The MachingBird Challenge!

To fill up the intakes all the way, roll down the runway slowly (most my planes go about .5 to 1 m/s down the runway if I don't touch anything -- all that matters is that you're going "straight"), then hit '.' to do some physics warp. That will double the air in the tanks. Warp faster and faster until they are full (typically just once is good enough), then close them, turn off warp, and go back to your regularly scheduled liftoff.

To fill up the intakes all the way, roll down the runway slowly (most my planes go about .5 to 1 m/s down the runway if I don't touch anything -- all that matters is that you're going "straight"), then hit '.' to do some physics warp. That will double the air in the tanks. Warp faster and faster until they are full (typically just once is good enough), then close them, turn off warp, and go back to your regularly scheduled liftoff.

ahhh thanks!

i learn something new every day! and not neccessarily from school! :)

Turn off the flameout prevention when you're starved of air -- it's far too pessimistic nowadays. How flameout works has changed since I wrote the flameout prevention code.

The intake management works fine still, and it needs flameout prevention to be on -- but once mechjeb starts to throttle back you should switch it off and throttle back up.

Edited by numerobis

nice try thoug, Nicky!

Just wondering, buit those intakes on the sides, those are clipped in ways that should be impossible without F12, no? :wink:

no. its just a cubic strut sticking strait out, and another forward-facing cubic strut, and then the shock cone intake.

i can provide pictures if you like. but its just like you would stack ram intakes, except with an extra cube strut (which is useless, im just too lazy to take it out :P:))

just got to a (for me) record periaps of almost 450km :)! then i ran out of power for my reaction wheel >.< never forget the RTGs :P

i did bottle up 10 intake air, but even while pointing strait down only managed 2363 m/s. gotta get MOAR SCOOPS! :)

although next time i will ditch them after burning.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Um, guys... this challenge isn't running any more... it has been said by a mod previously that anyone wanting to do it should re-make or try one of the maintained ones with different rules...

I like that there seem to be a hardcore couple of people pressing on regardless, though! :D

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

Um, guys... this challenge isn't running any more... it has been said by a mod previously that anyone wanting to do it should re-make or try one of the maintained ones with different rules...

I like that there seem to be a hardcore couple of people pressing on regardless, though! :D

well, i dont really care if i can get on the leaderboard or not.

if you know an exsisting maintained machingbird challenge, then please link me to it! :)

hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg......

just spent 2 hours of flying a plane only to discover that the panels didnt work...

(but i forgot to ditch the oxidizer in the FTL-100 so i would have to refly anyway)

That is the single most frustrating thing about KSP, isn't it? That you've been working on something for 3-4 hours just have it fail on the launchpad, or worse, landing on Laythe without success 10 times in a row, meaning your design is flawed in my case yesterday...

That is the single most frustrating thing about KSP, isn't it? That you've been working on something for 3-4 hours just have it fail on the launchpad, or worse, landing on Laythe without success 10 times in a row, meaning your design is flawed in my case yesterday...

Imagine how it feels when your spacecraft flies for 2 years after several years of planning, then you discover the bump sensors on the landing legs are too sensitive.

Imagine how it feels when your spacecraft flies for 2 years after several years of planning, then you discover the bump sensors on the landing legs are too sensitive.

now that sucks to levels i cannot even begin to comprehend... :0.0:

but, i got a new plane! lets hope my computer doesnt die from 418 parts... :)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

so, i built a good plane, got it to 2373 m/s before dropping the outer tanks, only to eject my SAS modules by accident, because i forgot to add a way to decouple my droptanks.

*sigh* time for another 3 hours of watching the altimeter, engine, computer temperature, orientation......

but thats for tomorrow.

anyway, since it was still sort of fast even without proper droptanks, heres an album:

As always, Nicky: nice designwork! In regards to the accident: use F5 and F9 sometime, that way you could correct your error and try again without having to fly back up all the way there.

Nice speed though, wasn't your previous record the exact same speed?

EDIT: nope, you were 2m/s short for that...

Edited by hoioh

As always, Nicky: nice designwork! In regards to the accident: use F5 and F9 sometime, that way you could correct your error and try again without having to fly back up all the way there.

Nice speed though, wasn't your previous record the exact same speed?

EDIT: nope, you were 2m/s short for that...

thanks. :)

i didnt use F5/F9 on the 2373 m/s run because the issue was in the design.

for my new 2375 m/s run, i *did* quicksave before ditching SAS... but i am sick of maching for now, i spent hours and hours and hours and now its sunday night :(