[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

Launched the Challenger LEM atop my Rigel II heavy lift rocket:

YSBoC.png

Plonked the lander down with about 2 seconds of fuel left, just inside the rim of the biggest 'sea'.

CZrda.png

Flew the ascent stage back into lunar orbit. Here it is just before the Trans-Kerbin Injection burn:

MmWyy.png

Jettisoned the ascent stage:

XEpUJ.png

KRagy.png

So yeah, we\'ll have it released pretty soon, then start work on some fairings or something.

We might have to do something about that descent fuel, that was cutting it very fine.

But how would it have enough fuel/thrust?

It\'s... sort of small.

Easily. Mun gravity is very very low. A pod + some fuel + some engine gets you home as long as you do not waste the fuel doing silly things. And yes, the thing you want to do is effectively point at Kerbin, fire engine. Once your apokee is something like 1000-1300km from the Mun, you *will* leave the sphere of influence and end up orbiting Kerbin. A simple retroburn from that orbit will do the rest. If you are tight on fuel, you may want to do a 'lap' around Kerbin and do it at apokee - that way the fuel needed is tiny.

Great job on both the rockets and the lander. Yet as far as the latter goes, I\'ve been having difficulties keeping it stable. Any chance you might add a scaled down SAS module to make flight easier?

We were going to do a ASAS module to put on it, so it can use the RCS\'s for stability.

What stage are you having problems with?

This is by far my favorite mod I\'ve used. I\'ve got one fairly large complaint however. There are no transitions (cones or fuel tanks) to larger diameter ship parts it seems. Also there should be some engine fairings being as though LREs are ugly as hell.

It is on the list, probably start making some for the next version along with some fairings and other goodies.

just downloaded 0.4. i went through the engines in game, and realized that they weren\'t vectored. you have the thrust vectoring commented out of the .cfg

// thrustVectoringCapable = True
// gymbalRange = 10

when it should be something like

thrustVectoringCapable = True
gimbalRange = 10.0

without the double slashes, cause // means to ignore as code, and its just there to help the reader follow what the code is doing like

//this section controls engine gimbals
thrustVectoringCapable = True
gimbalRange = 10.0

meaning that the the rest of the line after // is ignored by the game.

just downloaded 0.4. i went through the engines in game, and realized that they weren\'t vectored. you have the thrust vectoring commented out of the .cfg

Are you using the low res version? I think that one has them commented. I shall tell Kyle when he appears as he does the low res things.

You\'re missing the RCS fuel tank module, which goes on before the tank.

Uploading the fixed version, it somehow managed to ignore me deleting the old archive when I made a new one so it came out with a older version.

All Fixed now, just redownload the low res.