Hawkinator's almost-multiplayer pass along the save file challenge thingy.

Challenge Completed

Total challenges completed: 46

Total kerbals lost: 1

Total lost vehicles: 5

Total planetetary landings: 2

Challenge was easy but fun. the debris was already on a orbit inside the apmosphere which ment I did not really have to bother much with the debris causing the c enter of mass not be at the center of thrust; I just waited 'til the atmosphere slowed me down enougn and dropped it.

I did then move to a higher orbit and parked at the Shive Station for later use.

LK4BJIc.jpg

See through the photos here

Next challange: The next two weeks are calm, and nothing out of the ordinary is happening. The manticore two is set to go to Moho and should take an advantage of the window comming up in 15 days.

Do this in the following way:

1: Perform a Moho ejection burn

2: Decouple from the satellite

3: Make a re-capture burn

4: Refuel at Shiva station.

Download savefile here

Edited by etse

Challenge #47 Complete

Total Kerbals lost: 1

Vehicles lost: 6

Extra-Kerbin landings: 2

Next transfer window: Dres in 26 days

KSC had a surprise inspection during the two-week wait for the Moho transfer window, so they busied themselves by creating a small impactor ship to join the Manticore Two for the transfer. They have docked and are now on an intercept for Moho with a high periapsis.

g8HJf6Fs.png Yt72VSns.png

WuFhgbal.png

Meanwhile, the Charon performed a successful re-capture, aerobrake, docking and refueling with Shiva station. The Shiva fuel module has a remaining supply of 35%.

hb2IH7Ms.png MBTpdLJs.png

UhLH97Tl.png

The next challenge shall be to create a dune buggy for Bill, since he wishes to explore Kerbin a bit. This rover should seat at least two, and be equipped with a jet engine as well as auxiliary electrical wheels. Also, the Soyuz will reach the SOI of Jool in five days, so you will need to aerobrake and set in on an intercept for Laythe.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZocjRUTzItY0d3OUk/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

Part 1 Complete!

Extra-Kerbin landings: 2

Bill was excited that someone finally came to pick him up off the runway, but was again disappointed when it was a remote controlled rover with a note taped to the door.

Dear Bill, this is very expensive, so don't break it! We're not sure why engineering decided to install enormous jet engines, Leonard Kerman thinks that might be dangerous to use. Buttons 1-3 turn on the various lights. 4 extends the ladder. 5 and 6 will raise and lower the front and rear landing wheels independently. 9 opens your solar panels and 0 toggles your communications. We'd prefer if you just left those on so we can tell you what to do and stuff.

-Kerbal Space Command

RZaO0I7.png

de5hfKb.png

Bill and Jeb's Excellent Adventure! Drive Bill's rover to the Manticore nearby and pick up Jeb for some adventuring!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TiHboEU4cOdlM4VDFkNVNiUFU/edit

Edited by Jenkinz

Thanks! :D

As for the Jool encounter, it's still a few days out. I did some simulations and just couldn't get a good Laythe encounter with the amount of fuel left, and yes, I used aero braking. I'll leave it to someone more skilled with these maneuvers.

Mission successfull

We have achieved orbit around Laythe with no need for extra fuel!

This was a fun flight, especially since I have never done anything interplanitary before.

I would reccomend to go check out my gallery from the trip for the full story with images.

When getting close to Jool mission control back at Kerbin had calculated a way to get to Laythe with the small amount of fuel left by just doing some small adjustments on the orbit and use the atmosphere on both Jool and Laythe to their advantage. As Jenlord was tired of beeing in his spaceship they all agreed they would take advantage of this - and just go for it. Fuel still has to sent to allow Jenlorf to get back home some day; but he is in no hurry - he has to explore Laythe!

In short I adjusted the Orbit to make sure I entered Jools atmosphere at correct angle, to align myself with Laythe, and aerobreaked into an orbit that an encounter with Laythe sometime soon.

After just a few orbits around Laythe I got such an encounter and used Laythe's atmosphere to aerobreake once more - and achieved a stable orbit. The total use of fuel was around 230 m/s.

2363.jpg

Next challange: Land the landingmodule on a suitable location on Laythe. Click here for savefile.

Edited by etse

The shiva one has been used to refuel alot of other stuff so theres not much fuel left in that one. Popcorn is plannet to go to Jool, and has alot of fuel - but no docking stations. So that doesn't help.

But I think I found it "Jool fuel depot A", and as the name tells us - this one works as a fuel depot, so someone that is good at it need to setup an alarm for that one.

Challenge #50 Complete

Extra-Kerbin landings: 3

After a few "experiments,"

zrEzHypl.jpg

...Jenlorf touched down on an atoll:

p2D0msBl.png

This was the most interesting land mass I saw, so I hope it is sufficient :P

It turns out that Kerbal Command was so focused on the Jool capture that they forgot about the Manticore Two and its transfer! To remedy this have it perform a 350 m/s retrograde burn with the ion engine, and add an alarm to make a course correction at the new apoapsis. Bill has been waiting patiently in his dune buggy for Jeb the last month, so it's time to reward him: bring Jeb from the Manticore spaceplane to the dune buggy and take them to the beach!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoQVlKMm9EVmttZU0/edit?usp=sharing

-snip-

I picked that number based on playing with maneuver nodes, it was the smallest dV I could find that will keep the probe in phase with Moho on the next orbit, though it will still require a course correction to get an injection. I don't know if there is a better way, but I won't complain if you find one!

I thought it would be good to have a "state of the space program" somewhere since we've got a lot of pages before now so here's at least a list of what each flight is currently doing (is everything correct?):

New Horizon 71 - needs to be "recycled"

LRA Refueler - Ready for use (landed at KSS)

Bill's Excellent Adventure (dune buggy) - Ready for use

Manticore - Ready for use (landed at KSS)

Delta Probe - Ready for use (orbiting Minmus)

Manticore Two - Destined for Moho orbit

Manticore One - Transferring to Dres SOI in 76 days

Shiva Station - Idle (orbiting Kerbin)

Soyuz 117 - Idle (landed on Laythe)

MunSat mk1 - Idle (orbiting Mun)

MunSat Probe - Idle (landed on Mun)

Link Rover Mobile Base - Idle (landed on Mun)

Mun Base Beacon - Idle (landed on Mun)

TV Sat Polar - Idle (obiting Kerbin)

TV Sat Equator - Idle (orbiting Kerbin)

Popcorn - Waiting for transfer window to Jool

Hermes I Jool - Waiting for transfer window to Jool

Jool Fuel Depot A - Waiting for transfer window to Jool

Act. Duna Station - Waiting for transfer window to Duna

Act. Duna Habitat - Waiting for transfer window to Duna

Kerbosity - Waiting for transfer window to Duna

Next transfer window: Dres in less than a day

Challenge #51 Complete

Extra-Kerbin landings: 3

The Manticore 2 has performed a 350m/s retro burn, and the KSC has marked the date of the apoapsis with a big red felt pen on the biggest calendar they could find. 27 days away!

XNHaBhT.png

Jeb was thrilled to be reunited with his friend Bill. On their way to the beach north of the KSC, they stopped by the remains of Bill's old Horizon space plane to retrieve what was left of the duct tape. They alerted the Kerbal wrecking crew of it's location and they promptly removed the bits from the lawn.

CghBlJO.png

Unfortunately, it was dark by the time they reached the beach and the rover had run out of power.

A few more images at the link: http://imgur.com/a/KMFVh

Next challenge: The Link-Rover Mobile Base is just sitting around, and the probe computer is starting to become self aware after all that time thinking. Construct a vehicle to bring at least 2 Kerbals to the Link-Rover to quell the inevitable rebellion. The landing vehicle should be on wheels and able to dock with the Link-Rover.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TiHboEU4cOZEcxek1pNktBaWc/edit

By the way, I just tried to fly the Soyuz to check out the cool looking spot it was landed and it explodes violently every time I load it. Says a few parts collided with the surface in the mission stats. I didn't attempt to switch to it until after I completed and uploaded the last challenge, so it's still intact in the file above. Is this just me?

Edited by Jenkinz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.