Halp i need tips on dockin!

SolidSnivy

i have not made it to the mun yet. no matter how hard i try i can never get there :(. anyone help with that? ive gone there in the tutorial but i cant land idk how. anyway back to teh station. i just got it into orbit and im going to send up a solar farm to attach to the front of the station. any tips on how to dock?

I'm sure scott manely has a video on it. but here is a few tips.

have at lease 100 rcs, quick save once you are close.

switch to target mode by clicking the orbit button.

set target as the actual port you wanna dock to, set control form here with the port on the ship you are controlling.

take your time, it takes time to learn how to dock, you will develop your own style for docking.

here are 2 videos of me actually docking.

"jump to 12 min in"

"watch from beginning"

hopefully this helps some.

Look around on the forum, especially in the 'How-To' section. Plenty of people have devoted a large amount of their time to make tutorials for people just like you :D they are very good quality

My short list of tips (in order of importance):

1. Have enough RCS

2. BALANCE your placement of your RCS

3. use ASAS, use it a lot

Welcome to the community SolidSnivy :)

Landing on the Mun does take some practice, I suggest you get into a low orbit, something like 10km is good, that way you don't have to land until you are ready.

When you see a place you want to land at, slow down so you are descending vertically (you'll see the marker at the top of the navball) and gently descend on your main engine thrust.

Don't forget to extend your landing legs :D

Welcome to the community SolidSnivy :)

Landing on the Mun does take some practice, I suggest you get into a low orbit, something like 10km is good, that way you don't have to land until you are ready.

When you see a place you want to land at, slow down so you are descending vertically (you'll see the marker at the top of the navball) and gently descend on your main engine thrust.

Don't forget to extend your landing legs :D

What are these things you call 'landing legs'? :)

n5sLEc6.png

SolidSnivy - it's not a very exciting ship to land on the Mun as its unmanned. It's easy to get to the Mun though as it's very light - but it also handles quite nicely for the actual landing. Take a probe core, put the smallest 'engine for ants' on the bottom and fit a toroidal tank around the engine. A standard decoupler will fit around the tank and will work just fine. The rest of it is just for the look really. I'm using these as navigation beacons to mark out landing sites and I figure a navigation beacon should have some communication gear!