[0.20] Ioncross Crew Support Plugin ([0.22] dev build)

yongedevil

This appears to be a bug with Kerbal. All I do is call the crew's Die() functions to kill them, and what should happens is their pictures get replaced by static with “K.I.A.†over top. This only stays until you leave the vessel and then come back when the picture is removed. However, it appears the EVA and IVA buttons still work in this state so the crew can be revived, as you found out. I don't know why you're not seeing the pictures replaced by static.

I can't change the game's functions like Die(), so I can't fix the bugs with it and I need to use Die() in order to have the deaths properly recorded in the log. I may be able to work around the bugs to some extent though.

Out of curiosity as to why you're not seeing the pictures turn to static, what version of Kerbal are you using, including operating system?

My version number is v0.22.0.351. I play KSP through the Steam client, which I have set to update the game automatically. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, with Service Pack 1, also set to update automatically.

I do use a variety of mods, but Ioncross is the only one that seems to have any reason to affect the crew.

Of note, I do remember having seen the static in the past, so the lack of static must either be related to an update or one of my mods (though I can't imagine which one if not Ioncross).

The O2 levels in default pods is still way too high. Mark1-2 pod has 60 hours crew time which is enough to go back and forth to the Mun like 5 times.

it has 60 O2 units yes. howeverm it also has 3 crewmembers. So they'll suffocate after 20 hours. Not enough for even a single trip.

So I removed all mods except Ioncross, and I'm still not getting static when Kerbals die. I'm happy to try any other suggestions anyone might have. Anyway, I'm less bothered by the lack of static than I am by the fact that (even if I had static) it's possible to resurrect dead Kerbals by taking them EVA and then re-boarding the craft. Though I do understand this is a bug with KSP itself, not Ioncross.

it has 60 O2 units yes. howeverm it also has 3 crewmembers. So they'll suffocate after 20 hours. Not enough for even a single trip.

I stand by it. Transfer time to the Mun on the considerably lazy Hohmann scheme is slightly less than 8 hours. One can go to the Mun, land, play a game of tennis, and come back strictly on the internal Mk1-2 oxygen supply.

Is it possible to remove an ION_POD_GENERATOR from a particular part (e.g., make it such that the small lander cabin lacks a CO2 scrubber)? I understand that I can overwrite the default generator with a generator that doesn't actually do anything (see below), but it'll still show up on the part description, creating clutter and confusion. Is there a way to remove it entirely?

@PART[landerCabinSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = IonModuleCrewSupport

ION_POD_GENERATOR
{
generatorName = CO2Scrubber
}
}
}

Edit: One more question: what does the effectOnEfficency variable do?

Edited by Fraz86

I've had success avoiding the crew death bugs so that will be fixed in the next update. I kind of miss having the static effect, but completely removing the crew so there picture disappears avoids the bugs.

Fraz86, at this point you cannot remove a ION_POD_GENERATOR or ION_POD_COLLECTOR. Actually right now I can't modify them because the save/load code isn't working properly, and I'm not sure if these problems are present in dev4 or are something added when I started to try and fix the code.

At any rate, when I get things working properly you will be able to modify the module to do nothing, as you did with your code sample, and set all the hide variables to true to clear the clutter.

@PART[partname]
{
MODULE
{
name = IonModuleCrewSupport

ION_POD_GENERATOR
{
generatorName = CO2Scrubber

hideStatus = True
hideStatusL2 = True
hideEfficency = True
hideOutputControls = True
hideActivateControls = True
}
}
}

effectOnEfficency is how much the output rate is affected when that resource is depleted (or full). If set to 0.6 then when the resource runs out output of the generator will drop to 40%. The input rate will only be affected if effectOnEfficency is 1.

Edited by yongedevil
formating

This appears to be a bug with Kerbal. All I do is call the crew's Die() functions to kill them, and what should happens is their pictures get replaced by static with “K.I.A.†over top. This only stays until you leave the vessel and then come back when the picture is removed. However, it appears the EVA and IVA buttons still work in this state so the crew can be revived, as you found out. I don't know why you're not seeing the pictures replaced by static.

I can't change the game's functions like Die(), so I can't fix the bugs with it and I need to use Die() in order to have the deaths properly recorded in the log.

I'm skeptical that they really intended for die() to be used when Kerbals are in the capsules, unless it's placeholder code for later plans.

That aside, there's a few thoughts that occur to me.

#1 you aren't turning off MissingCrewsRespawn (per save file)

#2 you might need to remove the dead crew from the capsule manually.

But definitely #1. They WILL revive one way or another if you don't set that to False. That's no bug, that's by design.

You're back again, good to see.

I've been having a few bugs, but I think they are already known:

With the EVA oxygen storage- they take it out when they leave the ship, but they don't put it back in when they enter again.

Also, would it be possible to have kerbals draw oxygen through the seats? At the moment, the don't, though it would make sense if there was some little pipe for giving them O2 them.

O2 is not being used in unloaded vessels, making it easy to manage while off doing other things bases. Is a mechanism for monitoring resource levels in unloaded vessels somthing in the longterm plan?

I'm also finding scrubbers activated in vessels when you first launch, yet not staying on when you switch back to them later.

And for the record, I think the life support numbers are pretty well balanced.

Edited by Tw1

What happens on a command pod without O2 resources? Does the crew die or is the whole mechanism suspended for non-participating parts?

They die, with the caveats that have already been talked about on this page and the pages immediately preceding this one.

O2 is not being used in unloaded vessels, making it easy to manage while off doing other things bases. Is a mechanism for monitoring resource levels in unloaded vessels somthing in the longterm plan?

I'm also finding scrubbers activated in vessels when you first launch, yet not staying on when you switch back to them later.

In my game, O2 seems to be consumed on unloaded ships (and CO2 builds up due to the mentioned scrubbers bug).

At the risk of oversimplifying things,

is it not possible to simply default scrubbers to on all of the time, and completely remove the action of turning them on and off manually?

they use negligible power, and so there is never really any occasion where it is necessary or wise to turn them off. Having it a feature at all at this time seems to only have the effect of trying to catch out people who forget and suffocate their crews.

Just default it to on and only disable when their power requirements are not met. Perhaps increasing their power demand to make it a real consideration.

Getting a little tired of switching to my station every few kerbal hours to time accelerate the pumping out of all the c02 time and time again. Each time I expect to find the whole crew dead when I switch to it.

EDIT, so I just went in a made a simple cfg file change to add alwaysOn = true, and then loaded the game to find my station removing c02 by itself. I am pleased with my morning

Edited by soranno

soranno, the reason scrubbers are toggleable is the recyclers. If you are using recyclers you don't want the scrubbers on removing all the CO2.

I have managed to fix the bug that was causing the scrubbers to turn off, so they'll work again after the next update. I am however tyring to track down another bug that is causing some of the modules to save incorrectly and I can't release the next update until I can solve that. Wish I could give an ETA but I don't really know how long I'll have to work on the mod in the next couple of weeks.

Very true! That had never occurred to me. And just putting a recycler on is probably a better option than my cfg file change.. I am less pleased with my morning`s efforts than before :(

Well done on your progress! Looking forward to an update if and when it is ready

My rextextures are now up on Spaceport... which sucks, freaked out, and somehow uploaded four different entries. And won't let me delete the extras. *sigh*

Just find them off my author page http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/author/somnambulist/

Edit: yongedevil -- feel free to include these in the main package. I might do a full set of retextures in this style and just offer them both to you and tac.

It would be cool if this could have some kind of integration with kerbal attachment system, so life support resources can be added to the storage containers :)

You could always add them to KAS's addmodule, then you should be able to pick them up, carry them around, and all that.

After trying these textures out, I have to they are really nice and go well with stock parts.

My rextextures are now up on Spaceport... which sucks, freaked out, and somehow uploaded four different entries. And won't let me delete the extras. *sigh*

Just find them off my author page http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/author/somnambulist/

Edit: yongedevil -- feel free to include these in the main package. I might do a full set of retextures in this style and just offer them both to you and tac.

I think its just me but when I install this mod my PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container disappears and I have to buy it again, that's not the problem, the problem is when I purchase it again it still says needs to be unlocked at the R&D center. What do I do about that cause I know its something I'm doing wrong.

I think its just me but when I install this mod my PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container disappears and I have to buy it again, that's not the problem, the problem is when I purchase it again it still says needs to be unlocked at the R&D center. What do I do about that cause I know its something I'm doing wrong.

You'll need to edit your save file. The problem is that that the container has had its required tech changed after you unlocked it. (I dont think Ioncross does that...?)

Remove all instances of any item that has multiple tech entries. You'll find these entries in SCENARIO. There will be several groups of Tech with id = <tech_name>, each containing part = <some part>

Delete any lines that say part = where the part name is duplicated in more than one tech group. Dont just delete one unless you KNOW which group it belongs in. Delete ALL. Save. If you edited your quicksave, dont forget to load the game.

You'll need to unlock one more time since you deleted their unlock nodes. unless you knew which one belonged and didnt delete it but if you were wrong the problem came back so you should have deleted them all anyway.

Yeh, delete is completely bugged. However, you can edit the extra entries and mark them 'Private' which will hide them from everyone else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.