KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

*siren* A new challenger approaches!

Presenting Avianwolf Industries' first (operational) battleship, the Tribunal Class-Light Variant, MK III! This ship has room for 6 crew, and enough docking ports for weaponry of all shapes and sizes. It's no supercarrier, but it will put a dent in any vessel that challenges it. It's also quite light on lag, at only 137 parts and 76 tons.

CEWu9ln.jpg

The bow of the ship.

NqZ9l94.jpg

A closer look at the fore of the vessel, you can see the SRB rockets, the front two solar sails and some of the small docking ports.

3gkb8t2.jpg

Lots of small hardpoints (16 in total!).

aPcPA6P.jpg

You can see the backup control computer here, next to the docking port and 4 nuclear generators. Also, it's only powered by two nuclear engines, so I'd presume it will be a little slow.

Oh, and how do I put in spoiler tags, so this post doesn't melt anyone's computer?

Edited by OathToAwesome
Added weight and part count

Just as an update to the Chimera-class, I managed to trim the part count of the unarmed and no engines configuration from 410 parts in the original empty configuration to just 366 parts in this retrofit. It also looks cleaner and sleeker now following a more standardized design for the hulls of the modules.

The Retrofitted empty configuration

vdsYJbX.jpg

I've also decided to double the amount of SRB missiles it can carry from 2 to 4 while reducing the kinetic kill torpedo capacity down to just 8. I thought that since this thing can carry 4 fighters anyway, I'll need the main ship for taking out cap ships instead of duking it out with heavy fighters/bombers and corvettes.

Overall stability was also improved in the form of Jr. Docking Ports now flanking the Sr. ones that connect the linear modules to the Core module.

The new additional Jr. clamps located at the sides of the modules to provide extra stability and reduce docking screw-ups when replacing modules.

9wgny5k.jpg

The next step is to come up with a slimmer kinetic torpedo design since the large part count of 12 per torpedo in the original design contributed to the huge part count of its predecessor. I'm also considering whether to maintain the old engine configuration of 10 Nuclear engines with huge fuel tanks or go for a slimmer one using a bunch of FL-T800s instead with maybe just 6 engines. And there's also the problem of individual fighters' ASAS' interferring with the ships main ASAS as I found out when I was running trial dockings of my fighters on Kerbin with gravity hacks.

Just as an update to the Chimera-class, I managed to trim the part count of the unarmed and no engines configuration from 410 parts in the original empty configuration to just 366 parts in this retrofit. It also looks cleaner and sleeker now following a more standardized design for the hulls of the modules.

The Retrofitted empty configuration

*snip*

I've also decided to double the amount of SRB missiles it can carry from 2 to 4 while reducing the kinetic kill torpedo capacity down to just 8. I thought that since this thing can carry 4 fighters anyway, I'll need the main ship for taking out cap ships instead of duking it out with heavy fighters/bombers and corvettes.

Overall stability was also improved in the form of Jr. Docking Ports now flanking the Sr. ones that connect the linear modules to the Core module.

The new additional Jr. clamps located at the sides of the modules to provide extra stability and reduce docking screw-ups when replacing modules.

*snip*

The next step is to come up with a slimmer kinetic torpedo design since the large part count of 12 per torpedo in the original design contributed to the huge part count of its predecessor. I'm also considering whether to maintain the old engine configuration of 10 Nuclear engines with huge fuel tanks or go for a slimmer one using a bunch of FL-T800s instead with maybe just 6 engines. And there's also the problem of individual fighters' ASAS' interferring with the ships main ASAS as I found out when I was running trial dockings of my fighters on Kerbin with gravity hacks.

Are your kinetic missiles stacked or side-by-side? You can make a simple 5-part torpedo either way by taking a cubic octagonal strut and putting a mini nosecone on the front, two separatrons on the sides, and a mini-decoupler on the back for a side-by-side configuration, or replace the nosecone with an Oscar-B mini tank for a stackable version.

You could also make a smaller (part count) engine block by instead putting two Jumbo-64's on the sides, add either a bi- or tri-coupler on the back, put NERVAs on the couplers, and plate the whole thing. I could do it for you if you could release or PM me the craft file.

I'de imagine pretty well as pulling creates less stress, That's why in Avatar the main ship is being "Pulled" So to speak.

The ISV Venture Star actually is "Pushed" all throughout its voyage; the engines burn to push it on its way along with assistance from laser batteries, and it flips over and thrusts to slow down. I don't see how its engines "Pull" it anywhere....

*siren* A new challenger approaches!

Presenting Avianwolf Industries' first (operational) battleship, the Tribunal Class-Light Variant, MK III! This ship has room for 6 crew, and enough docking ports for weaponry of all shapes and sizes. It's no supercarrier, but it will put a dent in any vessel that challenges it.

CEWu9ln.jpg

The bow of the ship.

NqZ9l94.jpg

A closer look at the fore of the vessel, you can see the SRB rockets, the front two solar sails and some of the small docking ports.

3gkb8t2.jpg

Lots of small hardpoints (16 in total!).

aPcPA6P.jpg

You can see the backup control computer here, next to the docking port and 4 nuclear generators. Also, it's only powered by two nuclear engines, so I'd presume it will be a little slow.

Oh, and how do I put in spoiler tags, so this post doesn't melt anyone's computer?

You've made a common error with this ship; the command module is on the bow, and exposed to fire. A single hit, and your ship has no control anymore, unless you mounted a backup system.

Edited by Lazurkri

Regarding the isv venture star, it's pulled, not pushed :) It pulls for acceleration, flips and pulls for deceleration :) That's a recurring concept for long range space travel, because it's way more lightweight than a pusher configuration :) (thus, by saving on structural weight, you save on fuel, and you can use smaller engines for a given payload)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Someone should take all the stock .crafts from this and make a space army :P

I reckon we need to make a rocket builders company with the ppl on this thread!! :)

The ship that best fills the roles for each category (fighter, corvette, carrier) (and looks coolest) becomes the one the company uses and sells.?

I reckon we need to make a rocket builders company with the ppl on this thread!! :)

The ship that best fills the roles for each category (fighter, corvette, carrier) (and looks coolest) becomes the one the company uses and sells.?

Taking everything here, no one would stand a chance, assuming we could get everything into orbit legit. :D (Take a word from Jeb: Space tape + Jumbo 64 + Mainsail = Orbit) Still, great idea!

Edited by Pershonkey

The ISV Venture Star actually is "Pushed" all throughout its voyage; the engines burn to push it on its way along with assistance from laser batteries, and it flips over and thrusts to slow down. I don't see how its engines "Pull" it anywhere....

You've made a common error with this ship; the command module is on the bow, and exposed to fire. A single hit, and your ship has no control anymore, unless you mounted a backup system.

That's what the last picture is showing. I suppose I could control it from one of the two lander-cans on the side, but I have a feeling that would just make the navball screwy compared to the ship.

Taking everything here, no one would stand a chance, assuming we could get everything into orbit legit. :D (Take a word from Jeb: Space tape + Jumbo 64 + Mainsail = Orbit) Still, great idea!

Can I do the honors of creating this thread? I will call it the KIDA - Kerbal Interplanetary Defense Administration. We would include every craft that can do it's job correctly, not only the best ones, as people might judge crafts differently based on their needs.

Can I do the honors of creating this thread? I will call it the KIDA - Kerbal Interplanetary Defense Administration. We would include every craft that can do it's job correctly, not only the best ones, as people might judge crafts differently based on their needs.

Layout and stuff would have to be planned first. :) I was thinking that there would be a 'main ship' for each type which would have more a more detailed description and pictures. I was thinking that they would be judged on a 'specification' in which the requirements would be posted. All the runners up would still be shown and have craft files available. :) Its just if every ship was shown of in the front page then it would get cluttered.

Are your kinetic missiles stacked or side-by-side? You can make a simple 5-part torpedo either way by taking a cubic octagonal strut and putting a mini nosecone on the front, two separatrons on the sides, and a mini-decoupler on the back for a side-by-side configuration, or replace the nosecone with an Oscar-B mini tank for a stackable version.

You could also make a smaller (part count) engine block by instead putting two Jumbo-64's on the sides, add either a bi- or tri-coupler on the back, put NERVAs on the couplers, and plate the whole thing. I could do it for you if you could release or PM me the craft file.

They're stacked. The torpedoes use 1 half-length I-beam as the penetrator with 8 sepratrons in 2 sets of 4x symmetry in a sort-of stacked manner with a mini-decoupler and two jr. docking ports on the front and rear to allow stacking. I've actually updated the design to reduce it from 12 parts down to just 5.

Here they are side-by-side in the VAB

jBZzX33.jpg

As for the engines, I've considered the idea of using the tricoupler with the orange tank and I'll post the pics and the craft files after I've finished armoring them.

======================================================================================================================

Not exactly an update for the Chimera-class but I just wanted to share something that I did with the ship that exploits both its modular design and the fact that I'm still testing everything about it on Kerbin though with gravity hacks when necessary such as in flight and weapons testing.

Behold, the Chimera-class Surface Explorer!!

ejr6idx3i36ci306g.jpg

And here it is ramming the very first carrier I ever built that I was using for target practice which predates the Chimera-class.

95s8uud5a6wan3y6g.jpg

For obvious reasons, this was more of me just having fun with the ship rather than actually doing anything particularly useful with it. :D

Thought i'd bring a ship I posted in the Spiritwolf/Hanland Thread over here :)

The Hanland Research and Development Team (me) is proud to present...

The X-5 Assault Frigate!

4MH2J8e.jpg?1

(Bad quality, I know :( )

With 8 junior docking ports for small armaments, 2 standard docking ports for large SRB missiles, and a reinforced nose section should everything else fail, the X-5 is more than a match for anything in its weight class and above. With only moderate armor plating protecting the ship, the X-5 relies on its small profile and speed when in a hostile engagement. Built to deal damage and get out fast, the X-5 is perfect for skirmishes and being the first attacker in a fleet engagement.

On it's way to space...

yTanuna.png?2

Circularization burn...

nQ9VrCt.png?1

Orbit!

xQ0ERhT.png?1

Specs:

142 parts (168 w/ launcher)

~4000 m/s delta-v fully fueled

4 Nuclear Engines

1440 Liquid Fuel

8 Jr. Docking Ports

2 Standard Docking Ports

400 Units RCS

Production Blueprints available by request!

Layout and stuff would have to be planned first. :) I was thinking that there would be a 'main ship' for each type which would have more a more detailed description and pictures. I was thinking that they would be judged on a 'specification' in which the requirements would be posted. All the runners up would still be shown and have craft files available. :) Its just if every ship was shown of in the front page then it would get cluttered.

Should I just create it and then edit it later? I kinda want to model it after the Zokesia Skunkworks thread, with categories such as corvettes, frigates, gunships, crew transporters, and carriers, as well as various warhead and missile designs. Perhaps there could be a "featured" page with the best in class of every category, based on an overall ratings system that would have points such as part count, range, speed, weapons effectiveness, accuracy, armor effectiveness, and handling, which would be rated on a scale of 1 to 10 and then averaged.

Edited by minerman30

In order to rebuild the damage from the Great April Derp, it´s my honor to repost my old post from the precursor of this thread.

"I hope that you aren´t KIDIng me. This is awesome!"

That´s all. Good work. Keep it up.

Edited by Jones-250
asdf?

Should I just create it and then edit it later? I kinda want to model it after the Zokesia Skunkworks thread, with categories such as corvettes, frigates, gunships, crew transporters, and carriers, as well as various warhead and missile designs. Perhaps there could be a "featured" page with the best in class of every category, based on an overall ratings system that would have points such as part count, range, speed, weapons effectiveness, accuracy, armor effectiveness, and handling, which would be rated on a scale of 1 to 10 and then averaged.

I agree :) That page is very well laid out. There should also be an employees section to show who is currently working for the company same as the other companys. :D Ok I reckon you should go ahead and create it!!

Tip: 'reserve' a few posts at the start in case the first one fills up. :) (basicly just make a post and write reserved on it) :D

Hopefully we can keep it a bit more organised than the current thread. :P

Also, I reckon we should make some standardised vessel classifications for easier comparisons?

Hey guys, just wanted to say that my second Hardshell ship is taking shape. It is humongous and ridiculous, a hangar made to house my planned fighters, yet large enough to hold two Turtles (in theory). The Hardshell Tortoise will soon be publicly showed (If my computer does not blow up from the part count).

I agree :) That page is very well laid out. There should also be an employees section to show who is currently working for the company same as the other companys. :D Ok I reckon you should go ahead and create it!!

Tip: 'reserve' a few posts at the start in case the first one fills up. :) (basicly just make a post and write reserved on it) :D

Hopefully we can keep it a bit more organised than the current thread. :P

Also, I reckon we should make some standardised vessel classifications for easier comparisons?

Done!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39029-KIDA-Kerbal-Interplanetary-Defense-Administration

Also, you're hired, and we need a logo and motto.

Thought i'd bring a ship I posted in the Spiritwolf/Hanland Thread over here :)

The Hanland Research and Development Team (me) is proud to present...

The X-5 Assault Frigate!

*snip*

(Bad quality, I know :( )

With 8 junior docking ports for small armaments, 2 standard docking ports for large SRB missiles, and a reinforced nose section should everything else fail, the X-5 is more than a match for anything in its weight class and above. With only moderate armor plating protecting the ship, the X-5 relies on its small profile and speed when in a hostile engagement. Built to deal damage and get out fast, the X-5 is perfect for skirmishes and being the first attacker in a fleet engagement.

On it's way to space...

*snip*

Circularization burn...

*snip*

Orbit!

*snip*

Specs:

142 parts (168 w/ launcher)

~4000 m/s delta-v fully fueled

4 Nuclear Engines

1440 Liquid Fuel

8 Jr. Docking Ports

2 Standard Docking Ports

400 Units RCS

Production Blueprints available by request!

I'm requesting production blueprints.

CF-20B Carrier Fighter: A compact and light fighter armed with 6 sepatron missiles. Its agile and fast while having a respectable dV of just over 1000m/s

Stats (Without Weaponry)

Cost: 6925

Mass: 4.8 Tons

dV: 1415m/s

TWR: 1.0

CF-20A

sGSFy9Y.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83rqao5fg37m2ga/CF-20B%20Stock.craft

Hotkeys 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 will launch missiles, in that order :) Also has an abort system

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Alright here is some early footage of my Hardshell Tortoise carrier.

This insanely huge craft with over 700 parts will most likely be rarely used due to its size despite the heavy armor.

screenshot26.png

Even without the Hardshell armor, it is quite heavily armored.

screenshot29.png

It features many docking ports that can be used for either crafts or supplies. The two small docking ports on the fronts can be used to fire off small torpedoes in times of needs, as well as the two front small docking ports on the main module in the middle.

screenshot27.png

Incoming ambush? don't worry, the back of the ship is armored as well.

screenshot28.png

The main module features docking ports to allow the parts to be changed, in case of emergencies, it can eject all parts to allow the main module to fly away, carrying the same functions as the Turtle.

screenshot30.png

I consider this craft heavily overkill. but it is awesome to look at. and it can in theory hold two Turtles on the upper and lowers Hardshell armor. (either inside or outside)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.