Light Speed Challenge

I\'m not sure about my screenshot but in my video the engine has 2000 thrust so it should be like getting hit by a standard massed rocket with 2000 thrust that\'s been traveling as long and in the same direction as the cheat rocket has. The cheat rocket was quite a bit tougher than normal though so it may have less give than a standard rocket.

Stupiditykills, you must explain how you managed such a ridiculous speed. For Science.

Does that mean that if it hits me at that speed it would feel like a pillow because of so little inertia?

Nope, you\'d have a nice capsule-sized hole through your torso. It\'s the reason a small fast bullet will go straight through you, but a slow heavy round won\'t. While the smaller round might have less inertia, it has much more kinetic energy since Ke is .5*Mass*Velocity^2, but momentum is only Mass*Acceleration. Inertia is how hard it is to change an objects momentum, but if the object is moving very fast it will pass through you before it\'s momentum changes very much, even if it doesn\'t have much momentum to begin with.

tl;dr: Nope.

So my ship went on a diet. Weights are...1/400th of the original weights I think. Breaking strength is OVER 9000 (i.e. 9001), and crash strength is 900. Tank holds 5000 fuel and the engine puts out 2000 thrust and burns .001 fuel/sec. I had some fun just flying this everywhere and one thing I noticed in my attempts to wreck this thing (so far it\'s impossible) is that Kerth is elastic. I hit the ground at 5Mm/s, and left at 5Mm/s. Here\'s a bunch of screencaps and the modded parts I used.

Immediately before impact:

MIkf0.jpg

Immediately after impact:

VsBK8.png

Before ya think I posted my images backwards, check the times 8)

n075h.png

Gee load was 34469873.7 G

So I did it again from a bit higher of a runup, and registered 45507185.2 G. I lined myself up for a second shot off of the rebound and when I hit...Boy oh boy did our Kerbonauts turn into Kerbo-Goo, registering a mind boggling 347074798.7 Gees of acceleration.

edgLD.png

Back on topic, anyone notice their ships getting horribly unstable at ~100 Mm/s (.33C)? Even with a cranked up SAS I still bounce around and then just start randomly spinning. No inputs at all but my ship\'s outta control.

Ummm anyone for sure what light speed actually is at the moment? Bc of the guys ar CERN isn\'t it kinda up in the air? lol

Light speed hasn\'t changed. If it had, it would have been detected.

What the OPERA team detected was apparent superluminal neutrinos, and it appears* it was just caused by an overlooked relativistic parametre in the clock synchronization process.

*So far the best candidate for an explanation for the anomalous measurements.

I\'m not sure about my screenshot but in my video the engine has 2000 thrust so it should be like getting hit by a standard massed rocket with 2000 thrust that\'s been traveling as long and in the same direction as the cheat rocket has. The cheat rocket was quite a bit tougher than normal though so it may have less give than a standard rocket.

Stupiditykills, you must explain how you managed such a ridiculous speed. For Science.

I warped into the atmosphere 8)

Guest Flixxbeatz

So my ship went on a diet. Weights are...1/400th of the original weights I think. Breaking strength is OVER 9000 (i.e. 9001), and crash strength is 900. Tank holds 5000 fuel and the engine puts out 2000 thrust and burns .001 fuel/sec. I had some fun just flying this everywhere and one thing I noticed in my attempts to wreck this thing (so far it\'s impossible) is that Kerth is elastic. I hit the ground at 5Mm/s, and left at 5Mm/s. Here\'s a bunch of screencaps and the modded parts I used.

Immediately before impact:

MIkf0.jpg

Immediately after impact:

VsBK8.png

Before ya think I posted my images backwards, check the times 8)

n075h.png

Gee load was 34469873.7 G

So I did it again from a bit higher of a runup, and registered 45507185.2 G. I lined myself up for a second shot off of the rebound and when I hit...Boy oh boy did our Kerbonauts turn into Kerbo-Goo, registering a mind boggling 347074798.7 Gees of acceleration.

edgLD.png

Back on topic, anyone notice their ships getting horribly unstable at ~100 Mm/s (.33C)? Even with a cranked up SAS I still bounce around and then just start randomly spinning. No inputs at all but my ship\'s outta control.

So you technically... transformed the rocket into some sort of rubberized ball? lol :D

I think I win.

At 61,531,712.6 times the speed of light, I do too.

ninjaedit2: He was 5000000000000000000 metres from Kerbin... (Assuming it was JUST 5 Em from it, if not, 50000000000000000000000 metres)

edit3: Provided my calculations are correct, he would be 8819849175934151250000000 metres away at his current velocity and time...

edit4: forfun conversions: 932.3 million light years, 285.8318455 megaparsecs, and 8.82×10^21 kilometers

edit: for those too lazy to look at his image: index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2840.0;attach=4047;image

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.