Jet on a Carrier-plane

Audiopulse

Ahoi,

I had some fun with C7 Flight-pack today. I tried to make a Jet carried by a Carrier-plane whereby the Jet stays under my control after being separated from the Carrier. Its a little messy in its construction (Booster between planes, different decouplers, starting Jeb-style deluxe etc) but at least it works and I think i might keep improving that thing. Maybe I can strap the Carrierplane on another Carrier Plane...?

Anyways - this is Version 0.1 ;)

Pictures - be warned, theyre a bit big...

2qi9qop.jpg

Flying the Carrier with the Jet on can be tricky - after separation the Carrier does surprisingly well on its own, though. Often enough I cant even keep up with that thing.

Jeb loves starting this thing. The very second the Launchpad shows up on your screen you need to start AND press down. If youre too slow the Carrier will fall over or crash in the ground.

Ill try to fix that somehow to make a relaxed start possible, but for now im having fun starting this way :D

ztyqzc.jpg

Wait till your upside-down plane ascends a little and roll over - be cautions though - if youre to harsh the Carrier might start to tremble...

15isdu.jpg

Starting from the Carrier works fine with the Booster inbetween. In previous Versions the Jet carried the Boosters on its back and hat only one Decoupler underneath. That way the Jet kept exploding, though.

Pull your Nose up immediatly after releasing the decouplers.

bj69ft.jpg

msllyt.jpg

286ryf.png

f1zbyr.jpg

Coming back home to fling another Plane :)

143iao8.jpg

Oh - i forgot: Right now youd need C7 Flight-pack, the Tuned SAS\', Siliskos Doughnut-Research & Spacecraftdevelopment to run the Plane. Ill try to reduce the required parts to Vanilla and C7 for easier installation.

(I know veterans will hardly bother as you got most of the major addons - Im doing this for newbs like myself ;) )

Thanks - well. Trying to counter the Jets weight with Drag didnt quite work. Ive tried with wings last night, which have more drag than most other parts. I even thougt about attaching a Chute and open it after start, but ... well. Even Jeb called it suicide :D

I put some Wheels on anyways. I wanted to see if I really could land that thing. See for yourself:

Large Pics inside:

2whl9gm.png

zn5378.png

2wptjjn.png

The last one looks like I actually made it - I exploded right after taking this screenshot

I also tried to strap a bigger booster inbetween the planes to stabilize flight and have some more distance between Jet and plane. Well. Apparently the whole thing really does fly a lot smoother - but starting is more difficult (Always lost the Carriers Engine) and every third Separation ends with explosions and Fireballs. I think ill keep working on that, though :)

I made a parachute that saves the extra weight of a decoupler. At 100m it auto decouples... by force...

It excerts over double the force of the vanilla parachute and causes things to... fall off...

That sounds cool. Have you posted it on the forum yet?

Not yet. I may do after my LSRB* is finished. The last flight ripped the chute off just after it opened, but by then it had slowed down enough to NOT KILL THEM!!!

*LSRB-Liquid-Solid Rocket Booster: It has an ideal tank that you should use or

A) You will not get maximum use out of it

B) It will explode

It does not lose heat and you cannot turn it off!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.