[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

OH!!!! I wondered why on earth anyone was using the old file system on .20 I didn't think about a mod manager.

I stopped using that mod manager when I realized just how bad at installing mods it was even in .19, it kept ignoring internals, and was a disaster with mods that had alternate parts for mods I warn't using, (it kept installing FAR modification for NovaPunch I didn't have) or who's zips used a funny file structure, so yeah, mod managers = bad.

Sorry. Internals (and some more folders) have been fixed a while back. Since 1.5.6.X KSPMM used the new file structure. And it will automatically update part files with the PART { } wrapper if it can't detect it.

As far as I know, KSPMM haven't had any problems with funny file structure. As for mod makers packing several different mods into one file, not much KSPMM can do about that.

Any time I try to install the mod, the game always freezes when loading KAS/textures/cable. I just copied the KAS folder into Gamedata, but it doesn't seem to work.

I've tried fresh installs but it doesn't seem to work either

I um don't wanna be a pest or anything but I just noticed... There no longer a wench that attaches radially. Is there a reason?
Why is the radial winch gone? I want a convenient EVA tether for the shuttle, but those radial ones are way too bulky.

I acually wanted to merge the vertical stack winch and the radial winch. So instead of having two specific but similar parts, we will have only one but more flexible. I'm working on model and try to make il look nice on both the situations: stack and radial.

So I was wondering whether in an upcoming update we'd get a radial winch? The default KAS is sorely missing one as sometimes there just isn't a spot for either.

Luckily I've modified the vertical winches part.cfg to allow it to be attached radially and it works quite nicely, although it'll be pulled off if the thing being pulled is stuck behind something, although that is easily fixed using struts. It would be nice however for this to be in the default behaviour of the mod.

This is what i had in mind (from side view):

PgdPwzD.jpg

It should look like the actual vertical stack winch but instead of having a wide cylinder on the top , i will add a thin try square shape (I can maybe make it look like stock strut).

I will keep the node on the top for stack alignment. The red arrow show where to attach it radially.

Edited by winn75

Connector works fine. I haven't used hook on long cable yet. Would that even be feasible? I have enough trouble hitting the target with hook at 50 meters :D We really could use some sort of crosshair as targeting help.

Connector works fine. I haven't used hook on long cable yet. Would that even be feasible? I have enough trouble hitting the target with hook at 50 meters :D We really could use some sort of crosshair as targeting help.

I use lazercam right by the winch on my airships to target the hooks with....sometimes I still miss and bad things happen, but it helps a lot...if you mount the winch right you can get the cam close. In camera view you can be looking through 2 arms of the hook.

Edited by KhaosCorp

I use lazercam right by the winch on my airships to target the hooks with....sometimes I still miss and bad things happen, but it helps a lot...if you mount the winch right you can get the cam close. In camera view you can be looking through 2 arms of the hook.

On my .19.1 install I setup a DR hydrolic cylinder with a short steel girder on the end clipped upside down so it covers the ram, and inside that I have clipped a large DR hunge with a docking port and KAS with grapple. This is all mounted on a rotatron surface mounted inside an HL size B9 cargo hold. Ram collapsed and doors closed there's nothing visible. Open the door and extend the ram, activate docking cam and use the crosshairs to aim the grapple. The hinge and rotatron give full maneuverability :D

Hello,

I built an exploration Mun lander / carry vehicle to explore anomalies. First I built lander, then I attached stack connector to it, connector and then winch. On top of winch I build carrier vehicle. Trip to Mun went fine, carrier vehicle with landed on bottom landed, I detached lander (stack connector stayed on it) and explored the first anomaly. After that I parked lander below carrier vehicle, released cable from winch, brave Bob grabbed the yellow connector but when he wanted to re-attach connector to stack connector on lander, there was no pop-up window that would allow it. I'm now stranded on the Mun :( Can you tell me if its a bug or if I did something wrong?

Thanks

does this mods still cause random crazy physics issues?

I've been having some weird stuff happen with:

1) Command Chairs and the Kerbals sitting in them.

2) The KAS winch and electromagnet/grappling hook going crazy if they're released.

The Lazor mod is causing the first one and it may be related to the second one (the way Kerbals are getting punted out of my Command Chairs looks awfully similar to the way my electromagnet/grappling hooks are getting thrown around). Romfarer says the issue with (1) will be fixed on the next release of Lazor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9923-0-20-Lazor-System-v27-(May-24)?p=423782&viewfull=1#post423782 I'm hoping that will fix (2) too.

I have found another glitch with detachable ports. If you place one on a hatch, you can enter it, but on exit you'll get a "hatch is obstructed" message, therefore trapping yourself if you are not careful.

This could been avoided with some sort of way to "knock out" (detach) the connector when you try to exit, or just prevent placing connectors if intersecting with hatch colliders

Edited by nothke

I have found another glitch with detachable ports. If you place one on a hatch, you can enter it, but on exit you'll get a "hatch is obstructed" message, therefore trapping yourself if you are not careful.

This could been avoided with some sort of way to "knock out" (detach) the connector when you try to exit, or just prevent placing connectors if intersecting with hatch colliders

that's not really an issue with KAS, that's how KSP works...if a hatch is blocked you wont be able to exit, even if it lets ya in.

Easy fix: don't attach connection ports onto crew hatches =P

I must be doing something stupid; I'm trying to set up a KAS fuel transfer system between kethane miner and a refuel lander. I'm testing it out on the launch pad and I have my main lander with LFO and a connector port on the fueltank, and a strutted fuel tank attached to the red launch struts (for testing purposes) with a winch and connector. When I EVA and bring the plug up, the only option is plugging it in undocked - how can I enable the 'docked' mode so I can transfer fuel?

Edit: Derp - Apparently this only works if both vehicles have control parts. Once I decoupled the tank physically and gave it a probecore, it works.

Edited by waffleface

does this mods still cause random crazy physics issues?

About the random crazy physics I had two in a row, those only happened when plugging(docked) and the target vessel was less heavy, 5x to 10x lighter in my case. I found that plugging(undocked) then switching to (docked) hasn't failed on me yet. This way I avoid those insta-backflip cable pulls when plugging.

I must be doing something stupid; I'm trying to set up a KAS fuel transfer system between kethane miner and a refuel lander. I'm testing it out on the launch pad and I have my main lander with LFO and a connector port on the fueltank, and a strutted fuel tank attached to the red launch struts (for testing purposes) with a winch and connector. When I EVA and bring the plug up, the only option is plugging it in undocked - how can I enable the 'docked' mode so I can transfer fuel?

Edit: Derp - Apparently this only works if both vehicles have control parts. Once I decoupled the tank physically and gave it a probecore, it works.

I recently noticed the single option to plug(undocked) and it made all sense. I was plugging to a connector on the same vessel.

btw, in my case I was plugging to the power supply unit(a train of solar panels) that have no probecore and was already docked via the usual dockport to mining vessel. So, a single vessel at that time.

@ KhaosCorp - I do have the most recent version (I got it from the first page of this thread). I've also tried the 4.0 dev build which gives me the same problems.

I tried downloading a fresh KSP 0.20.2 without any other mods besides KAS and it still doesn't work. I installed the Plugins, Plugin Data, and Parts folders outside of the new "GameData" folder. I'll try installing it inside the "GameData" folder when I get home. I'm really perplexed as to why it is not working.