The MachingBird Challenge!

At high altitude the system tries to balance the incoming air against maximum power output, the result is that one engine is firing much more effectively as the other for max output.

If you want to prevent this get the 'Kerbal Flight Data' mod, it shows your intake levels so you can balance your throttle against the incoming air and balance the engines by throttling down at the right time to prevent spinning. I know of no other mods that show the level of intake air against thrust in a more clear way.

for some reason one of my engines is getting more air then the others whilst i made eveything semetrical why is this?

the only way to prevent "asymmetrical flameout" is to have the engines in front of one another, but that only works if they're far enough apart that the exhast isnt blocked.

personally i prefer just using a single engine, and if i need more thrust i use more engines that i ditch as i get close to flameout.

Edited by nicky4096
typo

With this one it's actualy not that hard to balance the exhaust, because you have an engine in the center. Just map the outer two engines to any key so you can turn them off once you're up high enough.

What's with the two backwards facing intakes though?

nice ship man, but like hoioh said, dont put the intakes backwards.

the reason is that they get more air the closer they are pointing to prograde. so a backward intake adds drag without giving you all the air you could get.

also, if you do another run, try using less fuel and droptanks, decouple the outer engines once at altitude (that saves you an entire 2.4 tons!), and once your at like 30km try ditching the wings, they do nothing at that point.

but a nice design anyway :)

I needed the plane to get as mutch speed as possible (DUH) so i figerd i do that with getting as little drag ass ossible there for making the plane able to fly at 50 km heights meaning every bit of air intace is gifted but i get your oint and will try again another time withouth backwards intakes also the plane seems to be a raid climber and not realy well at staying leveld so i thought this would have been the easiest aproach im pretty sure a beter pilot could get this thing way WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster

If you're having balance issue: add SAS rings, the more the merrier. Ofcourse keeping in mind that you don't want to weigh it down any more than you have to, so enough it enough. Normally about 2 of the smaller rings balanced around the center of mass should do it.

well, i looked at the plane and saw several things you could improve without too much effort:

modular girders are heavy. try cubic struts instead, they're massless

also note that at the altitude i go at, extra mass is a lot worse than extra drag.

one more thing, the wing strakes have the best lift rating / drag ratio

and also, at any speed above 630 m/s the structural intakes have cause more drag per intake area than the XM-G50 radial intake. so try those, or just rams (they have the best air intake / mass ratio, the shock cone has more intake area but has more weight.

its a cool design though, and im not saying you HAVE to do my suggestions, just trying to be helpful :)

well, i looked at the plane and saw several things you could improve without too much effort:

modular girders are heavy. try cubic struts instead, they're massless

also note that at the altitude i go at, extra mass is a lot worse than extra drag.

one more thing, the wing strakes have the best lift rating / drag ratio

and also, at any speed above 630 m/s the structural intakes have cause more drag per intake area than the XM-G50 radial intake. so try those, or just rams (they have the best air intake / mass ratio, the shock cone has more intake area but has more weight.

its a cool design though, and im not saying you HAVE to do my suggestions, just trying to be helpful :)

Will try this tnx could you explain though what you mean by cubic struts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Is this still going? And is TweakScale allowed?

On 19/12/2014 at 3:57 PM, numerobis said:

Now that there's a new challenge, maybe a mod should lock this one (unless the second coming of TheHengeProphet).

If you are interested maybe check a bit more if there is nothing similar going on and then start a new challenge yourself.