Fuel to 100k kerbin orbit

The objective is simply to put as much Liquid fuel and oxidizer as possible into 100k Kerbin orbit with one launch. Because of computer performance issues part counts do matter. If I get more than 5 entrants I will break the score board down into classes based on part count.

Competition classes

Light-weight: < 100 parts

Middle weight: < 200 parts

Heavy weight: < 400 parts

Unlimited class: no part restrictions.

Ships Must have:

The ability to dock (or else fuel delivery is pointless)

Liquid Fuel

Oxidizer

Scoring:

Amount of Liquid fuel (as displayed by you resource panel) in orbit, times (1-the percent error in the apoapsis), times (1-the percent error in periapsis).

Secondary scoring:

Fuel efficient design:

Not sure how to score this one. I was thinking fuel in orbit divide by total weight at launch.

LEADER BOARD

STOCK (Mech Jeb, Kerbal Engineer, or other information and auto pilot mods allowed)

1. Blue, 3236 points

Mod (I will post them, if you claim them, but please try to stay away from "cheat" mods)

edited: for clarity.

Edited by Sathurn

Not sure if I'm reading it right but say I get a 105/95 orbit with 50tons of fuel.

50*.05*.05 = 0.125

101/99

50*.01*.01 = 0.005

Or maybe 50*1.05*.95 = 50

Or even a 1000/1000 orbit.

50*10*10 = 5000

Edited by Nalin_Airheart

Only fuel or oxidiser, too? Makes quite a diffrence.

And I agree with Nalin_Airheart, the match you want to use seems unclear.

Edit: Also, mind the sticks in this forum...

Edited by Atanar

Sorry for being unclear.

The score is for the Liquid fuel (but you still have to have the oxidizer).

As for the math

50 tons

105 apoapsis is 5% error

95 periapsis is 5% error

So:

50 *.95*.95=45.125

Which I realize is not quite the formula above, but it is what I intended.

the amount of fuel was to be in fuel units. as displayed by your resource list.

This challenge needs guidelines. As it is it appears to be only limited to part count our computer can handle. What's to stop someone from just launching massive 1500 part ships that take 2 hours to get to orbit? Or bigger.. Is that the point??

Bigger is better and that was sort of the point of this challenge, but balance is also needed.

The obvious solution is to have divisions, light part count/heavy part count/unlimited. Any other problems with my challenge before I update the first post?

I`ve seen some crafts in the spaceship exchange can put 12 orange tanks up, I think it had like 1500 parts :)

I also recall a thread in challenges from before the purge where the competition was getting one 2880 orange tank and one 750 rcs tank to orbit, with the least fuel on the pad. As I recall the best was something like 9800 fuel on the pad.

As for me, my rather unimpressive fuel delivery vehicle, although reliable, needs 9 orange tanks (9x2880) to put a modest 4000l of fuel up, along with a 750 rcs tank

It is 438kmu (kerbal mass units) on the pad, with 120 parts.

I do that just now (for another challenge)

I do get in stable 100km orbit with 152.5 fuel and 39 of oxidizer ((201-48.50 111-71.09)) on the THIRD orbit run of my latest 2 people SSTO.

here the album

Beside that craft is modded B9 Cabin and wings, engines and fuel tanks are stock.

The efficiency ratio is of 92.103% (weight in orbit/weight ground*100)

edit: wrong thread

OPPPPPPPPPS

sorry

Edited by pinolallo

L79ctBl.png

Orbit: 100,055m AP, 99,935m

Exactly 55 tons of fuel with plenty of monopropellant to spare, ready to rendezvous.

365.35 tons on the ground.

Nothing fancy. I call it just the Lily-class Fuel Tug and it flies by a rocket family I call Clover. She was designed to refuel a large Jool spacecraft which was launched with 4 dry orange tanks. Unfortunately the mission didn't really pan out, but the Clover has proven since to be a very stable and reliable heavy launcher.

X5s67IN.png

The outboards have asparagus staging and with locked gimbals. It gets the entire upper payload to about 100km circularized. The only drawbacks are that it's incompatible with MechJeb because the autopilot makes fatal errors trying to correct when it does staging, and the inboard engine can't run at full thrust for risk of overheating against the tank. The middle stage usually is left with 100 units or thereabouts of fuel too unwieldy for use, since the middle does not have RCS thrusters. It's wasted with the debris, most often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.