High speed, Low altitude Plane Challenge

I got this idea from a thread in general discussion and thought it would make a good challenge.This is my first time suggesting a challenge so I apologize if I went about it wrong. The goal is to establish a low altitude speed record. The rules are as follows:

-Stock parts only

-must be an air breathing engine

-Low altitude being below 2000 meters

Post a screen of your aircraft at top speed and a screen of the end flight mission report.

Current Record: Ekku Zakku 430 m/s in the SenbuRobotto

Edited by flyin_ruski

My very minimalist plane, the Senbu (meaning Apex in Japanese):

qifBHc5.png

Simple is good:

JwBPyZY.png

I could probably break 400 m/s if I timed my fuel running out to being as close as possible to the 2 km altitude barrier. Also gonna try a smaller fuel tank; less dead weight and less time to get to almost empty XD

Also going to try a version with more engines. I will post my results lol.

EDIT: also I know I haven't posted my flight results screen yet, but that's because I'm trying to do it without going above 2 km. With such a minimalist plane, it's very unstable and will dip and dive a lot, and I've been frequently going above 2 km. I'll post my full submission when I'm happy with my result =3

PS: I have passed 400 m/s at under 2 km with a smaller fuel tank, although it's incredibly unsteady and idk if I could reach max speed without going above 2 km during the flight XD

Edited by Ekku Zakku

(Old submission, scroll down for my new one)

Ok, after some adjustments to make it more stable, I reached 403.8 m/s without going above 2 km!

lIFITBVm.png

Flight Results:

YVaWhExm.png

New Submission:

Added a 4th engine for a bit more umph without sucking the intake completely dry, and managed 114.1 m/s:

S37hLK7.png

Flight Results:

4MWHxNc.png

EDIT: I might or might not have just broken 500 m/s under 2km ASL... Yeah, I'll post that when I have a viable submission XD

EDIT 2: ok yeah, it wasn't with an air-breathing engine so it isn't a viable submission, but 563 m/s while staying under 2km was fun lol.

Edited by Ekku Zakku

The problem with only using air-breathing engines is that there's a TWR wall that gets hit pretty quickly, I calculated it to be about 183 kN per tonne. If somebody does the math and puts that with the drag at 1999 km ASL, we should find the theoretical maximum.

Outstanding work everyone! Really glad people started participating in this.

Current Record: Ekku Zakku 414m/s

Is Senbu the name of the record holding plane Ekku?

Yes it is =3 same name and built from the same base plane, just modified a bit.

it was a pain to fly, I'd be impressed if somebody does better XD it's hard to pass that wall with air breathing engines though, drop some SRB cans on there and you can go 500 m/s+ lmao. It's all about TWR

• 3 weeks later...

My first ever challenge submission. A disposable, staging, probe plane,

The Walrus!

walrus3.png

It looks scary but it is solid and easy to fly...until staging.

walrus1.png

433 M/S

walrus2.png

The walrus has a few seconds of fuel after staging, provided by two yellow tanks behind the intake. Stats picture was taken just after running out of fuel. It 'lands' via the impact method.

I think that manned and unmanned craft should be separate categories for scoring, because the manned pods weigh more.

• 1 year later...

just got to 440 m/s!

yes, i know i forgot to ditch the oxidizer in the droptanks, but the drop anyway so it doesnt matter.

i originally made it for m1sz fastest under 1km challenge, but it couldnt land, and was 5 m/s slower than the current record holder.

i got soooooooo close to 2km (1998m), but never went over:D

anyway, for the record, dussel V:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

tell me if the imgur album doesnt work.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.