[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

I'm hoping to bring a new optional level of authenticity with my next munbug with an optional autopilot program for k-OS http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47399-kOS-Scriptable-Autopilot-System-0-9

I've been updating my Mercury Redstone and will be releasing it soon with an optional guidance program... for the first time I can now have the correct automated firing sequence on my posigrade and retrograde rockets. This opens up a lot of potential to recreate the various programs used in Apollo.

Here is my new Mercury Redstone running on full autopilot (except for a few minutes when the pilot is given RCS control after capsule separation)....

Key events are at these times...

0:00

3:50

5:30

6:00

10:50

Edited by Mulbin

I'm hoping to bring a new optional level of authenticity with my next munbug with an optional autopilot program for k-OS http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47399-kOS-Scriptable-Autopilot-System-0-9

I've been updating my Mercury Redstone and will be releasing it soon with an optional guidance program... for the first time I can now have the correct automated firing sequence on my posigrade and retrograde rockets. This opens up a lot of potential to recreate the various programs used in Apollo.

Here is my new Mercury Redstone running on full autopilot (except for a few minutes when the pilot is given RCS control after capsule separation)....

Key events are at these times...

0:00

3:50

5:30

6:00

10:50

That is sweet. I love the venting before launch. Really looks good.

I think I shall have to write at least a launch program. As you say, getting all the little automatic bit to fire without getting the user to press space all the time or remember Action Groups and so forth will be great.

what is the Apollo 12 picture of?

If I am not mistaken Apollo 12 made it to the min but it was hit by lightning twice during ascent, they thought about aborting but everything checked out so they went to the moon anyway

• 2 weeks later...

This is a duplicate from my ship yard thread... but thought I'd put it here too as more people see this thread :)

Progress update...

Things have slowed down a little, partly due to being busy and partly waiting for .23 before getting to into my designs.

I haven't completely stopped however... I'm just in the final testing stage for my new improved Mercury Atlas (pics below), after this I plan a complete rebuild of my Gemini Titan and Atlas Agena for my project Jebini thread. Once the new Titan and Agena are made they will lead on nicely to maybe make a few more launches for my space race thread (Thor Agena is next in the timeline... and Titan 1 not long after).

I am also in the final stages of refining my Soyuz, which I hope to get out before Christmas.

So coming releases should be in this order - Mercury Atlas, Soyuz, Gemini, Atlas Agena, Thor Agena....

I am still flying Munbug XI with very little in the way of tweaks to the design so wont need to update for a little while.

7cjr.jpg

bfxr.jpg

Love your launching tower. As with the one in the video it looks as though it has a purpose.

It has 2... it feeds some fuel into the rocket to allow you to ignite the engines 4 seconds before launch without wasting too much, and it has a ladder/gantry system to allow kerbals to climb from the ground to the pod :)

Hello Mulbin,

I have made a "Munbug Mini" !

That's almost identical to my own saturn 1b... I should put a link up for mine on the forum!

That is probably the best replication of the moon/apollo craft I have seen, I am loving your ships, just incredible!!

Thanks! It's taken a lot of development.

So Mulbin, what are your thoughts on tweakables with regard to vehicle design? I'm excited because it basically creates a whole new set of structural parts out of the existing fuel tanks, since they can be set as empty.

i've started to check out myself, and there's something veeery interesting for making soyuz style retrorocket landings :) not only we can set the thrust limiter on the separatrons, but we can also change the quantity of solid fuel inside (like on the fuel tanks :) - so if you need to 'only' brake from a 12m/s landing, you should be able to set an array of separatrons to do just that :)

So Mulbin, what are your thoughts on tweakables with regard to vehicle design? I'm excited because it basically creates a whole new set of structural parts out of the existing fuel tanks, since they can be set as empty.

I'll certainly be using the new features for Munbug XII... spending a short break in career mode along with mission controller but will be back to development soon. tweakable thrust is going to open up some options as well.

i've started to check out myself, and there's something veeery interesting for making soyuz style retrorocket landings :) not only we can set the thrust limiter on the separatrons, but we can also change the quantity of solid fuel inside (like on the fuel tanks :) - so if you need to 'only' brake from a 12m/s landing, you should be able to set an array of separatrons to do just that :)

The level of control is amazing now. Munbug XII will use a lot of these new features... early center engine cuttoff, controlled separation rockets etc...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/62371-Manned-Eve-Flyby-with-the-Munbug-XI-Apollo-Applications-Program

I used your rocket for a manned eve flyby without the LM. Cuurently working on an Apollo Mun Base.

Great work! I'm amazed how much DV this rocket has when you drop the weight of the lander!

amazing job and i love u

Thanks!... the work pays off when I know people enjoy my craft files. So... much...more... work... to...do...

I have noticed a design flaw withe your lander: 1 CoT does not go through the CoM. 2 the head on the lander is wobbly relative to the base(needs more struts).

I have no problems landing it, CoT doesn't need to go through CoM if you have sufficient Torque.... if you stick to lining them up you will only get boring looking space craft.

I'll have a look at the lander struts... might have come apart during editing.

I tried to use your infinite wisdom to build an Apollo Style rocket for my self. It was called: The Schicksal/SkyLord Vb. Schicksal means "Destiny/Fate" in German. SkyLord is a play on Operation OverLord, the code name for the Battle of Normandy. V is for the five engines, just like the Saturn V. b is for the fact that it is the second rebuild, with the first one even less successful. The Schicksal/SkyLord Vb has problems. 'Bout as many of 'em as .... um.... somethin' with a lot of problems.

vkOakx7.png

4EtnHaD.png

At least it didn't all blow up...

Edited by TheTsar52

So... I tried it out with 5 skippers in the second stage, and it worked! Don't know why you need the mainsail

And one little thing: what is about that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFS-2

Edited by Nephf