Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

So what you're saying is that orion would be more effective underwater...

Ah, no. I do not think that compression waves provide much thrust.

But the point is that the pusher plate will not protect the Orion ship from being crushed like an egg.

In real life, I have no idea what happens in the Kerbal physics engine

Ah, no. I do not think that compression waves provide much thrust.

But the point is that the pusher plate will not protect the Orion ship from being crushed like an egg.

In real life, I have no idea what happens in the Kerbal physics engine

Considering that everything in KSP floats its hard to test that out :D

Nyrath, if you give nuclear bombs and a dispenser to the Kerbals, what do you expect? :sticktongue::wink:

And I've learned that giving a nuclear bomb rocket to KSP players is like giving a platinum Visa credit card to a drunken teenager. :wink: But in a good way.

However, I'm still waiting for people to use the shocking amounts of thrust the Orion offers in order to boost outrageously huge space stations and stuff into orbit. There has been a bit of that, but I'm sure more is possible.

AHowever, I'm still waiting for people to use the shocking amounts of thrust the Orion offers in order to boost outrageously huge space stations and stuff into orbit. There has been a bit of that, but I'm sure more is possible.
Were 8000 tons not enough? :D

Were 8000 tons not enough? :D

Yes, as I said "there has been a bit of that". Your have done more than your fair share of pushing the envelope, others should see what they can do in the realm of heavy lift.

I've been building some Science fiction-ish ships lately, and I decided to take a crack at a "more reasonable" Orion drive spacecraft in that same style.

eagdbLN.png?2

I haven't named it as of yet, and don't really plan to use it for anything, it's a slideshow even just sitting in space.

I has 3 6m long hangars for landers or spaceplanes with Large docking ports at either end, anything I loaded into them would come with some sort of sub docking gantry,

It also carries six greenhouse modules, to ease supply burden and to give its sixteen kerbals a relaxing green space to float in while not on duty.

Edited by Mecha Pants

I've been building some Science fiction-ish ships lately, and I decided to take a crack at a "more reasonable" Orion drive spacecraft in that same style.

I haven't named it as of yet, and don't really plan to use it for anything, it's a slideshow even just sitting in space.

I has 3 6m long hangars for landers or spaceplanes with Large docking ports at either end, anything I loaded into them would come with some sort of sub docking gantry,

It also carries six greenhouse modules, to ease supply burden and to give its sixteen kerbals a relaxing green space to float in while not on duty.

Yow! That is one serious spacecraft. Lookit all the hangar bays. I like it!

I did one to Eve, that was fun. Got a few screenshots of that lying about somewhere.

I'm running out of superlatives! That was wonderful! And yes, the re-entry shaders do look quite nice.

and Markarian421 turned in this tour de force:

https://plus.google.com/101042352076384750112/posts/QNNZP3Rys4Q

Landing on Eve was routine.

Lifting off was anything but.

Eve's dense atmosphere prevented the nose from pointing skyward. The ship almost flipped over and augured in. He had to panic start the liquid fuel engines and fight to get the nose up.

Edited by nyrath

And I've learned that giving a nuclear bomb rocket to KSP players is like giving a platinum Visa credit card to a drunken teenager. :wink: But in a good way.

However, I'm still waiting for people to use the shocking amounts of thrust the Orion offers in order to boost outrageously huge space stations and stuff into orbit. There has been a bit of that, but I'm sure more is possible.

plz plz give us nukes WWK and my "Karran Empire Program" could RLY use em.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.