Cargo Bay Rovers

Red Inc. is now accepting applications to for designs of new rovers able to enter and deploy from B9 Aerospace ML, TT Mk3 or Mk4 series of cargo bays. Primarily we are looking for ground based probe control vehicles for the Remotetech Protocol, but versatile vehicle designs will scored.

Requirements:

- Deployable via long haul cargo aircraft (no ICBM delivery system please)

- Kerbal driven

- Any reasonable mods are okay (kas winches, robotics, DEMV, modular wheels, ect)

- Plane not required

Criteria:

- Weight (+5 points if under 10 mass, +10 if under 5)

- Able to deploy an Interplanetary class orange deployable dish for remotetech probes (+20 if you are able to deploy the monster dish) and some provision to control the dish by a crew of three [3] kerbal drone pilots using the (+15)

- Crew comfort for long operations in the field (+5 for each additional kerbal seat. +5 for complete lighting, power and egress systems)

- Aesthetics and elegance - if your design is impressive, innovative, and well built and good looking by popular opinion, add +10

- Able to drive up and down the loading ramps and dock securely on its own power, safely (+10)

- Compact - each size smaller loading bay from the MK4 gets +5

---

I have spent hours trying to get a vehicle in a plane and deploy it on the other side of Kerbin with a crew of 3 and the massive remotetech orange dish to build out my network, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. Closest I got to working was an DEMV MK4 ANT with the dish on top in a HL cargo bay. You don't have to include the kerballers or the dish, as I think those cargo bay ramps could use some lovin and I want to see what you guys come up with. Looking forwards to seeing some neat vehicles!

Well this thing doesn't exactly qualify for most of the requirements (I have been working on it already when I saw the challenge), apart from the docking and undocking at any destination where you can fly and land the plane safely, there are a few tons of mods used, and lots of personal tweaks, but nothing extreme. (I tend to find mods overpowered so tweaks are usually negative)

So it's mainly an example that it can be done, eventually.. :D

http://imgur.com/a/MzK0Q

Is there a reason not to use a DEMV MK1? If you're prepared to scratch the paintwork it can reverse into and drive out of a MK4 cargo-bay, with the back section removed it can easily carry/deploy a huge dish with two hinges to raise/lower it through 90*. The crew can sleep in the cab, just tell them they're going camping. I added solar power and a ton of metalwork for the aesthetics/elegance. You could add a docking port to the rear but isn't it easier to tie cargo down with winches?

screenshot138p.png

Edited by Darren9

That is a sweet machine you got there Kolt, I love how you made lowboy trailers behind a sort of pick up truck style chassis. Almost glad for the land kraken pictures because it shows how they are put together.

Darren, that is an awesome use of a DEMV, looks like a TV station dish truck. good positioning on that hinge.

This thing is such a pig, but I am realy suprised it works better than any smaller vehicle http://imgur.com/a/d0Pdv

With such great inspiration, and working robotics I am sure my next vehicles will be better than ever.

Edited by Read have Read

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.