Sun Escape Challenge! - demo only

Ok so having landed on the mun i started playing around to see how far away from the sun i could get with the capsule. Not even sure if this is possible but using demo parts only (i.e. the demo) see if we can achieve a "sun escape" trajectory.

Best effort so far 167.6 million km. Which in the real solar system is a bit further out than Earth.

Post your efforts in here.

photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93755067@N08/8704838433/

Challenge updated (as it was far to easy!) to "Sun escape with fewest parts"

Edited by EventHorizon

Sun escape is not particularly difficult, even with "just demo parts".

You might want to alter this challenge to something like "Sun Escape with Lowest parts" or "Least fuel". :)

Well done giggle. You can see im total noob at this. Yeah good idea box. Lets change it to "Sun escape with fewest parts"

btw how do i embed pictures on here?

You can go to Forum's Settings -> General settings -> and change the "Message Editor Interface" to Standard Editor (don't forget to click "Save Changes"!). When you post, click on the little picture box in the editor and paste the URL of your picture.

Here's my entry, not really meant for the challenge but the serial staging testbed did get a pretty high apoapsis of 371MK up.

How are people escaping the sun at 4.5Km/s while my ship can't escape at 12.3Km/s?

Craft File http://www./?14teyppc2wilyz2

The I-1 on Launchpad

8705236125_8dd725579f.jpg

2013-05-03_00005 by Nalin_Airheart, on Flickr

Nearing the last stage

8705236207_e49b86e6c9.jpg

2013-05-03_00006 by Nalin_Airheart, on Flickr

Fastest Speed

8705308613_277b9127b7.jpg

2013-05-03_00012 by Nalin_Airheart, on Flickr

Apoapsis

8706358152_e7c20a5f41.jpg

2013-05-03_00013 by Nalin_Airheart, on Flickr

Flight Data

8705236387_e9e2c6f326.jpg

2013-05-03_00014 by Nalin_Airheart, on Flickr

Edited by Nalin_Airheart

Here's my entry, not really meant for the challenge but the serial staging testbed did get a pretty high apoapsis of 371MK up.

How are people escaping the sun at 4.5Km/s while my ship can't escape at 12.3Km/s?

Your speed is relative to the Sun, while my speed is relative to Kerbin.

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure that a dotted line counts?. Successful attempts must have that funny marker that says xxxx escape.

Isn't solid blue line where you are going at the moment? So your actual trajectory? Not a fictional one.

Edit: ive actualy done it. You dont get a sun escape marker so forget that, but you do get a solid blue line. So i dont think yours is valid francesco tbh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93755067@N08/8745081014/in/photostream/lightbox/

how do i embed an image on here?

Also giggle yours is in orange so thats another fail. (isnt it?)

Edited by EventHorizon

No, it isn't. It just means that he hasn't left the Kerbin sphere of influence yet. As you can see on the screenshot, he took it only 14 minutes after launch. A bit of time acceleration, and the orange line would turn blue.

Heh, well I won't be winning any awards for least parts or least fuel -- but I did manage to put a very, very large (and cool looking) probe into a solar escape trajectory.

Stage 1: 4x Mainsail + Orange Fuel Tank (Boost)

Stage 2: Mainsail + 2x Orange Fuel Tank (Boost)

Stage 3: LV-N Atomic Rocket Engine + FL-T800 (Injection stage)

Probe: 5x Ion Thrusters, 8x Xenon Gas Tanks, 4x Z-400 Batteries, 4x Thermoisotopic Generators, 8x Gigantor XL Solar Panels + Advanced SAS + antennas and instruments and junk

star_goer_ia_booster_by_phaedrus2401-d65h53y.png

And holy crap a lot of struts. I had major wobble and stability issues at launch. I probably went overkill a little, but it didn't cost me too much delta-V.

Injection Stage:

star_goer_ia_by_phaedrus2401-d65h2z7.png

I followed the Voyager probe format, doing a slingshot around Jool, and getting very nice photos of Tylo, Vall, and especially Laythe as I went. Laythe screwed my orbit a bit, so I had to spend a lot of Xenon fuel to escape the Jool system; but I still ended up with enough left to escape the solar system.

star_goer_ia_8_by_phaedrus2401-d65h323.png

star_goer_ia_17_by_phaedrus2401-d65h313.png

star_goer_ia_31_by_phaedrus2401-d65h2zc.png

A last look back at home.

star_goer_ia_33_by_phaedrus2401-d65h53h.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.