Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

So the nuclear lightbulb is far more achievable, interesting..

That is because it uses a nuclear reaction that is merely hot enough to vaporize any reactor, instead of a nuclear reaction that is actually an explosion.

I have some notes here

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Nuclear_Thermal--Gas_Core--Closed_Cycle

but if you want your data piled high and dry, download this five meg PDF.

http://ubuntuone.com/0f2lfi6amiMOcHiusFE0ss

Meanwhile on the mod front, I am still trying to figure out how to make Action Groups work.

So far the exploding interpenetrating parts have defied solution.

One thing who would be nice would be an huge hangar, think the width of the entire orion base and between half to full height of the magazine rack. This would make it easier to dock multiple large craft without have to make something who looked extremely ugly. Perfect with an sliding beam, either for making docking of an flat lander easier or to use KAS and put down and retrieve large rovers.

After docking just slide it inn and close the doors.

This thing is awesome. I was talking to a few people and somebody mention a explosive engine and I just said "Lead me to it". The is the most kerbal engine possible. :D
It can get even more Kerbal. Look up "Nuclear Saltwater Rocket" :)

I know that it would be really difficult to estimate, due to various factors, but do we have any idea what the actual Isp of the Orion is?

I saw some figures on a crude mark one, mod zero Orion having a pulse unit Isp of around 1,900 seconds. However, it is more complicated than that, because you have to add in the mass expenditure of the ablative oil spray and the mass of the non-propellant part of the pulse unit.

Using a simplistic equation I cobbled together (equating the mass of the pulse units with propellant mass flow) I figure the 3.5 MN units have an Isp of about 2,500, the 0.88 MN have 1,165; the 80 MN have 7,000; and the 400 MN have a whopping 35,000. But I'm not sure if this is how the KSP physics engine models things.

WHOA WHOA HOLD UP!!! THAT.IS.MY.FLAG. you are now an enamy of the karran empire! D:<

lol jk :P but nice flag i have it to!

Uh no it's not. It's my flag. I made it myself in Illustrator.

TerranEmpireFlag.png

Anyways:

I docked up the crew and a lander. All I need to do now is dock the second lander and refuel the lander.

Kerbin's finest are aboard that shuttle. Bill, Jeb, Bob, and Ordun Kerman. Joemy and Bobble are new recruits who haven't made their mark yet.

screenshot935.png

Awaiting the other lander module. I have yet to decide who will go to Ike and who will go to Duna.

screenshot937.png

Just caught up with this after seeing Scott's Video. I'm a bit mind blown after reading 665 posts today.

I think this will save me the job of building another too damn large liquid fuel lifter to get my Station to Mun and Minmus.

Great job btw :)

Just caught up with this after seeing Scott's Video. I'm a bit mind blown after reading 665 posts today.

I think this will save me the job of building another too damn large liquid fuel lifter to get my Station to Mun and Minmus.

Great job btw :)

Thanks! Let us know how your station transporter works out.

@nyrath have you thought about doing other mods? There are so many interesting Engines on your site and i haven't seen things like Trimodal NTR's and many others as mods for KSP yet.

Yes, I have. I'm just frustrated at how stubborn the bugs are that remain in the Orion mod.

I also need to learn how to play KSP better. I'm still a novice, I have not been to the Mun yet with a non-Orion spacecraft. Making the mod sort of side-tracked me.

A trimodal NTR would be handy, solar cells can be so clunky sometimes.

Do the stock parts include heat radiators?

@nyrath have you thought about doing other mods? There are so many interesting Engines on your site and i haven't seen things like Trimodal NTR's and many others as mods for KSP yet.

Give the poor chap a chance, bet he's still getting over this mod ;)

Yes, I have. I'm just frustrated at how stubborn the bugs are that remain in the Orion mod.

I also need to learn how to play KSP better. I'm still a novice, I have not been to the Mun yet with a non-Orion spacecraft. Making the mod sort of side-tracked me.

A trimodal NTR would be handy, solar cells can be so clunky sometimes.

Do the stock parts include heat radiators?

No they don't but Heat management would be nice. Though there isn't really anything in the core game which would need them.

No they don't but Heat management would be nice. Though there isn't really anything in the core game which would need them.

Yes, but the point is, with mods, you will need heat radiators for nuclear power reactors in general, and Trimodal or Bimodal NTR in particular. Otherwise your reactor melts into radioactive lava.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.