ITT: We attempt to formalize our mission plans.

M5000

Holo, the chart you linked is incredible. And I gotta say the less compact version you made is much, much clearer. When multiple arrows lead to one item, is your intent to say "either of these could lead to this mission as a logical follow-up"? Because that makes it less linear, and I like that. It would be pretty weird as a player to achieve a lunar orbital probe and move straight on to a series of Laythe missions, but the game is all about openness (at least in sandbox). I suppose when funding is implemented -- assuming you're not going to get more money until you have some small successes -- it'll keep the missions in reasonable order.

I understand you're just laying out YOUR space program there, but if you tricked out that chart with ALL the possibilities it'd be k-k-k-killer. Can your software implement some sort of color-coding or grouping for less significant tasks? Like where you have "Tylo Resource Scan" there might as well be a bunch of other Tylo-related tasks like landing or setting up a station. If we're talking "things you can do in the game" rather than "things useful for the purpose of extra-Kerbin habitation".

The many arrows mean that all of these should be needed to do the mission. You could also interpret it as that though.

The tasks can be colour coded and grouped. What kinds of groups are you thinking about?

I decided to start a new save so I could do this series of missions.

WARNING: LIST LONG

Genesis Program

• Unmanned Suborbital
  • Unmanned Orbital
  • Manned Suborbital
  • Manned Orbital

Armstrong Program

• Unmanned Mun Orbit
  • Unmanned Mun Landing
  • Manned Mun Orbit
  • Manned Mun Landing
  • Unmanned Rover
  • Manned Rover

Aldrin Program

• Unmanned Minmus Orbit
  • Unmanned Minmus Landing
  • Manned Minmus Orbit
  • Manned Minmus Landing
  • Unmanned Rover (gravity too low for manned rover)

Skyler Program

• Unmanned Eve Orbit
  • Unmanned Eve Landing
  • Unmanned Rover
  • Manned Eve Orbit (manned landing, never mind manned rover, is just a bad idea)

Curiosity Program

• Unmanned Duna Orbit
  • Unmanned Duna Landing
  • Unmanned Rover
  • Manned Duna Orbit
  • Manned Duna Landing
  • Manned Rover

Potter Program

• Unmanned Dres Orbit
  • Unmanned Dres Landing
  • Unmanned Rover
  • Manned Dres Orbit
  • Manned Dres Landing
  • Manned Rover

Ares Program

• Unmanned Moho Orbit
  • Unmanned Moho Landing
  • Unmanned Rover
  • Manned Moho Orbit
  • Manned Moho Landing (environment unsuitable for manned rover)

Ashley Program

• Unmanned Jool Orbit
  • Unmanned Jool Atmosphere Probe
  • Unmanned Joolian Moon Orbits
  • Unmanned Joolian Moon Landings
  • Unmanned Rovers (except Pol, too bumpy)
  • Manned Jool Orbit
  • Manned Joolian Moon Orbits
  • Manned Joolian Moon Landings
  • Manned Rovers (again, except Pol)

Outskirts Program

• Unmanned Eeloo Orbit
  • Unmanned Eeloo Landing
  • Manned Eeloo Orbit
  • Manned Eeloo Landing (no real need for rovers)

I will then decide the JSP's future. I will probably do AAR's for the manned interplanetary landings.

The tasks can be colour coded and grouped. What kinds of groups are you thinking about?

For example, every instance of 'resource scan' can be categorised as such, and everything under 'Laythe' is also a category. They're already arranged by celestial body (approximate location in chart).

I keep thinking of your flowchart as something that might be implemented in career mode, even if it's never explicitly shown in the game. Everything in the category for Laythe missions would be totally unavailable until you complete early missions around Kerbin (demonstrating basic orbital flight etc.) and discover Laythe (with whatever telescope research is going to be implemented later). And none of the 'resource scan' missions would be available -- not even for Mun and Minmus -- before you acquired the appropriate technology for it.

It'd be cool to have something in-game like that chart, showing your completed objectives and 'available' missions: describing, I guess, what your space program has shown to be capable of. It'd start with only a few items and exploding into something like yours. Damn, speculation is fun. I might have to make my own

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.