[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

KAS - Kerbal Attachment System

Latest version : 0.4.3 ALPHA (16 October)

TvvlpRRl.jpg

This mod introduce new gameplay mechanics by adding winches, hooks (magnet / grappling-hook / anchor), containers, grabbable & attachable parts, constructible struts and pipes.

It mainly focused to give some purpose to eva and can be used for many things :

•Resource transfer (winches or pipes)

•Towing parts (winches)

•Adding/removing part to a vessel (grabbable & attachable parts)

•Storing parts (containers)

•Bases/vessels interconnections (pipes)

•Vessel consolidation (struts & pipes)

•Grabbing parts (magnet)

•Cranes (winches)

•Airship anchoring (winches)

•Skycrane (winches)

•Elevator (winches)

•Etc...

Download on spaceport

- Important Notes -

Because of major changes, KAS v0.4.x is not compatible with previous version. Old vessel with KAS parts will have a great chance of not been loaded.

- More information -

KAS is now on GitHub.

Change log

Main page & source code

Default keyboard shortcut

Wiki (under construction)

Bug reporting

- Authors -

KospY : Plugin development and the ugly models (hook support, grapple, anchor)

Winn75 - Models and textures (connector, ports, winches and magnet)

zzz - Models and textures (containers, bays, strut, pipe and pylon)

Edited by KospY

Screenshots

Transfering fuel with pipes

veCRoqq.png

Eva attachable struts

xED1rGL.jpg

Part storage, grabbable containers

0DNLntX.jpg

An airship anchored on ground during a car lifting operation with the electro-magnet

i3zo6a6.jpg

Refueling a SSTO on the ground

c3dQVOR.jpg

Grabbing and locking a rover on a space ship

DXCzAht.jpg

Skycrane

LHrfAei.png

Refueling a SSTO in space

iFPloT7.jpg

Doing action movies

uHYHkze.png

Edited by KospY

Holy moly! Girlfriend can wait to meet me til tomorrow hahaha :D Thank you and your team, wonder what we can make with these...

Screenshots, please? Is grappling hook hand-held? Can kerbonauts carry it with them, fire it and use internal winch to get on top of Mun Arch Batman-style? :cool: Oh, the possibilities...

If the winch act like before, you can add the grab module so it shoots from the kerbal Yes i agree, sooooooooooo much we can do now Cheeeers and thanks. Great you made those documentation to for us curious people

Edited by ahappydude

Screenshots, please? Is grappling hook hand-held? Can kerbonauts carry it with them, fire it and use internal winch to get on top of Mun Arch Batman-style? :cool: Oh, the possibilities...

Screenshots and documentation up, I'm using the second and third post as spoiler didn't work anymore...

And no... No grappling hook hand-held, only for crafts... Sorry :)

Question:

Does making connections always involve the winch part and EVA? I ask since I am looking for a part similar to the magnet/grappler to attach to the end of a robotic arm.

;.; Oh, well...Anyways - are you planning some kind of grapple cannon? It could be useful for cleaning orbital junk. Mount it on orbital tug with lots of fuel, rendez-vous with pesky piece of junk, fire grapple to connect two crafts, then use tug engines to slow junk enough to deorbit it. Then disconnect, stabilise tug's orbit and go for another piece of trash. Sure, kerbonaut can do it in EVA, but probe controlled tug would have more fuel, better TWR, and catching orbiting junk from dozens of meters without flailing about in EVA would save lots of time. Just a though, of course - this mod is awesome as it is.

Question:

Does making connections always involve the winch part and EVA? I ask since I am looking for a part similar to the magnet/grappler to attach to the end of a robotic arm.

That depend, if you want to interconnect ships (docking), you need to eva to plug a connector.

If you just want to attach something, you can use the magnet or the grappling hook for that.

Anyway, in you case (a robotic arm) I think the best thing is to use a docking port, No ? (you can try to resize them)

;.; Oh, well...Anyways - are you planning some kind of grapple cannon? It could be useful for cleaning orbital junk. Mount it on orbital tug with lots of fuel, rendez-vous with pesky piece of junk, fire grapple to connect two crafts, then use tug engines to slow junk enough to deorbit it. Then disconnect, stabilise tug's orbit and go for another piece of trash. Sure, kerbonaut can do it in EVA, but probe controlled tug would have more fuel, better TWR, and catching orbiting junk from dozens of meters without flailing about in EVA would save lots of time. Just a though, of course - this mod is awesome as it is.

"Grapple canon" are here, just use the eject function on a winch with a grapple connected :)

Edited by KospY

Awesome. Now i can go and send a housekeeping mission to clean my orbit of junk. The EVA refueling part sounds promising as well.

Do you plan to maybe include structural connectors as well? I think it would be fitting, as the mod being about attaching stuff. And since you already have dynamic connectors via EVA, i assume it is not too different, technically speaking.

I know there is Quantum Struts and the other struts mod (the name escapes me right now) but none of them have EVA, which is think is a important. When building a space station kerbins going to eva to connect docked parts proper.

You mean i can use the plugin functions from this module to attach any part i want to? I will have to look into it, and maybe cook up something - still rather new to the whole KSP modding, just got the basics of the .cfg files figured out so far.

That depend, if you want to interconnect ships (docking), you need to eva to plug a connector.

If you just want to attach something, you can use the magnet or the grappling hook for that.

Anyway, in you case (a robotic arm) I think the best thing is to use a docking port, No ? (you can try to resize them)

Docking ports could work, yes. But this would require the pieces I want to 'grab' to have docking ports also.

What I am looking for is a cross between a stock docking port and your magnetic connector. I know it can be done since the Robotic Arms Pack already supports this. Using the KanadArm from that mod is out of the question. I've already tried it and it gave me nothing but trouble.

As an afterthought would it be possible to be able to map or edit the keyboard shortcuts for winch control? I found them very useful but unfortunately the default ones on numpad collide with my desktop program shortcuts.

i dont know if this is a feasable idea let alone crazy but mabye a winch type wich can be intergrated with the lazor systems targeting like the sunbeam lazer could be pretty neat for graplling other vehicles in fly bys :P just an idea thats all