Windows 3

hotmailcompany52

I can see all that, Foamy.

My mother recently got a Windows 8 laptop, and - let me just say - Ohm not amused. x3

I'm just not a big fan of the design overall. The "boot to start", I could get over if it just didn't..... LOOK the way it does.

It makes me feel like it's trying to be flashier than it needs to be, heh.

So, while it's great, I must say that I am going to stick with Windows 7, which, for multiple reasons that I know of, is proven to work for games better than 8 is...

Its almost hilarious how fast much older OSes tend to load on modern hardware. I never tried 3.1 since 95 came out, but back arounr the days of xp sp1 i did try win95. A wimpy little 64 mb install, lol. Booted quick, did most thngs really quick. I think 3.1 will seem to be shockingly fast to boot and responsive.

• 2 years later...
I really don't remember anyone in the industry referring to Windows NT as Windows 4. It might have been labelled internally as 4.x, but for almost everyone, it was Windows NT, and it actually came after Windows 95.

I also had the extreme displeasure of owning Windows Me, which was probably the worst version of Windows ever.

Actually, most people don't know this, but Windows NT had 2 versions. 4.x was the most commonly known, but it had a previous version, 3.51. Again, had Workstation and Server editions, but Workstation was the most common. Many people preferred to use NT 4 workstation rather than 3.11 for Workgroups. When Windows NOT-ME was released (I hear all you laughing, and you all know why...lol) Windows 2000 came out. Truth be told, 2000 Professional, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server all came out, then ME was released, due to the general public crying like little kids because their last release was 98SE (which had a major bug to begin with after it's RTM, of which they sent a seperate CD or had you download the fix). Yes sir, good times...I can remember all the way back to DOS 2.1, and DeskView with QEMM386 as your memory manager. :):cool:

- - - Updated - - -

2 worst mistakes Microsoft admittedly made were Windows ME and Windows Vista. 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, in the sense of stability and operating. It ranks right up there with the many years of stability XP Professional Edition gave not only the people at home, but the Enterprise Businesses as well, and today 90% of the Business Enterprise is still running XP. Costs to do the upgrade are far more expensive than leaving well enough alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Its almost hilarious how fast much older OSes tend to load on modern hardware. I never tried 3.1 since 95 came out, but back arounr the days of xp sp1 i did try win95. A wimpy little 64 mb install, lol. Booted quick, did most thngs really quick. I think 3.1 will seem to be shockingly fast to boot and responsive.

That's because Windows 3.11 was not a true operating system, it required MS-DOS and it was mearly a shell that sat on top of DOS. Much in the same respect as Linux operates. Its real look is that of a command prompt driven system, but you can get many different desktop environments that interface with it as a shell. Ubuntu happens to be just one in a couple hundred. KDE, GNOME, are more other common ones...

I run win 8.1 now, works very smoothly. The "start screen" is a bit much (its... a full screen thing) but I don't spend all that much time looking at it. It's a program launcher, that happens to support dynamic icons/tiles.

And it reminds me... of Windows 3.x.

Because the app launcher screen has (unwalled) panes, in which you can re-arrange icons on a grid, just like you could inside Win 3.x Program Manager windows.

Microsoft did a lot of user research, which told them people had trouble finding what they wanted in the Win3.x Program Manager messes of icons, and from that created a hierarchical, cascading start menu that packed more programs into a small but organized launcher space. Nonetheless, going from 3.x to Win9x, some people didn't like Microsoft forcing an organization scheme on them.

Win8 seemed to throw that Win9x research out, going back to a Program Manager type of solution.

Improvements over Win 3.x include the ability to just type at any time, and the launcher searches / filters apps by name, based on what you have typed. And you don't need to set up sub-windows to categorize different programs, just drag and drop into groupings as you like, the start screen will stretch and scroll to hold whatever number of things you care to link on it.

Microsoft did a lot of user research, which told them people had trouble finding what they wanted in the Win3.x Program Manager messes of icons, and from that created a hierarchical, cascading start menu that packed more programs into a small but organized launcher space. Nonetheless, going from 3.x to Win9x, some people didn't like Microsoft forcing an organization scheme on them.

And instead of learning how to use it... they let programs manage themselves.

Stuff like adobe reader (or ANY of its derivatives) doesn't need an icon anywhere; it automatically loads when needed by opening a document; other things create folders just to put pointless links in them. Why people can't spend 5 min cleaning up their start menu, I don't know... instead we get the trash standards from freedesktop.org, and we get the worse windows 7 version of the startmenu which is horrible if you want to use it like a start menu but good if you just search for things (a.k.a. slower).

Windows 8, of course elects for the "cool" factor of having unorganized "apps" that you page through... just like an un-smartphone.

Lowest common denominator... those are the people who current desktop environments target.

2 worst mistakes Microsoft admittedly made were Windows ME and Windows Vista. 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, in the sense of stability and operating. It ranks right up there with the many years of stability XP Professional Edition gave not only the people at home, but the Enterprise Businesses as well, and today 90% of the Business Enterprise is still running XP. Costs to do the upgrade are far more expensive than leaving well enough alone.

Vista was not a mistake. Vista was a major overhaul under the hood, which created the basis for not only Vista, but also 7 and 8. You can simply not expect a company to tweak a pretty much all new OS to perfection the first time around. It had some shortcomings and weaknesses, but was not a bad OS in the same sense some other OSs have been bad.

XP is dead because it does not update any more. Though many businesses still use it, it has become a serious security risk. It is just asking for financial or customer data being stolen, so seeing that a company is still using XP is a major red flag that they do not care or know how to reasonably secure their IT works. It would probably be wise to stay away from those companies.