Interstellar and interplanetary ship exchange

Signature-Banner-Munbug_zpsc439a39c.jpg

This is my latest creation, two successful return trips to Duna so far! This has been a real challenge to put together over the last month and uses all the tricks I have learnt from making the Munbug and Muna-LK series of ships. I'll get some threads up for my other ships soon (the server wipe killed them).

Full details and craft files here - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/26206-0-19-Dunebug-II-Duna-Return-separate-CM-Lander-Open-Top-Buggy-New-Design!

screenshot0_zps7e116e2f.jpg

very creative design there, I particularly like the engine array and the cockpits/pods positioning. Which one is the parent part?

and to idan, has your ship sailed yet? still planning to head for eeloo? I haven`t tried there yet. I think next I have to head for Vall. An older ship design ended up stranded out there and managed to limp into an elliptical orbit of vall on RCS. Been there for 3 years now and badly in need of rescue :)

• 4 weeks later...
As planned I launched a second of my design, Higeta`s sister ship `Aydin`, tasked with transportation and establishment of a station to Duna orbit, it was every bit the orgy of orbital ballet and docking that I had imagined.

Hn9Zv37.jpg

iIsv0yj.jpg

parked in LKO with all modules stowed, 9 in all to reassemble upon arrival at Duna :) Maybe I`m crazy to enjoy it this way hah!

are you willing to share the .craft for this. i would love to give it a go

Well, before starting the exams I had just docked the fourth of five fuel tanks and only the heatshield and moving the engine pods remained to do. Then 0.20 came along, and the nice big docking ports. And I would have to repeat the 9+ launchs and dockings it took to get so far to re-engineer them in. Might as well post one or two of the WIP screens:

vi6zmIS.jpg

As you may make out, a single tank is there. Attached to the "core" radially, there are two winged SSTO's to serve as multipurpose landers (they can do tailsitting) and two light capsules (Auroras, they work as the return vehicles and low-gravity landers). Also a ring of probes to hurl at the places we can't land at. On the rear you can see a Tylo-class lander, holding two of the engine nacelles during assembly. It was intended to be a tractor design with the engines directly behind the heatshield. With all the fuel tanks full, who knows what the delta-V would have been.

MsdDXhT.jpg

Rune. I guess the Mk.III will be better. ^^'

Edited by Rune

Just got this into LKO, ready to shuttle stuff around to Jool & friends. Has ~10k delta-V on its own, uses KW-Rocketry, MechJeb, and two Kommit Nucleonics 240KN Nuclear motors. Has both types of ports for pulling/pushing just about anything, as well as ports on top of the radial tanks to increase the fuel supply should I need to.

screenshot4tt.png

Launches fairly simply too:

screenshot5nju.png

Edited by Immashift

When I load the craft in game, I get two missing part errors: NP.coupler.125m.DualCoupler and NP.chute.1.25m.stackparachute. Any ideas as to why this is?

Those missing part errors usually mean you're missing parts....

Those parts are specific to the Nova Punch Remix mod.

It's not particularly pretty or fancy, but this ship got me to every place in the Kerbol system (including, which some small modification to the lander stage, Tylo). Unfortunately it can only return after landing from Mun, Minmus, and Gilly, though if you add some creative docking ports to the middle stage you could probably do an Apollo-style lander docking and increase that to a few more planets and moons.

apollo.png

Edited by avi

It's not particularly pretty or fancy, but this ship got me to every place in the Kerbol system (including, which some small modification to the lander stage, Tylo). Unfortunately it can only return after landing from Mun, Minmus, and Gilly, though if you add some creative docking ports to the middle stage you could probably do an Apollo-style lander docking and increase that to a few more planets and moons.

KGdw7fc8bqQ5QhZ8is6MItbh4P-4S8_iKWJu_W4mr6Xq3XlM1i46-3u9tuHPx_--8eT_rVlvSSs

Dude you incorrectly put images here. None can see them. I can't do anything with the link you gave me.

I built this one from scratch in (stock) 0.20, entirely deleting my previous embarassingly oversized interplanetary rocket, which effectively mostly carried its own fuel, and was powerful enough for a sun escape. This one is much more minimalistic, and already brought probes to Duna and Eve, in both cases with sufficient fuel to enter any desired orbit. I added sepatrons for the outer asparagus stages to detach safely, and deorbit the nuclear interstellar cruise stage after the final desired orbit has been reached. Only the center part of the first stage will remain as debris, as it is left behind in interplanetary space:

1024x640.resizedimage

A probe at Duna, in a polar orbit (I plan to set up a base at Duna's north pole, and wanted to use this as a satellite that flies by right above the base):

1024x640.resizedimage

Another one at Eve, in a more traditional prograde equatorial orbit:

1024x640.resizedimage

The craft file can be downloaded here. Please note that for maximum efficiency, perform a smooth gravity turn starting at about ~10-12km (I have not tested how far it gets with a more inefficient launch), and (optionally) use a Mun slingshot into the desired solar orbit.

Edited by Mephane

I finally got back to my machine. It's not a problem of docking ports anymore, it's a problem of a buggy ship upon actualization to 0.20. Sigh! Mark III, here we go. And I was so close!

hdueQzV.png

7ajW9a1.jpg

And shortly after this I managed to accomplish the final dock... (it wasn't easy, but I got it perfectly aligned and pulling from the ports at less than 0.1m/s)

WPubKyH.jpg

Which of course went horribly wrong, and was when the bug showed itself:

3d4KfMS.png

It continued like this for a while, picking up speed. I would have tried switching to other ship or quicksaving/quickloading, but I also had the bug where you can't do either.

Rune. My luck, I guess.

Edited by Rune

Hey iDan122! This is the Ministry's proof of concept (No launch vehicle, just Hyperedit) The Interplanetary Ship! So far I've been to Duna, Dres, Laythe and Vall, laythe and Vall being the same Mission!

Pics:

oxf84pR.png

Executing interplanetary burn!

2Nq8CXy.png

Mun Flyby

sveb6xX.png

Unfortunately I forget to adjust my inclination so it required all my fuel plus some of the landers!

hpQVbaB.png

In orbit around Laythe...

KB3dRHD.png

Landing the first lander..

mLAiKxu.png

And the second...

VkCRCXm.png

SLOE DAWN!

8LT1UTY.png

The target island!

AU1qDfs.png

Thank god..

kngBJM4.png

Our brave pilot :)

p3cICDv.png

Jool rise over the landing site

ONLY 160 PARTS WITH LANDERS!

• 3 months later...
As planned I launched a second of my design, Higeta`s sister ship `Aydin`, tasked with transportation and establishment of a station to Duna orbit, it was every bit the orgy of orbital ballet and docking that I had imagined.

Hn9Zv37.jpg

iIsv0yj.jpg

parked in LKO with all modules stowed, 9 in all to reassemble upon arrival at Duna :) Maybe I`m crazy to enjoy it this way hah!

What mod did you use for the big circle below the fuselage?

Hello to all. This is my first post in the forum, and I wanted to start by showing my first interplanetary ship.

My goals in the desing are basic: stock, strong and reusable. My first destination was Duna, but after the flight I must admit that the desing is not capable of much more. After the round trip, the tanks were almost empty, even with aerobraking. I'm not a good pilot (yet), so maybe Eve is into the capacities of the craft, but I'm not trying by now. Also the part count is high (~400), and my PC lags a little. The 2.0 will be better :) The associated lander is a bad desing, so forget about it.

So I present you my first interplanetary ship, Antares:

I've decided that one PPD-10 Hitchhiker is the needed vital space for one kerbal for this journey, so the crew capacity is three. One MK1-2 command pod for piloting, and the rest is basically fuel, and some bateries and monopropellant. It has some RTGs, but the main power comes from the solar panels. It also has lights for night side EVAs. Only two (difficult) launchs needed for the main vehicle, another for the lander, one for the crew, and many for resuply (I did one and hyperedited the rest :huh:). Three nervas make the main power, so long burns are needed, but they work perfectly.

Now, the photos:

Kerbin escape burn (best photo):

screenshot77.png

With the resupply ship docked, still unmanned:

screenshot61.png

Detail of the docking desing (I havent seen this desing anywhere):

screenshot46.png

The rest of the images as links, for easy loading:

First test flight, unmanned, to Mun orbit, and without the lander.

Another view of the first test.

Crew transfer vehicle aproaching.

Halfway to Duna, correction burn.

Another view.

Hope you like it :blush:

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.