[0.20] Ioncross Crew Support Plugin ([0.22] dev build)

yongedevil

Wow, it seams everyone else is more on top of this than I am. I'm working on hurrying up the next version to get it out as an official release for Kerbal 0.20. Since I think I can get this done by the end of the weekend I don't plan on repackaging the current version for Kerbal 0.20.

No, no that's ok. I think that still most users/players really prefer just to copy over things plus you were saying something about improving the plugin itself which is neat.

Could I suggest, if you're still using the RCS models, using the textures that ZZZ posted earlier?

They made it look appropriately life support like, and fit the game nicely.

Did you hear about NASA's 3D printer for food? It reminded me of this. With technology like that Kerbals could just have a simple tank of supplies.

I hope they don't eat much.

I would use this mod if doing so didn't require tacking on lots of extra stuff to my ships. Not only does this make it look a little ridiculous, but it very much renders any ships utterly incompatible without the mod.

You can use ialdabaoth's dynamic fuel tanks to circumvent the requirement for 'specialized' oxygen tank parts, I believe. You'd have to make a custom .cfg but I'm sure you can get it so that spherical monopropellant tanks will also hold oxygen, though I doubt the ratios would be correct.

There is something else though and that's the CO2 scrubbers. The dynamic fuel tanks allow you to change the weight of a part by loading up the 'insides'. It would be interesting to allow a functionality like this on the command pods, allowing you to slot out the current CO2 scrubber with a heavier, more efficient one. This wouldn't add other parts, it would merely dynamically increase the mass of the command pod.

To me the biggest change that could be made to get rid of the extra parts, and to add realism is get rid of the need to add oxygen tanks.

In reality the apolo program breathed the same oxydizer that they burned. We've got tons of oxydizer on board, lets breath some of that.

In reality the apolo program breathed the same oxydizer that they burned. We've got tons of oxydizer on board, lets breath some of that.

It most likely isn't liquid oxygen, given the known density values. :)

A device that transmutes oxidizer into oxygen by applying electric charge to it, and by itself contains a small supply of oxygen to work with, is perfectly reasonable, though, and would get rid of the need of a separate oxygen tank.

To me the biggest change that could be made to get rid of the extra parts, and to add realism is get rid of the need to add oxygen tanks.

What if its a space station? We still need a life support part. Maybe a Station Module that does all these things. and supports a certain number of crew onboard it is connected.

I created an IonCross override for BobCat HOME modules. Adding life support and resources to any part with a crew capacity, and Recycler to the habitat module.

http://pastebin.com/nPeT2U9X

I'm working overrides for Fustek station parts, and Munox but having issues so I thought I'd share this.

Thank you!! I truly appreciate your work on this. :-)

I was wondering about the mod:

I have noticed that the CO2 scrubber that needs to be activated via the menu constantly shuts off when flying/switching a different ship. My fear is that my Kerbals will die when I switch to a different ship/mission for too long of CO2 poisoning. I havent confirmed this but I believe this will also happen with the Oxygen recycler since its also activated via menu. Do the Kerbals consume/produce O2/CO2 even when not switched to that flight? (I am assuming yes but not 100% sure)

If yes is there a way around this problem??

First, thank you so much for writing this mod!

I have an idea regarding the intakes killing Kerbals: use two resource types to distinguish between 'ambient CO2' and 'compressed CO2'? Scrubbers could then convert ambient CO2 into compressed CO2. Intakes convert atmosphere into compressed CO2.

If there's an excess of CO2 and nowhere to store it, it could be vented (no need for a separate part here; it can be done automatically by an overpressure valve).

Having worked in the aerospace industry for nearly 10 years on cockpit display systems, I must insist that ALL command modules should consume electric charge. Modules with crew should consume more than unmanned modules because in addition to the communication systems and the built-in SAS, the flight instrumentation consumes power. Once a command modules is hacked to consume power, it becomes inoperable when you run out of power. As such I see no reason to kill the crew simply for lack of power.

If you consider that the crew could freeze without power, remember that in space there is no atmosphere into which heat can be lost due to convection (it is lost through a process called black body radiation). That said, decompression of oxygen requires heat for it to be breathable (ideal gas law); you could also model oxygen in two forms (ambient and compressed) but I don't feel it's necessary since the crew will die from CO2 build up while the scrubber is unpowered.

Yeah, that didn't happen. I ran into a troublesome bug and had to restructure some of the code over the weekend. I'm just now going through killing some bugs with the new code. Because I've had a lot of delays already and I want to get a version out for Kerbal 0.20 the next version will be somewhat stripped down. So there won't be any EVA life support or resource consumption for inactive craft.

If everything goes well I hope to get the remaining major bugs wrapped up tonight and then be able to do final tweaks the in the next two days. So here's hoping I'll have something to show soon.

Yeah, that didn't happen. I ran into a troublesome bug and had to restructure some of the code over the weekend. I'm just now going through killing some bugs with the new code. Because I've had a lot of delays already and I want to get a version out for Kerbal 0.20 the next version will be somewhat stripped down. So there won't be any EVA life support or resource consumption for inactive craft.

If everything goes well I hope to get the remaining major bugs wrapped up tonight and then be able to do final tweaks the in the next two days. So here's hoping I'll have something to show soon.

Aw, no resource consumption for inactive craft? How long will it be before that gets put back in?

I'm just going to put two things here:

AmpYear.

Modular fuel tanks.

The former, because, well, it should be obvious. Sadly, it doesn't appear AmpYear has a way to allow other mods to easily interface with it, which is a bit of a shame, because something like that is definitely needed, especially since Squad decided nothing in this damn game drains power except probe cores, ion engines, and wheels.

The latter because it would address irritation with needing lots of external tanks. I don't care about the weight, I care about the aesthetics. Something like the modular fuel tanks being part of Ioncross LSS would allow you to pack extra oxygen into command pods and increase their weight without the unneeded complication of requiring extra parts slapped on.

AmpYear.

Modular fuel tanks.

The former, because, well, it should be obvious. Sadly, it doesn't appear AmpYear has a way to allow other mods to easily interface with it, which is a bit of a shame, because something like that is definitely needed, especially since Squad decided nothing in this damn game drains power except probe cores, ion engines, and wheels.

The latter because it would address irritation with needing lots of external tanks. I don't care about the weight, I care about the aesthetics. Something like the modular fuel tanks being part of Ioncross LSS would allow you to pack extra oxygen into command pods and increase their weight without the unneeded complication of requiring extra parts slapped on.

Would Ioncross work indirectly with AmpYear? Meaning without talking to one another the drain on electricity is noticed by both?

, I care about the aesthetics. Something like the modular fuel tanks being part of Ioncross LSS would allow you to pack extra oxygen into command pods and increase their weight without the unneeded complication of requiring extra parts slapped on.

But command pods have finite volume. Packing in more oxygen and water means less room for kerbals and equipment. I'm more concerned when parts change, but the re-skin of the current parts are fine for me. I like seeing them on a craft.

I'm also hoping CO2 scrubbing can be automated. Otherwise, there's going to be a lot of switching between craft to push a button.

Thanks for the update "yongedevil" can´t await your mod. i miss the o2 support :) is one of the best mods to bring more realsim in KSP :). Love it

So, I will probably need something like ModuleManager to get this to play nicely with all the other mods like FAR, RemoteTech and all that?

*Camacha is getting a headache of just getting the mods to work. No time for launching rockets anymore :confused:

So, I will probably need something like ModuleManager to get this to play nicely with all the other mods like FAR, RemoteTech and all that?

*Camacha is getting a headache of just getting the mods to work. No time for launching rockets anymore :confused:

That's why I wrote it. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.