Tips needed, lateral decoupler wobblyness and spin.

I have been playing around with the free version from the webpage a bit and I'm having tons of fun. Managed to get my first rocket into space and also managed to build some ridiculous ones that in true Kerbal fashion left no survivors. Now I am trying to build a multistage rocket to try and reach as far as I could into oooouuuteeeer spaaaace. I ran into a small problem though when the weight of the fuel needed meant my rocket could not get off the ground. The solution to this was of course, more rockets! In particular I figured I could use some lateral decouplers on the bottom and stick a couple help rockets to get the thing off the ground.

The problem with this is that the lateral decoupler seems to have a quite weak grip, as in the rockets start to wobble and bad things ensue.

Is there a way to use the lateral decouplers responsibly?

Struts!

The little piece of metal is a champion, just strap them boosters together, use em like duct tape. And they play nice with decouplers and will turn loose when the decouplers do and go with.

And if stopping the wobble doesn't stop the spin, you can add more SAS modules (and some fins if you can find a place to tack them on.

Also, are you placing your rockets using the symmetry tool? The little round circle in the upper right? If you click it, it slices up into pie slices, and will place the same number of pieces around the object, works for almost everything :D

If you try to eyeball them and do it manually, things are usually more wobbly.

• 4 weeks later...

Struts!

The little piece of metal is a champion, just strap them boosters together, use em like duct tape. And they play nice with decouplers and will turn loose when the decouplers do and go with.

And if stopping the wobble doesn\'t stop the spin, you can add more SAS modules (and some fins if you can find a place to tack them on.

Also, are you placing your rockets using the symmetry tool? The little round circle in the upper right? If you click it, it slices up into pie slices, and will place the same number of pieces around the object, works for almost everything :D

If you try to eyeball them and do it manually, things are usually more wobbly.

Thanks! I was weary about using struts with decuplers; afraid they wouldn\'t let go. Hopefully will get my 19 rocket booster pack off the ground. Muah ha ha ha.

You also might want to take a look at http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/kerbal-space-program-mods and download some of the mod packs. they contain a lot of nice and powerful addons that make orbiting easier than the stock parts alone do. Be advised, though, the more you use, the longer the game needs to initially load up.

dont you mean left?