited by ahappydude

amZsjiP.jpg

and two ingame shoots

WCpPh4X.jpg

ujPZdrC.jpg

Jeb is restless and need a adventure

Added an roofhatch for future launching of smaller vessels and iva trips, sorted so the glass looking better.

Also did some trials with grass and such, if you set the animation speed and use vanguards animation modules that also can drain energy, you could have a garden that slowly grows if you tend to it and later produces oxygen resources.

Edited by ahappydude

Glad to see people other then me also wanted biodomes =) Hm yes, first thing i made was the glass pattern that took it time and then the base for the first asteroid. I was thinking of a floating base first, but then wanted to make like modular biodomes that could be used for various things. Etc commandcenter, an compact garage, sleeping quarter.

You dome looks epic for a good mining base =D

ed

Edited by ahappydude

nice, more biodomes! we can never have enough :)

Kerbtrek, 1 suggestion, a base around the bottom of the glass.. it doesn't look very airtight :)

mine are pretty much done, release in a day or so I want to get the door animations working better with the colliders..

image.php?id=2DBA_51751A01&jpg

image.php?id=3B62_51751A01&jpg

image.php?id=72E9_51751A01&jpg

image.php?id=3B02_51751A01&jpg

Edited by Devo

devo:I agree =D Woah, nice glass effect you got working there , ramp looks real nifty to! What kindof scale do you use for the garage door? Nice to see that many variations of domes are coming hehe. I made some modules for transporting the kerbals around in the dome, a very basic elevator for example, a simliar setup to a zipline, which i want you to be able to use in and out of the dome haha. I need to redo my animation curves to, so it looks more like it happens irl and not spastik movements haha.

Kayaking4autism Now i remeber your dome dude, it was an awesome package of parts. And it was very early for that kinda of great mod for the kerbals.=) How many levels/layers are in your dome? I digg how you made it so customizable for the users. I read abouyt what happend with your harddrive and life, iam very sorry for the loss.. I have no children myself , but my mom and dad knows what you going trough. I lost my littlebrother early in life and i miss him every day and i will miss him for the rest of my life, but i cherish the good memories before the bad started. On a happier note, glad to se you back to ksp and some modding =)

Edited by ahappydude

devo:I agree =D Woah, nice glass effect you got working there , ramp looks real nifty to! What kindof scale do you use for the garage door? Nice to see that many variations of domes are coming hehe. I made some modules for transporting the kerbals around in the dome, a very basic elevator for example, a simliar setup to a zipline, which i want you to be able to use in and out of the dome haha. I need to redo my animation curves to, so it looks more like it happens irl and not spastik movements haha.

Kayaking4autism Now i remeber your dome dude, it was an awesome package of parts. And it was very early for that kinda of great mod for the kerbals.=) How many levels/layers are in your dome? I digg how you made it so customizable for the users. I read abouyt what happend with your harddrive and life, iam very sorry for the loss.. I have no children myself , but my mom and dad knows what you going trough. I lost my littlebrother early in life and i miss him every day and i will miss him for the rest of my life, but i cherish the good memories before the bad started. On a happier note, glad to se you back to ksp and some modding =)

The garage door was just a piece of the dome cut out and seperated, I think the biggest dome is 64 meters in diameter, but the only way I can get it to the mun it VTOL by a sky-crane type craft, any ideas on how we would build a delivery system for biodomes? im more than happy to work on something like that with you guys, we are all going to need one.

Did you made an extra object for the glass shader or did you apply it directly? Sounds huuuge haha but its good, will be a very handy plattform for further activitites =) Hmm... Good point I have tried it with hooligans ballons, maybe some kind of orbital balloon, But what kind superballoon could lift these babys up haha, blimp ballon? Hmm, maybe not balloons.

I remember seeing a cargo elevator when i was a kid,cant remeber the name, but using a setup of that and with a booster big enough to get the dome to the space. Then when you decuople the elevator travels back down.

I saw endelsswaves been tinkering with a kind of tracksystem that lies on the ground. Would iWonder if it would be possible to make a simliar rigg but standing up for the transportation. Something like http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/startram-leo-0.jpeg

Nice to talk ideas ^^

Edited by ahappydude

A baloon into orbit isnt a bad idea.. would need to be one mother of a baloon, unless I figure away to collapse and fold up all the triangles into neat packages and have it unfold at the other end, man that would take me a long time to animate...

The glass is simply an alpha transparent texture applied directly to the object with the KSP transparent option in unity, its pretty easy. There is only one downside to the KSP part tools option, in unity 3.x there is no slider for opacity (there is if you use the unity texture, but the KSP one looks more like glass in KSP) so if you want to make your windows more see-through, or transparent, you need to reduce the transparency or opacity in your paint program and try the new texture, keep going until you get the desired effect. All my glass is set to 68 percent opacity.

p.s link didnt work for me..

Edited by Devo

http://www.startram.com/ This works better^^

That would look slick but i cant think about how long it would take :o So dont stress yourself =) Hm yes, maybe in double the size of the one that lifted felix for his jump?

Aha, opacity whas the thing i forgot, i thought i had checked everthing haha thanks for that info! If you havnt tried it yet, dukesofhells seasick plugin and hooligans squid plates works really good for kerbal actitvities =) cheers

VcGcl6w.jpg

Edited by ahappydude

No worries dude =) Iv been down and up from that hole, taking long walks and listening to music that have good memories or makes works pretty good but ofc im still angry and sad , but i hope to meet him in any sort of way in the afterlife. What we can do is try our best to honour them in our life =) So hang in there mate,

Going to be sweet trying yours and devos dome out later on ;) Hm, make sure you have the latest parttools you can also try to press alt+F2 to bring down the log and maybe then you see why its acting that way =)

Great ideas you have, do you mean like a hologram in a way for the printing? I dont know when we get the resources update but it is possible to make and use custom ones iv seen ;)

I made an tiny airtank for the use in iva, the dome itself hase air for a couple of days, but i wanted the kerbal to be limited to an small airsupply in a amore realstic manor. I aslo tried some stuff with grass and flowers, they can be assigned to grow using an animation(real slow haha) and with a custom resource they can produce air for your kerbals on those long travels or in their bases.^^

Wow that a big comperssion optimization wise, that i also need to look over before making it public so most of the players can try it.

Got an idea for the shape of an tug balloon that (if it seems like a good idea haha) You attach to the moving plate of the elevator track so it lifts that spec part up and not the entire dome.

cheers for the response

Edited by ahappydude

I got a transport system im trying out ^^ For now it works good with hooligans balloons+some vtol rockets. Yeah you could make foldable animation but that takes for ages and a lot of fiddeling

Pics incoming

I started on the second floor on the hq dome, installed an elevator using damned robotics code. Im trying a way to transport these big babes , maybe got an idea . For now hooligans balloons works pretty good, and you can combine them with vtol rockets

MumA5ug.png

4yA4dpF.jpg

Hereeees Johnny hahaha

bt6rhe9.png

Ab4Lj2U.png

And ofcourse i forgot that i used the same material for the door and the door round window haha xp.

Somewhere on the way for the sky Need to rescale the hatch a tinybit for kerbal size, and move back the protective glas that the kerbal must enter before leaving/entering.

Edited by ahappydude

Where can I download your dome from? Unity? I did my dome all in blender, node collider by node collider with a mu-mechtoggle the good old fashioned way. I've only ever made 2 parts in Unity, starbug and a rediculously long ladder.

I think your dome may be just small enough to 3d print in the rear bay of my new colony ship.

For now, nowhere hehe =) It isnt ready yet, i started with the "floating" island first but later on i wanted to have a more kspstyle so i have changed it a little bit. I made the pieaces seperatly then merged them in unity.

I was afraid of having a to complex convex if i made them in one :)But it has taken some time. The most important thing for me is to optimize it enough so more then i can enjoy it =)

I think im going to work on it more this night, i got a feling i wont be able to sleep. Started on the first couple of decks to, which im going to incorpirate my commandstation ^^ Oh really ? Small enough Dam your ship must be huuuuge.

That sounds like a pain to do, did you mesh show up ingame now? If not post the log(alt+f2) Then maybe i can help you out. I started on a transportation for the domes but it still got pretty many kinks X

Do you have any pics of that printer and/or from your mining? Would be interesting to see ^^ cheers

Edited by ahappydude

Sounds like a good plan =) More domes we got, more ways we can build bases ^^ Heres some new pics

guzjv62.png

ERNtnSy.jpg What did you see?! COllider for chair, stairs , flooring door works real good

xvMl4JV.jpg Getting some heat and light. Future on maybe coldness will be a element in a plugin or something.

Qb9NF34.jpg Trying out different animations for the tree and grass to grow and to produce oxygen in a realstic paste.

z3Uc3CL.png You can get pretty high up with a good placement of the balloon. New legs works much better

4erJeNc.png Better texture for second dome, the one that hasnt got as much love as the first lol

MGPpLHb.png Run Kenny run(new dome)

kbinHss.png with arms that grab and a elevating plattform before launch trough the hatch

v8ski9I.png

bTKgbTa.png

fJ9M1Dl.png

HsdMlnV.png The floor and esce stairs is two seperate parts, showing how you could build floors in your room instead of clutter them in unity. More customize ;)

Edited by ahappydude

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.