Kerbal Pizza Delivery tryouts

Wut 6 engines, i'm currently working on a 3 engine for both challenges. But you can't take-off and deliver more because of your parachutes

Edited by asdier

That thing is nuts if i try more engines on a plane it flips out of control.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about, this is just me repeating something I read out of a guide which seems to work.

The trick is to keep your center of lift slightly behind your center of mass. That, and flying with sensitive controls (Capslock).

Alternative modded, 7:49.

Delivered..and then it goes straight into the Blendtec total blender for the fastest digestion.

pizzadrop1takeoff.png

pizzadrop2chutepizza.png

Free KSPX HECS probe with every order! Cover eyes and face until other flying decouplers have rolled to a stop or exploded.

pizzadrop3pizzalandedde.png

pizzadrop4landedatksc.png

Max speed ~184 m/s, this thing is extremely twitchy and manueverable but can yaw very well instead of roll and take off at very low speed.

Stock, 4:31.

"Tataffe's pizza delivery 2" uses a docking port to prevent the pizza from exploding when delivered.

jXQp6qm.jpg

Going transsonic to make sure the pizza is warm when delivered.

EjFpwn9.jpg

Dropping the payload at the island.

sFz3g9N.jpg

Takeoff for return to the KPC.

oOPIwFf.jpg

Holding off for one of the smoothest landings I ever performed.

zmTB9lq.jpg

Standstill @ 4:31.

2XQwYoS.jpg

Stock, 4:31.

Going transsonic to make sure the pizza is warm when delivered.

Congratulations on that and the pictures of atmospheric effects, it makes me want to try again. With TT's huge mk4 turbofan.

Wow, impressive!

Ive been trying hours and cant beat you guys.

Awesome pictures!!

Darren9 and localsol, I like your alternative plane designs! ;)

Also, Tataffe please copy a link to your .craft file please id like to use that plane :sticktongue:

Ninety-Three, did you get that 6 engine plane working?

Ninety-Three, did you get that 6 engine plane working?

I have a six engine plane (one fuel tank, two fuselages, three wheels, no extra weight) which parachutes safely and is theoretically flyable, but you have to fight the controls every step of the way. I made it to the KSC2, but I'm fed up with the thing, so it's shelved.

The new project involves Mainsails.

I made a 4:09 with two giant engines, it can just about get supersonic before lifting off. There's hardly enough room to turn the corners between the runways. Also the wheels allow a quick 180* while stationary on the dirt runway to fly back.

screenshot31x.png

screenshot32u.png

screenshot33qt.png

I made a 4:09 with two giant engines, [...] Also the wheels allow a quick 180* while stationary on the dirt runway to fly back.

Cool, I was hoping for something like that. Gave up for now due to the pizza causing big changes in center of lift in certain situations.

So. This was my first stable totally original plane. It is entirely stock. I didn't have to use SAS at all. Off the whole flight. And though my delivery was more akin to a bombing run it was amazing and I feel good about this so I'm going to post it.

I took this cause I didn't read if it needed a takeoff shot first and figured may as well.

screenshot12.png

You can see the pizza about to settle softly into the runway at about 200 m/s...

screenshot13.png

So here is me landed which I'm so extremely excited about.

screenshot14.png

And stats for giggles... As you can see the pizza made contact with the runway. We can't know for sure if it survived... It may have been a very sturdy pizza... Crashed is a strong word...

screenshot15.png

All under 1000 meters... So I avoided their radar too... They never saw that pizza coming.

Edited by rabidrabbit

4:01 with MechJeb (I don't like the way avionics and ASAS handle)

Pre-Launch

cBuzyazl.jpg

Delivery Confirmed

XgrO6qPl.jpg

Looks so awsome in flight =D

bJrj1Ksl.jpg

Mission Accomplished (and nothing broke)

4LDQUGb.jpg

Made this one full size so you can see the time

I think I recorded this, let me know if you guys want me to post that.

Edit - Just saw that we can't use mechjeb... I'll take another stab at this later today.

Edited by edveen
Missed a rule

Now that the other landing pizza planes are too fast for the one and only pizzapop by ASDIER Corp. Are they concentrating themselves on the pizza drop ship. With their most recent try they managed to set a new speed record of 5:55. Here is the are some spiffing pictures of the beauty of the majestic Pizza pop 2 alternative flight Nr. 2. http://imgur.com/a/Opf2U

Edited by asdier

5CNHU0fl.jpg

cal9ynyl.jpg

ktJlZBcl.jpg

j8IeNoFl.jpg

s9Tjv4nl.jpg

u59MukMl.jpg

3:28, same plane as before (stock, no mechjeb)

in one attempt I actually broke two engines (left and center) by landing way too hard on the gravel runway, and still made it back by around 3:45 with just the rightmost engine

Dammit zarakon! I had you beat by one second! Then you go and do this! I'll have to try again... maybe with a new design though. If I make no mistakes maybe I can shave 10-20 seconds with my current plane, but I don't think I'm good enough for that... especially without mechjeb.

Btw, how do you fly planes with one wing? If I don't make mine bi-plane style then I can't control it.

Edited by edveen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.