Temstar

hmm i forgot that ^^

i "walk" down in 50m steps

fire winch 1

move 50m down

fire winch 2

retract 1

move 50m down etc pp

I see, grappling hooks attach themselves then ejected, this leaves the question how to get out? Rocket engine?

I plan to go there to, but has anyone tried doing the MOST FREAKING AWESOME JUMP IN THE HISTORY OF AWESOME JUMPS OVER THIS THING to see if it's possible to hover over it?

I actually want to send a lander with a Skycrane device to go INTO the Mohole, and slowly descend into it. What will be at the bottom?

I see, grappling hooks attach themselves then ejected, this leaves the question how to get out? Rocket engine?

The first step was to go down not up again ^^

i think it will work with DR then you can shoot the hooks upwards.

Anyways i lost one hook, but im working on another solution.

First i try some construction on the mun with the welding from the lazor 0.26 mod and the squid plugin from hooligan labs

I have a team on Moho, but I landed them near the equator, as I was saving the Mohole for when effects like volcanism had been added.

But looks like I'd be worth seeing it in its current form.

Well, time to plan a second crew!

But better put a lid on it when we're done, just in case.

Edit: Moho is smaller than Duna, maybe I should just drive the team I already have up there.

Though they have no climbing equipment.

That hole is huge! You'd need hundreds of wing panels to plug that up.

Or maybe an asteroid...

hmm i forgot that ^^

i "walk" down in 50m steps

fire winch 1

move 50m down

fire winch 2

retract 1

move 50m down etc pp

It's the hook shot! :D

Edited by Tw1

Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the polar holes? I am interested in finding the angle at which the "cone" goes down. It would be interesting to deploy a lander of sorts, that would wedge itself between the walls (think cork in a wine bottle).

If nobody has the dimensions, how would I go about getting them myself?

I did not observe any phantom forces when I parked right at the edge. I tried to descend the hole in my lander but overshot and crashed. It was already 3am so I did not try again

Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the polar holes? I am interested in finding the angle at which the "cone" goes down. It would be interesting to deploy a lander of sorts, that would wedge itself between the walls (think cork in a wine bottle).

If nobody has the dimensions, how would I go about getting them myself?

Park a craft on either side and use the target readout to tell you the width. The depth can be found using the altitude meter and after that it's just trig. I found that it was quite steep ~80° when approached from 160° east I thought I had grabbed a better screenshot but I suppose not. Sadly Moho's gravity is a bit too much for the EVA pack.

Some pics from my mission

16CI3hwh.png

My theory is that a phantom force might pull horizontally, but not vertically. It might not be strong enough to counteract gravity, but can overcome rover wheels. It could be exploitable... Hmm...

Yet to test it, still haven't been to Moho.

I haven't bothered with Moho yet, now I probably give it a try and mark it as Testing ground for when my mobile Base is finished and i have established some kind of RemoteTech communications network in Orbit

I'd like to see David Attenborough do a nature documentary on THAT

On the scorched rock known as Moho, first planet from Kerbol, strange activity is afoot. Kerbanauts near the North and South poles have reported strange forces attracting them towards enormous holes of unknown depth. The question of the identity of these holes has been a question since they were first discovered. Now, thanks to extensive investigation and examination from probes and unlucky kerbals alike, the secrets of this bizzare state of nature have been revealed.

The giant Mohoan space worm is the largest living thing ever known to have existed. In any case it's a lot larger than the average kerbal. This creature fills the entire height of Moho. With a mouth at each end, it is speculated that the planet may have formed around it. On the surface, it appears to have a rather strange but simple physiology. It has a round mouth, no teeth nor jaw mechanisms and simply appears as a large rocky hole. But scans have revealed a more complex structure. Tendrils extrude from sides of the body, which may have been used to grasp passing peices of material, assisting it in forming it's rocky cocoon. At the base of the mouth, these tendrils reconnect to form strange rings. A bioelectric current is generated and a magnetic charge is generated to pull metallic objects continually towards the more central rings until they are forced into the gaping mineral coated mouth. From there, the objects sink down into the bely of the Mohoan space worm until they reach a point about 5 km down where it seems the trail ends. However, given enough time, the presence of matter here will cause the worm to begin digestion, crushing the item and consuming all of it's material. From there it is presumed that what the worm cannot benefit from eating it ejects into the surrounding rock, making it's trap ever larger.

I don't know, felt like elaborating. Not very documentaryish though.

The tale of a lonely probe, sent by its masters to explore another world, that must now discover, and conquer, a great evil that threatens to destroy the universe.

Admit it, who else would see that movie?

The tale of a lonely probe, sent by its masters to explore another world, that must now discover, and conquer, a great evil that threatens to destroy the universe.

Admit it, who else would see that movie?

This.

If the probe was given anthropomorphic qualities, and made emotive sounding beeps, and the move well publicesed, quite a lot.

With That.

I would watch it and be absolutely happy. :D

I do have an accelerometer

Do Kerbal accelerometers have a sensitive axis? If so, it's quite possible for it to be reading zero despite the vehicle being accelerated... if the sensitive axis isn't parallel to the direction of the pull.

Moho could be the lair of the Kraken, and the one on Bop is a decoy. The Kraken could reside in the core of Moho and the two Moholes are where it enters and exits Moho. Going too close will awaken the Kraken and pull your rover in closer to be destroyed in his lair.

I actually want to send a lander with a Skycrane device to go INTO the Mohole, and slowly descend into it. What will be at the bottom?

I didn't sleep as much as I should have last night, but I finally made a successful landing in my Mohole Lander:

8753701373_4b34ebc3b3_d.jpg

(I guess spoiler tags aren't working?)

It has a number of modified parts -- scaled parts and I converted the airplane tail into a fuel tank. Now I just wish I'd thought to put some sensors on it . . .

Edited by Markarian421

• 1 month later...

I landed at the bottom of this once, It all had normal gravity, No anomalous forces, It was sloped just where a kerbal could climb it. But as soon as I got 50 meters above the probe my kerbal fell back down.

• 4 weeks later...