[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

There u go, video on how to modify the cfg files so that they work with KAS's ability to grab and re-attach things.

Note this is my first video so excuse me if im a bit noob at video and youtube :-).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd8WeqW1KfvMOMof_j_2ldiBjVKzzLgFX

playlist of 2 videos

awesome. thank you so much

as if KAS wasn't useful enough already...this is gonna be stoopid brilliant!

I just downloaded v0.3 for KSP 0.20. I'm getting exploding parts when a Kerbal is carrying one of the parts on EVA and I switch crafts with [ or ]. Is this possibly a bug in the mod, or is it caused by the known issue in KSP 0.20 that explodes space stations when switching with [ or ]?

EDIT: Also, IVAs don't follow the actual cockpit when plugged in docked mode.

Exploding is related to new cupola command pod, if you have one then this may be the cause.

I just downloaded v0.3 for KSP 0.20. I'm getting exploding parts when a Kerbal is carrying one of the parts on EVA and I switch crafts with [ or ]. Is this possibly a bug in the mod, or is it caused by the known issue in KSP 0.20 that explodes space stations when switching with [ or ]?

EDIT: Also, IVAs don't follow the actual cockpit when plugged in docked mode.

That didn't happen to me, as anyone else experience this problem ? Did it happen in orbit or on the ground ? which part are you carrying ?

Nice, downloading now!!

BTW Kospy, you might be interrested in this mod for modifying stock parts without actually having to overwrite the files. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31342-0-20-ModuleManager-for-all-your-stock-modding-needs-current-version-1-01

I am using this with RemoteTech and Ioncross's crew support plugin and both have their stats added to the stock parts without actually modifying the original files, very useful!! You might want to check that

Actually, since the configuration of the files appear to be very easy to do, I might make one for the fun of it!

Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this mod.

Anyway, there is some work to do for adding and configuring each parts. Also, we need to choose what part can be grabbed or not. I personnaly think we need to restrict this feature to small and usefull one (RCS blocks, solar panels, batteries, etc...), but some people maybe want more or less, so I'm not sure of what to do.

Right now, as I prefer to focus on KAS plugins, and this work didn't need any coding skill, I think I will let people do that job and provide this as an "addon" for KAS. Feel free to do it and release it without my permission.

However, if some kind of ModuleManager get integrated into the stock game one day, and if I get time, I will maybe change my mind and integrate this with the mod. I will see how it go first :)

I loved this mod in .19, and I just installed the .20 version by dragging the KAS folder into GameData, but now KSP freezes when loading Winch2/model001, and I have to force quit KSP. I'm using a mac. Is anyone else having this problem?

Can you open and send me a copy to of the log (press alt+F2) when it freeze at loading ?

I hope there is not something buggy again on Mac version... Last time I get problem with that was because of sounds and textures paths. As I use the new gamedata for loading them, there maybe something wrong with that again.

Can you also check if the folder is in Gamedata\KAS ? (and not gamedata\kas_v03 or something else, that will break sounds and textures paths)

edit: I'll see if I can make you guys a video but gotta first check if this issue is coming from me making a mistake or something else.

I agree with you, a video will be nice to see the problem :)

EDIT! Never mind, didn't see the alt key specific. That will take getting use to. Anyway, Radial connector port (dis mountable) still not dismounting.

Nothing show up on the context menu of the radial connector port ? (normally you will see "grab")

There u go, video on how to modify the cfg files so that they work with KAS's ability to grab and re-attach things.

Note this is my first video so excuse me if im a bit noob at video and youtube :-).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd8WeqW1KfvMOMof_j_2ldiBjVKzzLgFX

playlist of 2 videos

Nice tutorial ! I really appreciate your help for explaining the part modules.

Thanks !

It makes me think that it will nice to do a video showing all KAS features. I think that will be more relevant than pictures.

Anyway, I can't work on every aspect of the mod (tutorials, models, texturings, testing, etc...) And plugin take a large amount of my time so if someone is interested to make a video, please contact me. I am also not against someone else in the team with a good English to help me on things like tutorials, descriptions, etc... ;)

This is great. I've given KSP a break for a few days until the mods I want are updated. I tried this out though and it is amazing, but my brain can't think of anything useful to build yet so will wait until HL's airship mod is fully fixed

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to attach the connector to the Dismountable Radial Connector Port, the only option that the game gives me is to grab the dRCP.

I took a screen shot to show you the context menu that the game gives me when I attempt to make the connection. http://imgur.com/Z3Aei96

Aside from any bugs (or my mistakes), I love this mod, thanks for developing it and keep up the good work.

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to attach the connector to the Dismountable Radial Connector Port, the only option that the game gives me is to grab the dRCP.

I took a screen shot to show you the context menu that the game gives me when I attempt to make the connection. http://imgur.com/Z3Aei96

Aside from any bugs (or my mistakes), I love this mod, thanks for developing it and keep up the good work.

On your picture, cable texture is missing so there is something wrong with the installation or with the plugin.

Are you on Mac or Linux ? Can you tell me the path of the texture folder ? (normally Gamedata\KAS\Textures)

Edited by KospY

Finally I can continue my save, that was the most important thing missing. :)

Meanwhile, something fairly mysterious happened.

I've had an airship floating around on Duna when the update hit. As I loaded it, I ejected the grappling hook down. GUI reported the full length of cable extended, but the cable actually ended some 10m below the airship. The hook was nevertheless reported as connected.

I disconnected the hook, reeled it back in, moved the airship away a bit, which got it to rise above 50m, and ejected the cable again. This time I missed the ground as it was too far below. As I moved across the ground with the hook trailing behind the airship at about 1.4m/s, the hook suddenly exploded.

So....trying to make myself a little repair parts set, solar panels, rcs block, and a ladder...just the stuff I break most. So far I got 3 parts with the KAS mods in the .cfg file. The stock RCS block and solar panel (the shielded type A one) are working great! Can grab em and replace em perfectly! Not so much with the ladder, the stock telescopic one with the bay. The code is in it the same as the other 2 part, and I get 'grab' option when I r-click the ladder, but I cant ever get to grab it.

Wondering if anyone else has played with this feature, maybe come across this with certain parts.....or am I just overlooking something

I have been putting all mods in the root folder of KSP (like .19 and earlier versions). I'm on a pc, and so far this has worked fine, but I'll try putting the files into the gamedata folder.

I loved this mod in .19, and I just installed the .20 version by dragging the KAS folder into GameData, but now KSP freezes when loading Winch2/model001, and I have to force quit KSP. I'm using a mac. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also having this problem, I made sure the folder names were all correct but it locks up on winch2/model001 everytime! Can't wait for a fix, one of my favorite mods!

That didn't happen to me, as anyone else experience this problem ? Did it happen in orbit or on the ground ? which part are you carrying ?

I know these things require details, and I left them all out! Oops!

Someone said it might be the cupola (I thought so too), so I eliminated all variables and started a fresh save with a cupola-free craft. Here's the craft file if you want to see it in-game, and here are the reproduction steps:

- Start with the rover on the runway

- Go just off the runway a few meters so the rover won't be cleared

- ESC -> Space Center

- Start another mission with the rover

- Drive this one back off the runway about 800m from the other rover

- ESC -> Space Center -> Tracking Station, select the last rover in the list

- Go EVA, hop off and grab any of the parts from the hook bays (any of them will explode)

- Switch ships with [ and ]

- The part on the Kerbal will explode!

- Also, if you drop the part, it will explode

I haven't tried anything in orbit yet since I was afraid it would explode. This seems related to the known bug in 0.20. I believe it occurs when you switch ships with [ or ] (doesn't happen via map), and the root cause is when the parts are initialized and "put into orbit".

Just my thoughts, it seems like the parts are erroneously accumulating forces from gravity until they are activated.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and thanks for the *really* awesome mod. I made a space tractor, and it was hilariously awesome.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this mod.

Anyway, there is some work to do for adding and configuring each parts. Also, we need to choose what part can be grabbed or not. I personnaly think we need to restrict this feature to small and usefull one (RCS blocks, solar panels, batteries, etc...), but some people maybe want more or less, so I'm not sure of what to do.

Yeah I agree on that, I too would prefer only smaller things, I don't see a kerbal holding a 1 man command pod on its back lol !! I might want to work on a file on my free time. Its quite a bit time consuming tho but at least you gave us the tools to make things much easier!!! Thanks alot for that!

I agree with you, a video will be nice to see the problem :)

Oh damn, I forgot to make that one. Here it is!! http://youtu.be/IaeJEDktYa4

I have been putting all mods in the root folder of KSP (like .19 and earlier versions). I'm on a pc, and so far this has worked fine, but I'll try putting the files into the gamedata folder.

You must put the KAS folder in the gamedata folder. This is really important.

Putting files in the root folder are not recommended for 0.20 mods. It's only here for compatibility with old mods. (and I hope that will be removed soon as it confuse a lot of people)

The current version of KAS lookup the sounds and textures from the new game database from "GameData\KAS"

I made some tests by renaming the "KAS" folder and it broke part module (connector plugging for exemple) as it try to fire sounds that are not loaded.

I'm working to fix the problem by disabling the sounds if the plugins didn't find the files. It's not really a solution but at least KAS parts will work when the installation is not done correctly.

Meanwhile, if you don't see the cable textures or if you didn't hear any sounds, there is good chance that something is wrong in the installation.

Also having this problem, I made sure the folder names were all correct but it locks up on winch2/model001 everytime! Can't wait for a fix, one of my favorite mods!

I don't see what is wrong on the mac version of KSP. I don't have a Mac so I can't test. Can someone press Alt+F2 at loading and copy/paste me what it get when the game freeze ? It's also possible to send me the output_log.txt in KSP_Data. That will help me to understand the problem.

Actually, that might be related to this acknowledged bug...

Also think that is a KSP bug. Best thing will be to wait a fix from Squad.

So....trying to make myself a little repair parts set, solar panels, rcs block, and a ladder...just the stuff I break most. So far I got 3 parts with the KAS mods in the .cfg file. The stock RCS block and solar panel (the shielded type A one) are working great! Can grab em and replace em perfectly! Not so much with the ladder, the stock telescopic one with the bay. The code is in it the same as the other 2 part, and I get 'grab' option when I r-click the ladder, but I cant ever get to grab it.

Wondering if anyone else has played with this feature, maybe come across this with certain parts.....or am I just overlooking something

Didn't try the module on all parts. Maybe something different on this one. I will try to take a look. Meanwhile, you can continue with other parts and tell me the one that didn't work.

Oh damn, I forgot to make that one. Here it is!! http://youtu.be/IaeJEDktYa4

Ok I think I understand what you mean. I fact, I didn't find a way to correctly align angle related to the up direction of the destination part.

I'm not at ease with rotation thing in Unity and I don't really know how to do it properly. If someone know, I'm interested :)

However, I don't think that is really important as you can now use the B and N keys to rotate the part. It's a extra step but at least that will do the job for now :)

Edited by KospY

I fixed the sounds problem. Now if a sound or texture file get not loaded KAS will just ignore it instead of crashing.

However, some users can now miss the fact that KAS has sounds and a texture for the cable/tether (and not a ugly gray line)

So, I just added some warnings if the sounds or textures didn't get loaded in game :

cTZuFbyl.jpg

I know that there is too much lines (one by file not found), but at least people will know if something is wrong in the installation :)

Now waiting to get the log information about loading problem on Mac and I will be able to release a first fix.

Will you also be looking into the context menu not showing the "Detach and release" option for the plug thing? I have a ship docked at station waiting for this upgrade to be installed before it begins it's long term missions.