[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

those are almost exactly what I was looking for, there a little big for this model tho, and they dont retract as well which makes it a bit harder, i\'ll stick with the ones that came with the ceres for now

This is still my favorite pack for the basics: fuel tanks, engines, and SRBs.

One of the reasons I originally liked it is it\'s proportionate to the stock parts... or at least it was. .16 changes things.

Last night I spent several hours calculating cylindrical volumes, fuel quantities, fuel mass and dry mass for all the liquid tanks so they\'re proportionate to the basic stock liquid tanks. Also changed the liquid engines so they\'re proportionately lighter, stronger, and with Isp similar to the stock engines. Made all the decouplers much lighter too. Now I\'m thinking about the SRBs... I think they need shorter burn times, since a few test launches with the new stats consistently have the SRBs burning longer than the first stage they\'re connected to.

(Edit: I just did the math on all the SRBs... Wow, I never realized how all over the map those things are. Most are waaay more efficient than the stock parts, and a couple are very inefficient. I edited mine to make them consistent.)

Anyway, all these config edits are just for my personal use, and I\'m sure others would disagree with specific changes, but... Kyle and Winston, how do you guys feel about players sharing altered config files for your mod pack? Would that be okay? Or maybe you would rather put together an official rebalance?

One of the reasons I originally liked it is it\'s proportionate to the stock parts... or at least it was. .16 changes things.

Last night I spent several hours calculating cylindrical volumes, fuel quantities, fuel mass and dry mass for all the liquid tanks so they\'re proportionate to the basic stock liquid tanks. Also changed the liquid engines so they\'re proportionately lighter, stronger, and with Isp similar to the stock engines. Made all the decouplers much lighter too. Now I\'m thinking about the SRBs... I think they need shorter burn times, since a few test launches with the new stats consistently have the SRBs burning longer than the first stage they\'re connected to.

(Edit: I just did the math on all the SRBs... Wow, I never realized how all over the map those things are. Most are waaay more efficient than the stock parts, and a couple are very inefficient. I edited mine to make them consistent.)

Anyway, all these config edits are just for my personal use, and I\'m sure others would disagree with specific changes, but... Kyle and Winston, how do you guys feel about players sharing altered config files for your mod pack? Would that be okay? Or maybe you would rather put together an official rebalance?

I second this motion. The 55 gallon drums for the 2m stock fuel tanks are horrible and tend to accordion in on themselves.

I\'m sort of* finishing up the main pack as we speak, so you can wait and see before you jump the gun.

As for the CERES i\'ll need to wait for Winston as I think we have to mess around with the model and exporter to get all the new features rolling.

I just finished making some changes and here they are.

A mildly accurate change log:

#Engines

-Engine mass reduced by about 25%.

-Engine power increased by about 15%

-Installed Isp (Sepecific Impulse) changes to the rockets, gets lower overall as the size goes up buy varies with the rocket.

-Installed vacIsp, the same as the above, some rockets will have high vacIsp because they\'re upperstage rockets made for space.

#SRBs

-Increase of 15% to follow the engines

-Tweaked the names of the center stack rockets to make then easier to indentify.

#Fuel

-Applied the '200 fuel = 1 mass' of the default fuel tanks.

-As a result the fuel tanks are heavier, the amount varies but I would put it at about a 20% increase.

Basically it\'s a touch 'harder', but now it all works.

To install over a current KW version, delete all the KW SRB\'s to stop it making clones.

Download: http://www./download.php?g1ggc13ojngjcmg

Test the changes for me, they seemed alright on the few rockets I flew but I can\'t be 100% if they\'re what everyone likes.

Lovely!

The crash tolerances for, well most parts, are still a little too low, though.

I find myself having to adjust them up a fair bit for the parts to work well in practice.

Edit:

Did you forget/remove the decoupler shrouds?

Lovely!

The crash tolerances for, well most parts, are still a little too low, though.

I find myself having to adjust them up a fair bit for the parts to work well in practice.

Well, you don\'t want it too high, or else scattered booster stages litter the Space Center.

Could someone please explain this new ISP = Specific impulse?

I mean, how am i supposed to see how much fuel they use?

All you\'ve got to do is right click on the engine. It should show the ISP of it. ISP is the ratio of which how much an engine burns at once and how much thrust is put out.

For instance, the VASIMR ion engine has an ISP in the 10,000\'s while an SRB (Like in real life) has only 350. Basically, more ISP = less thrust, but more efficient.

Can we also get this in .zip form so that users of the Kerbal Space Program: Mod Manager can use it more easily? Have a look here for info about the program. If you feel like it, it\'d be awesome if you could take a minute or two and throw together info.txt files for each mod as described in that thread, as well.

Can we also get this in .zip form so that users of the Kerbal Space Program: Mod Manager can use it more easily? Have a look here for info about the program. If you feel like it, it\'d be awesome if you could take a minute or two and throw together info.txt files for each mod as described in that thread, as well.

Here it is in zip format:

http://www.speedyshare.com/RpPJg/KW-Challenger-Pack-v0.5-16.zip

I kinda glazed over writing the text files because I just woke up, my bad. I might do it later today.

At the moment i\'m uploading the Low Res version as well.

Hi everyone, I\'m having trouble downloading things from mediafire. It would be nice if someone could post a mirror. First post btw! ;D

The link above should work for you.

Could someone please explain this new ISP = Specific impulse?

I mean, how am i supposed to see how much fuel they use?

It\'s basically a measure of how much the rocket can move something relative to the fuel used up.

Use it along with the thrust value to estimate how much it\'s going to use in a vacuum or in atmosphere.

Here\'s your rough guide to good and bad.

400+ Balls to the wall awesome

400~ Pretty good

370~ good

325~ normally

300~ touch hungry

270- It Hungers ... for more

Hope that helps.

Kyle or Winston, some more information about the KSPMM, if you\'re interested.

Norway174 has set up a system that allows the mod manager to be activated by certain links, which then initiate a direct download of the mod being linked to. We can set up the links for you if we have direct download links to where you host them, or if you can host html pages, we can set up the page for you to host. If you would like us do so, feel free to PM me or Norway174 with direct download links to the mods you want set up.