Chang'e 3 (Chinese lunar lander, late 2013)

Kryten

Those are very cool pictures, thanks! Anybody knows how the lander will be lowered? A ramp, I imagine? Anyhow, good luck to them. In space, the more the merrier.

Rune. Now to wait for someone to kerbalize it.

Google automatic translation from article:

"Chang'e III of this original "lady" we imagined, looks more like a majestic, wearing a "Full Metal Jacket Cloth general. It turned out that in order to be able to more realistically simulate the space environment, technicians wear for her an "armor" - this "armor" woven by more than 3,000 off-chip heat, as well as in the high-, low-temperature multi-layer components. Chang'e III will wear this body armor in vacuum thermal simulation to be more than 40 days will be accepted during the rainbow night so the test of baked high temperature and low temperature cold. "

("accepted during the rainbow night")

Edited by Latcarf

Those are the tiniest little landing feet I have ever seen.

Probably has a lot to do with the landing site selection. They aren't taking any chances, so it's effectively flat; no slopes greater than 7°.

I guess Irl there are certain designs that work well universally

I mean, it's big for a relatively light rover like that.

The Lunokhod descent stage was way smaller, and that was the 70s:

Lunokhod-mission.jpg

I suspect that it has a big growth potential...

Edited by thorfinn

Those are very cool pictures, thanks! Anybody knows how the lander will be lowered? A ramp, I imagine? Anyhow, good luck to them. In space, the more the merrier.

(at about 0.37) it's on a sort of lift that'll lower it down. Looks like it too high for a conventional ramp to be compact enough.
I mean, it's big for a relatively light lander like that.

The 'descent stage' IS the main lander, the rover is just another bit of payload.

I found this video and it partly shows how the ramp works.

It's a little more like a forklift than a ramp and apparently there is a sample return planed for it later by a follow up craft.

lQXHsY8.jpg

4dM2g8C.jpg

Edited by Tommygun

It's gonna hover at several meters above the surface, then cut off all thrust and free fall.

I feel very offended by this even though I'm not a girl. Please mind it.

EDIT: Not sure if Kryten is Chinese? But anyway, I'm willing to answer questions because I can get direct sources written in Chinese :)

Edited by Michael Kim

土地銷æµÂå‹•ç«™!

Translation: Land the rover on pins!

If you really want to use Chinese, the correct translation is "é™Âè½在针上"…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.