Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

Ah, Canopus, people like you who do such awesome things with the Orion mod make it all worth while (for all the pain an misery I went through to make it).
It is a pleasure to test your mod and your work has really worth all the work you put into it :D

Btw who knows what i did here?

k6XGhhn.png

Edited by Canopus

So, I decided to take this to it's logical conclusion, and theorized about how the Soviet Union would deploy this system. Needless to say, the application of a little tactical nuclear assistance would have sped up the Mir project nicely.

screenshot146.jpgscreenshot147.jpgscreenshot148.jpgscreenshot149.jpgscreenshot151.jpg

I like to think this is the way Korolyov would have wanted it. Or he's rolling over in his grave. One or the other.

So, I decided to take this to it's logical conclusion, and theorized about how the Soviet Union would deploy this system. Needless to say, the application of a little tactical nuclear assistance would have sped up the Mir project nicely.

I like to think this is the way Korolyov would have wanted it. Or he's rolling over in his grave. One or the other.

Yes! Orion was born to boost ludicrously massive payloads into orbit in one trip.

I would imagine that the rolling state of Sergei would depend upon which nation possessed the Orion.

The other day I was playing around in Gimp with the KSP logo and came up with this.

Your mod may have had some influence on me.

That should be your flag nyrath!

Oh, great job! The flag says it all.

Yes! Orion was born to boost ludicrously massive payloads into orbit in one trip.

I would imagine that the rolling state of Sergei would depend upon which nation possessed the Orion.

I would imagine you could hook him up to a dynamo and get cheap energy for decades.

Anyway, just tried 0.15, and it seems to be working: the thing is still ridiculously powerful (yay!), the action groups action properly, and the pusher plate is nicely sinusoidal. I tried putting some stuff on it, and it indeed rises and falls with the plate, but it also moves inward on the upstroke and outward on the downstroke, which looks a little weird.

As long as you're working on the pusher plate, could you make the collision mesh around the banded part vertical?

This thing is so awesome.

Anyway, just tried 0.15, and it seems to be working: the thing is still ridiculously powerful (yay!), the action groups action properly, and the pusher plate is nicely sinusoidal. I tried putting some stuff on it, and it indeed rises and falls with the plate, but it also moves inward on the upstroke and outward on the downstroke, which looks a little weird.

As long as you're working on the pusher plate, could you make the collision mesh around the banded part vertical?

This thing is so awesome.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do about the collision mesh, and the contracting attached objects.

I love how the magazines used to bend and stretch in all directions and the thing often just flew away disregarding all physics.

Yeah, you loved it because you were not the poor guy stuck with the job of fixing said aphysical behavior. :D I had to use two questionable hacks to get them to settle down, and even now I'm not sure they are not lurking in the shadows, waiting.

Nice multi-Orion ship. So far I've seen three popular extreme uses of Orion:

1. Cluster several Orion engines
  2. Load up as many 400 MN magazines you can, boost into orbit, then crank up the throttle to max and leave it there until the tanks are dry
  3. Put wings on it

Edited by nyrath

Yeah, you loved it because you were not the poor guy stuck with the job of fixing said aphysical behavior. :D I had to use two questionable hacks to get them to settle down, and even now I'm not sure they are not lurking in the shadows, waiting.

Nice multi-Orion ship. So far I've seen three popular extreme uses of Orion:

1. Cluster several Orion engines
  2. Load up as many 400 MN magazines you can, boost into orbit, then crank up the throttle to max and leave it there until the tanks are dry
  3. Put wings on it

I wonder whether an Orion-powered submarine could be feasible? Never mind if it floats, the 400MN charges should sink anything!

I wonder whether an Orion-powered submarine could be feasible? Never mind if it floats, the 400MN charges should sink anything!
It wouldn't be feasible because it would have to move through a dense medium.

The compression wave in the water created by the nuclear detonation will instantly crush all the submarines in a wide radius like a soft-drink can under a steam roller.

Mk 101 Lulu nuclear depth charge (1958 until 1971)

11 kt warhead, while the 400 MN pulse charge is 15 kt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk-101_Lulu_NDB_(Nuclear_Depth_Bomb)

Edited by nyrath

The compression wave in the water created by the nuclear detonation will instantly crush all the submarines in a wide radius like a soft-drink can under a steam roller.

Mk 101 Lulu nuclear depth charge (1958 until 1971)

11 kt warhead, while the 400 MN pulse charge is 15 kt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk-101_Lulu_NDB_(Nuclear_Depth_Bomb)

So what you're saying is that orion would be more effective underwater...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.