Show off your awesome KSP Pictures-Presented By Venku Rocketry International

venku122

How long should the next Screenshot montage be?  

1,783 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the next Screenshot montage be?

The Sunray Orbital Defense Station.

TX4JE.png

Taken into orbit, the six railguns fire in a clockwise circle. When ammunition runs out, the crew moves into the outer habitation modules, which are blasted off. The crew is -hopefully- recovered, and the station is destroyed by my BattleCross warship.

Haven\'t gotten it up there yet, though.

screenshot37.png

screenshot38.png

screenshot39.png

screenshot40.png

screenshot41.png

Next launch I put it into orbit around Kerbin, this was just to make sure its stages worked properly.

Sure the payload was small, but the important thing was, it was stable. An all-Challenger parts rocket that can actually fly.

Oh and if it was upscaled to Earth proportions, you could fit a Nova C8 inside the chassis.

Edit:

Spoiler tags for ease of reading.

screenshot43.png

Going with something a little Celestia-esque this time, it was unfortunate that this was the maximum zoom distance.

Edit: And some additional screens from the DUA&PS Luna rocket.

screenshot51.png

Viewing the Mun just after starting the launch.

screenshot53.png

Decoupling the first stage, then pushing it away even more with the second stage\'s thrust. Nevermind that it already has retro thrusters doing the work for me.

screenshot56.png

At my desired altitude, getting ready to make my orbital path.

screenshot58.png

Launching the orbital module after releasing the fairings.

screenshot46.png

Munar insertion is green. Sat around for longer than two seconds this time. And a shot of Kerbol while we\'re at it.

screenshot47.png

Leaving for Kerbin.

screenshot49.png

Landing didn\'t turn out as I hoped. Overshot a peninsula by a rather significant margin so I went ahead with a splashdown via parachute. Along with another Kerbol shot.

How come Munar landings are only piece of cake for some people ???

I can only speak for myself, but I put a lot of development time into my craft. It actually has too much fuel and power needed for a Mun landing, but this is intended for interplanetary flight as well.

How come Munar landings are only piece of cake for some people ???

Personally I\'ve found a good munar landing all comes down to how much preparation beforehand I\'ve done to attempt to simplify the landing. Generally speaking, whenever possible I try to land in a crater since it\'s fairly low, sloped, and has an average height all around the same. Around 3000m I switch the readout from orbital to surface display, then cancel all of my momentum out, and point myself straight up so I\'m going to fall straight down. At 1000m I doublecheck to make sure my momentum is *only* vertical, and slow to less than 50m/s. At this point I stop doing all control input other than throttle and turn the ASAS on with rcs thrusters. Why will become apparent in a moment. I continue slowly approaching the surface - on the light side of the mun, I can see the spaceship\'s shadow as I get close. On the dark side, I have to slow to less than 10m/s, and hopefully won\'t bounce. When I\'m sure I\'m very close, I slow to less than 5m/s, and try in fact to get it down less than 2m/s if possible. Sometimes this is tricky. I want to have the engines throttled at this point to where they\'re *just* not quite able to stop the ship accellerating downwards vertically. When I hit the mun\'s surface, I should be moving slowly, and this throttle setting will prevent me from bouncing. I then turn the throttle all the way off once I\'m sure I\'ve planted on the surface. If I\'ve bounced, I instead throttle up; the asas will keep my ship from flipping over and will point me back in the right direction, so I simply fly up to around 1000m, kill my velocity, then try landing again. Mind that my lander has two tanks of fuel for landing and going home, and I rarely use more than half of a tank on the actual landing...

Now, the reason for having the rcs thrusters on with the asas is that with insufficient thrust to get off the surface, I am going to tip in the direction downwards in the crater. This will (with the engine on) cause the ship to move slowly in that direction. Once you turn the engine off, you\'re going to be dragging along the surface - but the asas is going to be trying to force your ship to point in the direction it was set to using the rcs thrusters - which will have the side effect of slowing your ship down. Once you\'ve stopped moving, shut the asas off, of course. No need to waste the rcs.

I\'ve landed and taken off more than ten times using this technique, and it\'s only gotten easier with time. By not having to worry about killing my horizontal velocity or manually fly my ship when landing, I can more readily pay attention to fuel remaining, vertical velocity, and can react faster when things go wrong.

Just thought a tip or two might be useful. :)