[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

The work around is to add "-adapter 1" in the launch options, where "1" is the screen number. Maybe MacTee could add this option to KMA ?

Expanded launch options is in the enhancement list. I am working on some underlying changes that should happen first.

Great work on this! I can really appreciate all the work that you put into making this, especially since I once tried to make something similar in C#. I even used TreeListView like you did :). I wish I had just known about your Mod Admin before, it's so much better.

Anyway, I have a few points of feedback that might help you develop the tool further:

• I can't get the version control to work. Doesn't matter if I add a mod through URL or local path, it usually throws a WebClient-request exception, or sometimes a NullReferenceException (object reference not set to an instance).
  • The buttons above the mods TreeListView are too small to quickly see what they do. I'm often relying on tooltips to find where that one button was again. Wouldn't hurt to make them slightly bigger IMO.
  • Perhaps you could add a launch option to start the game through Steam. Just using "steam://rungameid/220200" should work.

Ok, here comes the nit-picky stuff (ignore if you have better things to do):

• In the Add Mod Dialog, you should probably use a Close button instead of Cancel.
  • In Options > Update > Node coloring on/off, just leave the "on/off" out. It's a checkbox so it makes sense that it's on/off. Same with Options > Misc > Conflict detection.
  • The "KSP folder search" function isn't very clearly described. I guess it looks for a KSP path relative to MA's working directory? Also, The textbox that let's you enter a number makes little sense until you read the tooltip on the button next to it. I would suggest creating a seperate dialog for this.
  • In Options > Paths, make the spacing equal between the four buttons.

I may try to break your program a little more if I feel like it. I hope this motivates you enough to keep working on this great tool! Keep it up!

The version 2.0.0.16 works great, thanks MacTee!

Is it an error like "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution" ?

If yes, this problem exists since KSP 1.0, especially with a multiple monitors environment. The work around is to add "-adapter 1" in the launch options, where "1" is the screen number. Maybe MacTee could add this option to KMA ?

Yup! Thanks a lot!

(also Yup: Mult-monitor environment :D)

Hi spioner,

thanks for your feedback!

Anyway, I have a few points of feedback that might help you develop the tool further:

-I can't get the version control to work. Doesn't matter if I add a mod through URL or local path, it usually throws a WebClient-request exception, or sometimes a NullReferenceException (object reference not set to an instance).

Sry its not obvious to me what happens here. Can you discribe step by setp what you are doing. And pls send me the KSPMA.log. of your "test".

-The buttons above the mods TreeListView are too small to quickly see what they do. I'm often relying on tooltips to find where that one button was again. Wouldn't hurt to make them slightly bigger IMO.

The next version will have 24x24 icons in the ToolStrip.

-Perhaps you could add a launch option to start the game through Steam. Just using "steam://rungameid/220200" should work.

I think i'll cut down the launch panel with one of the next versions or it will replaced by the advanced startup settings from 4o66.

Ok, here comes the nit-picky stuff (ignore if you have better things to do):

-In the Add Mod Dialog, you should probably use a Close button instead of Cancel.

-In Options > Update > Node coloring on/off, just leave the "on/off" out. It's a checkbox so it makes sense that it's on/off. Same with Options > Misc > Conflict detection.

I guess close is more precise;)

The on /off don't hurst right now (till the options get overcrowded ;))

-The "KSP folder search" function isn't very clearly described. I guess it looks for a KSP path relative to MA's working directory? Also, The textbox that let's you enter a number makes little sense until you read the tooltip on the button next to it. I would suggest creating a seperate dialog for this.

-In Options > Paths, make the spacing equal between the four buttons.

Your geuss, about the "KSP folder search" button, is right. Maybe you could rewrite that part for me ;)

Good suggestion to create a separate dialog -> on the to do list.

Hi MacTee, dont know if i missed it, but if not, i have a feauture request. Is it possible to open the Mod URL in Browser in any kind of rightklicking or a Link in te ModInfo Window? I think it makes easyer to chek if you intrested in updating when KMA² report an update.

Hi DianonForce,

you can use the "Visit Version control URL" option of the context menu (that opens when you right click a mod in the ModSelection).

ModSelection_ContextMenu_Vist_URL.png

Or the Toolstrip button "Visit Version control URL" above the ModInfos.

ModInfo_ToolStrip_Vist_URL.png

Thanks. I missd it, because of the german translation. "Visit Version control URL" isnt exact what i would understand under "Versionskontrollseite besuchen" . Looks like google translater made the translation. The words are correct, but the meaning is slithly diffrent. I would change it in "Versionskontrollwebseite besuchen" or even better in "Link zur Modseite"

Hi DianonForce,

yes i know the the german translation is a little "sperrig" on some points.

I was surprised of some translations i have made a while ago ;)

If you want to help, you could revise it for me.

I already tried, but it's so tedious, because you must scroll the whole list by hand, a search field would make it much easier. I also tried to open the language file in a editor, but searching is even worst, because there are so many tags who have the same name like the values.

A new update called "Bigger is better and backup is saver" is out ...

What's new:

- Bigger icons for ToolStrip menus

- Backup tab added.

- Help button added (ModSelection)

- 64bit removed for windows.

@DianonForce:

Is this a request for a search function on the translator tab? =)

@DianonForce:

Is this a request for a search function on the translator tab? =)

If you understand it this way ... :D

EDIT: Oh one more problem i run in. If the folder structure in a mod file are to large i.e. KW Rocketry, it become nearly imposible to chose thr right file for the solve conflict dialouge. Because the filenames, versions and the part of the folder structure you see, are exactly the same. Also KMA² has a problem too, if you chose the secound file and click the 'Solve all conflicts with this mod' KMA² checks the first file for al the other conflicting files.

EDIT 2:

I installed the new Version at the moment. I must smile as i see the new translation. Thank you very much. :)

Edited by DianonForce

EDIT: Oh one more problem i run in. If the folder structure in a mod file are to large i.e. KW Rocketry, it become nearly imposible to chose thr right file for the solve conflict dialouge. Because the filenames, versions and the part of the folder structure you see, are exactly the same. Also KMA² has a problem too, if you chose the secound file and click the 'Solve all conflicts with this mod' KMA² checks the first file for al the other conflicting files.

When conflicts occure within one mod the TreePath column should lead you to the wanted part(s). To see the full path expande the column! (I know this string cutting of the TreeView is wierd. I'll improve that ...)

The "Solve all conflicts with this mod" can't work properly, for obviouse reasons ;)

I think i should disable that function for "inner mod conflicts". Any suggestions how to quick solve such conflicts?

When conflicts occure within one mod the TreePath column should lead you to the wanted part(s). To see the full path expande the column! (I know this string cutting of the TreeView is wierd. I'll improve that ...)

The "Solve all conflicts with this mod" can't work properly, for obviouse reasons ;)

I think i should disable that function for "inner mod conflicts". Any suggestions how to quick solve such conflicts?

I fixed my problem by searching the files in treeview but this is very tidious and not what i mean. If you right click on a yellow entry in the treeview you can klick 'solve conflicts' and you get a new window. In this window you get the file that causing the conflict, the path where it come from and the path who it is suposed to be. The path where the file comes from is to short in my belive. I.e. for KWRocketry it is somthing like 'KW_Rocketry-2.7\KW Release Package v2.7 (Open this, don't extract it)' but the deciding part of the path wich follow behind this, 'GameData\KWRocketry' or 'Extras\OldFARFairings\GameData\KWRocketry' are missing, so you don't know wich file it is you want to keep.

OK, now i understand why 'Solve all conflicts ...' can't work. I was thinking it looks for the path, but now this make no sense.

Going to bed brings the best ideas.

How will it be, if you check that the files are checkt in treeview, before reporting a conflict. If they are not checked there is no conflict.

EDIT: Oh, and on more thing. If you have a mod that creates a configuration file in his folder and you deinstall it, the folde wich contain the configuration file is still green. If you now try to set a new destination path, KMA² keep saying, that the mod is allready installed. You must manualy delete the configuration file to get KMA² to work. It is possible to have a button like 'ignore that!' to get KMA² to ignore this and make what you want?

Edited by DianonForce

I have KSPModAdmin.1.4.0PR17 with a bunch of mods installed with it. How to easilly apply its mod list with all the selections to 2.1?

also can 2.1 show actual version of mods instead of a checkmark, if new version available?

I fixed my problem by searching the files in treeview but this is very tidious and not what i mean. If you right click on a yellow entry in the treeview you can klick 'solve conflicts' and you get a new window. In this window you get the file that causing the conflict, the path where it come from and the path who it is suposed to be. The path where the file comes from is to short in my belive. I.e. for KWRocketry it is somthing like 'KW_Rocketry-2.7\KW Release Package v2.7 (Open this, don't extract it)' but the deciding part of the path wich follow behind this, 'GameData\KWRocketry' or 'Extras\OldFARFairings\GameData\KWRocketry' are missing, so you don't know wich file it is you want to keep.

OK, now i understand why 'Solve all conflicts ...' can't work. I was thinking it looks for the path, but now this make no sense.

Going to bed brings the best ideas.

How will it be, if you check that the files are checkt in treeview, before reporting a conflict. If they are not checked there is no conflict.

EDIT: Oh, and on more thing. If you have a mod that creates a configuration file in his folder and you deinstall it, the folde wich contain the configuration file is still green. If you now try to set a new destination path, KMA² keep saying, that the mod is allready installed. You must manualy delete the configuration file to get KMA² to work. It is possible to have a button like 'ignore that!' to get KMA² to ignore this and make what you want?

I know that manual conflict solving via the ModSelection isn't fun, but sometimes the only way.

Anyway, i was talking about the TreePath column from the Conflict Solver dialog.

I know the path seems incomplete but when you expand (resize) the column the full path will appear.

As mentioned above i'll fix it later ;)

The problem is when Mod A installs File A (Checked) and Mod B unistalls the File A cause its unchecked. (otherway around won't be an obvious problem but would still be a conflict!)

As long as two mods have a file with the same destination there will be a conflict.

Till now i have ignored folders which constain new (untracked) files, cause you mgiht reinstall the mod. Maybe its time for a force delete option. Let me think about it.

I have KSPModAdmin.1.4.0PR17 with a bunch of mods installed with it. How to easilly apply its mod list with all the selections to 2.1?

also can 2.1 show actual version of mods instead of a checkmark, if new version available?

Unfortunatly i have changed some entries of the configuration files, which may lead to a incompatibality of the two KSPMA versions.

But you have several options:

First of all create a copy of you KSP install folder.

1. Open the new copy rename the KSPModAdmin.cfg file to KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg.
    With some luck the Loading algorythem is sturdy enough to make this work.
  2. Open KMA² set it KSP path to your copy and press the Scan GameData folder button.
    You will have to create new zip archives for each mod and all mod informations (Like Mod URL, ...) will be lost.
  3. Maybe the best option (for a clean KSP installation): Export a ModPack from the 1.4 and import it to the new version.
    I have no idea if the export of the 1.4 still works, but i haven't changed anything on the ModPack format so import should work.

I'm not sure what the use of the version number would be? It would be some work so without a good reason i would prefere other features ;)

Edited by MacTee

MacTee, i like to see numbers.. I've no idea how version checking works.. so maybe if a moder updates the thread checkmark will show, that the mod has updates, but with version it would show that the version is the same. Generally you can guess if it's a major release or bug fixing release by the version number, or if you were waiting for a certain release.

~ Also add a number of entries indicator. Kind of like windows explorer shows total number of folders/files in a bar below.

I tried option A:

Open the new copy rename the KSPModAdmin.cfg file to KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg.

All the mod entries are red and all of the entries names show the same ksp folder link, instead of archive names. But the contents of the entries seem to be correct. In the information about mod window it shows link to mod archive in the Name and link to mod archive in the Archive Path. I think these somehow have to be swapped, otherwise it doesn't work.

- Where did the context menu button "open mod install forlder" go? :(

- delete button doesn't work to remove entries anymore.

i think i'll stick with 1.4 for now :P

Edited by gendalf

MacTee, i like to see numbers.. I've no idea how version checking works.. so maybe if a moder updates the thread checkmark will show, that the mod has updates, but with version it would show that the version is the same.

This could only happen for KSP Forum mods, all other supported sites will use the date of the last release or version number.

Generally you can guess if it's a major release or bug fixing release by the version number, or if you were waiting for a certain release.

Guessing an assumptions are evil =), even a change of the last digit might be a major change/fix/"what ever". ;)

I think, with the info outdated or not, you are faster in your decision, if you want to know whats behind the change or not.

You don't have to compare two version numbers ...

Waiting for a specific version? How do you know that the modder don't skip this version number you where looking for? =)

Sry but, till now i don't see a reason, try harder ;)

~ Also add a number of entries indicator. Kind of like windows explorer shows total number of folders/files in a bar below.

Will come at some point, but it has very low priority.

I tried option A:

All the mod entries are red and all of the entries names show the same ksp folder link, instead of archive names. But the contents of the entries seem to be correct. In the information about mod window it shows link to mod archive in the Name and link to mod archive in the Archive Path. I think these somehow have to be swapped, otherwise it doesn't work.

Hmm, i have to look at it to give precise hints, but maybe you can swap the ArchivePath and Name fields just by search and replace with your favorit editor?

- Where did the ModSelection context menu button "open mod install forlder" go? :(

- delete button doesn't work to remove entries anymore.

- There is a open folder option for installed folders in the context menu. This option might not be available on the root node of a mod, if only sub folders of this mod are installed.

- I think you talking about the del - key right?

Will come later is on my todo list with low priority.

i think i'll stick with 1.4 for now :P

=P

EDIT:

Import 1.4 KSPMA cfg to KMA²:

It seems, that a simple swapping of the Name and Key XmlAttributes in the old cfg file (from the KSP install folder), is enough.

Step by Step:

1. Copy the old KSP MA cfg file and rename it to KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg
  2. Open the copy in your favorit text editor
  3. Remove the General nodes:
    <General>
    ...{some other settings}
    </General>

4. Use the Search & Replace function (ctrl + h) to rename Name=" to Name1="
  5. Use the Search & Replace function (ctrl + h) to rename Key=" to Name="
  6. Use the Search & Replace function (ctrl + h) to rename Name1=" to Key="
  7. Save and KMA² should be able to read the old cfg file.

Edited by MacTee

Hello MacTee ! I still have some issues with the "KSP Forum" version check.

- When getting the ModInfos from the mod URL, the Version Control is reset to "None", and the ProductID is filled with stuff like this (example from G-Force mod) :

119518"; var PATHS = {

forum : "",

cms : "",

blog : ""

};

var AJAXBASEURL = "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/";

//

- I understand you use the Mod Name to check if a "KSP Forum" mod is outaded ? I agree it's the easiest way, but I like to change mod names to have a clean and categorized mod list. So my mods using "KSP Forum" version control are always outdated :/ Maybe you could add a way to organize mods with categories ?

Thanks for the report, Shinsaka!

Honestly i haven't planned to release the KSPForum support with the first versions of KMA². Somehow I have missed to remove it from the list of availabe SiteHandlers. =/

Anyway, i'll look into it. But don't expect more then version control. Auto update / download won't work, cause of the problem to find the right download link in a forum post.

The update check will check against the change date of the first post.

What's new:

• Manage your flags with the new Flags tab.
  • KMA² flag added!
  • TreeView improved - Not fitting string will now end with ...
  • Key binding added. Delete & Backspace key will now trigger remove of mods, backups and flags.
  • Tab indices for all dialogs fixed.
  • "Update and Import still dont works if mod has multible files with same filename" bug fixed.
  • "Export ModPack does not work" bug fixed.
  • "GitHub SiteHandler" bug fixed.
  • "KSPForum SiteHandler" bug fixed.
  • "Creation of ZIP archives failing" bug fixed.
  • "ToolTip on/off dont works for ToolStrip" bug fixed.
  • "TreeView (node color) update after update check" bug fixed.
  • Localization fixes.

Download link see first post.

EDIT:

2.2.0.1 is out:

• Fix for "Stack overflow during update".

Edited by MacTee

The "check for update" or update status still seems a bit wierd.

https://github.com/MachXXV/EditorExtensions/releases/tag/v2.8 <- Downloaded that about an hour ago. Says 2.8

KSPMA lists 2.8.0.0 (and KSP 1.0.2) and says it's outdated?

I understand KSP-AVC being displayed as outdated. While there is no new version, the newest version is for 0.25, so I get that part.

Similar to Kerbal Joint Reinforcement's 3.1.3, which is for 1.0.0.

But the EditorExtensions should display as up-to-date.

Edit:

It would also be appreciated if KSPMA would take a look at the archive name ("Near_Future_Construction-0.5.2.zip" for example) before it decides how to name the mod. That mod is one of many that automatically get named "Community Resource Pack", just because it's the first mod in the zip's GameData.

Edited by cy-one

Hi MacTee,

few things about version 2.2.0.1.

1) Happy to find the "Flags" tab is back and kicking (when it was the last version it was in? 1.3.something?). Quite a nice surprise, as I couldn't find it mentioned lately.

2) However, few minor issues show about flags display. Pic below:

VZCK4RX.png

2-A) It may be noted some flags display twice. Checked, the specific file ("flag".png) only exists once. Believe it may have something to do with the folder structure, but nothing evident (can see flags display only from subfolders named "Flags").

2-B) In a few cases, flags are made from .dds files, taking advantage from the new ability of KSP 1.0.x to use that format (yes, they work in game). As seen in the picture, KSP MA however has no DDS viewer.

3) If I am correct, in older KSPMA versions (1.3.something?) there was also another tab (hint: "Vessels"), very very useful. Hope to not have spoiled a possible surprise here, but is there any hope to have that one back as well?

UPDATE: 2-A) seems related to having multiple /GameData under the same root KSP install ("KSP 1.0" in my case). I often use multiple GameData to swap with specific add-on settings (in particular due to testing activities). So, seems KSP MA is reading flags not just from "GameData", but from anything within the KSP install.

The "check for update" or update status still seems a bit wierd.

https://github.com/MachXXV/EditorExtensions/releases/tag/v2.8 <- Downloaded that about an hour ago. Says 2.8

KSPMA lists 2.8.0.0 (and KSP 1.0.2) and says it's outdated?

I understand KSP-AVC being displayed as outdated. While there is no new version, the newest version is for 0.25, so I get that part.

Similar to Kerbal Joint Reinforcement's 3.1.3, which is for 1.0.0.

But the EditorExtensions should display as up-to-date.

Edit:

It would also be appreciated if KSPMA would take a look at the archive name ("Near_Future_Construction-0.5.2.zip" for example) before it decides how to name the mod. That mod is one of many that automatically get named "Community Resource Pack", just because it's the first mod in the zip's GameData.

Sry, i wasn't able to reproduce your "Always outdated" problem, but i have improved the version comparision already.

The next version will also add several options for AVC version file support (on/off, ignore Name and ignor URL)

Here you can turn the option "Ignore Name" to on and KMA² will keep the mod name from the URL or the archive file.

Hi MacTee,

few things about version 2.2.0.1.

1) Happy to find the "Flags" tab is back and kicking (when it was the last version it was in? 1.3.something?). Quite a nice surprise, as I couldn't find it mentioned lately.

2) However, few minor issues show about flags display. Pic below:

--removed--

2-A) It may be noted some flags display twice. Checked, the specific file ("flag".png) only exists once. Believe it may have something to do with the folder structure, but nothing evident (can see flags display only from subfolders named "Flags").

2-B) In a few cases, flags are made from .dds files, taking advantage from the new ability of KSP 1.0.x to use that format (yes, they work in game). As seen in the picture, KSP MA however has no DDS viewer.

3) If I am correct, in older KSPMA versions (1.3.something?) there was also another tab (hint: "Vessels"), very very useful. Hope to not have spoiled a possible surprise here, but is there any hope to have that one back as well?

UPDATE: 2-A) seems related to having multiple /GameData under the same root KSP install ("KSP 1.0" in my case). I often use multiple GameData to swap with specific add-on settings (in particular due to testing activities). So, seems KSP MA is reading flags not just from "GameData", but from anything within the KSP install.

1) The flag tab was just some finger training ;) But its nice that it is in use!

2) Yes KMA² don't supports DDS preview. Windows doesn't ships with native DDS support. The image format was introduced by DirectX if i'm not wrong.

Anyway i have to load (and ship?) the directx.dll's to support DDS format or i could include two other open source librarys that would implement DDS decoding.

Till now I'm not sure if i want the two extra dll's just for a preview ... but if there is the demand ... ;)

2-A) The new version will only scan the GameData folder.

2-B) see 2) :)

3) b p4713n7 ;)

What's new:

• Options added for AVC version file support.
  • Version comparing improved (during mod update check).
  • Flag scan will only scan GameData folder.
  • Fix in KSPForumHander
  • "Solving Message shows always" bug fixed.
  • Fix in CurseForgeHandler
  • Localization fixes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.