Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

That's fine with me. I think most of us are in it for the bombs, not for the names ^^

Still, I can see the practical value of knowing which ships are docked

Best option would be to simply not list docked crafts with no magazines as an orion make a lot of sense as an mothership you dock multiple ships to but I can hardly think of an situation where you would want to dock two ships with magazines at once to it.

Best option would be to simply not list docked crafts with no magazines as an orion make a lot of sense as an mothership you dock multiple ships to but I can hardly think of an situation where you would want to dock two ships with magazines at once to it.

Oh, it already filters out any docked craft with no magazines. And any docked craft with with magazines, but of a type not shared by any other docked craft.

Will we be able to transfer from the small 3.5Mn magazines into the 3.5Mn array, or will transfer limited to the same magazine type?

Hmmm, tricky. Currently you cannot transfer between small 3.5MN and array 3.5MN. I'll see what I can do.

New Version 0.17 available for testing

See first post for download

The new added feature is to allow two docked Orion ships to transfer bombs between themselves. I'm sorry Mecha Pants, I'm still working on transferring between 3.5MN magazine and 3.5MN array.

Warning, this new version has the potential to contain major new bugs. Be on the lookout and let me know if you find anything. The prior version is available in the first post so you can revert to it.

So far with the new 0.21, all my Orions are exploding on the launch pad. I'm working on it.

Hmmm, that's odd. If the control pod is on top of the engine, it launches just fine. But if I slip a monopropellant segment or an ASAS in between, everything explodes.

Edited by nyrath

I have the same problem with the KW monoprop tanks exploding left right front and center even with normal rockets, for whatever reason Monoprop tanks seems to be really weak, at least the inline ones........

Yes they does not like heavy load on top of them, on an orion you have the option to put them on top of the magazines and don't put very heavy stuff on top of them.

Some modded versions are probably better, try kw or novapunch 3.5 meters.

No, I'm having Orion problems with almost anything stacked. Octstruts, monopropellant tanks, habitat cans, superstructure. All go boom.

I even tried turning off the recoil shock impulse the Orion give, no effect. And setting the mass of the magazines and engine to 1. I'm still working on it.

Ya, I tried building an orion straight away to go to eve, Spent 6 hours or so trying to get it to the point it wouldn't blow up on the launch pad.....

I did eventually manage it, ran out of RCS fuel though and had to restart the mission.....

How did you manage to prevent it from blowing up on the launch pad?

The instant I lift off, the first nuke causes a Structural failure on linkage between FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank and Mk1-2 Command Pod, things start colliding with each other and multiple explosions ensue.

Umm, I sorta mentioned the KW Rocketry tanks in my post, and NP is a little to taxing for use on top of the other mods I use....

I did not notice, however the top of magazines are nice places.

EVe5Ehh.jpg

Not only does I carry four monoprop tanks but the orange tanks hold 400 ton of spare parts each.

I filled the stacks so they went over the girder structure of the engine, the other option is to just fill the stack half full and add things on top.

No, I'm having Orion problems with almost anything stacked. Octstruts, monopropellant tanks, habitat cans, superstructure. All go boom.

I even tried turning off the recoil shock impulse the Orion give, no effect. And setting the mass of the magazines and engine to 1. I'm still working on it.

I only have problems with anything side mounted but I also assume heavy load.

Hi, are there any plans for a smaller 2.5m version (or maybe something a little bigger)? Would be nice to have something smaller for deep space probes... else, I just rescale it for personal use. Thank you!

I scaled mine down quite a while ago. It would be easy enough to edit the config to add multiple sizes.

Hi, are there any plans for a smaller 2.5m version (or maybe something a little bigger)? Would be nice to have something smaller for deep space probes... else, I just rescale it for personal use. Thank you!

Alas no. I've had so much trouble with density that I'm afraid to mess with it. If I was to change it, I would be responsible to deal with the Depredations of the Kraken.

I think it would be best if you rescaled it for personal use.

I only have problems with anything side mounted but I also assume heavy load.

Hrmp. I don't understand why Railgunner2160 and I are having so much trouble.

Magnemoe, when you launch, do you elevate the Orion rocket on launch struts?

A Mark1-2 command pod on top of an Orion engine with a magazine frame, plus three 3.5MN magazines will launch just fine.

But if I put anything under the command pod, the instant I launch, whatever I put has a structural failure with the command pod. Then everything explodes, except for the poor command pod which drops and rolls around.

I'm currently tracing through the code and it is driving me crazy. It is happening somewhere between the time when a bomb command is issued, and the time the bomb reaches the detonation point.

Hrmp. I don't understand why Railgunner2160 and I are having so much trouble.

Magnemoe, when you launch, do you elevate the Orion rocket on launch struts?

A Mark1-2 command pod on top of an Orion engine with a magazine frame, plus three 3.5MN magazines will launch just fine.

But if I put anything under the command pod, the instant I launch, whatever I put has a structural failure with the command pod. Then everything explodes, except for the poor command pod which drops and rolls around.

I'm currently tracing through the code and it is driving me crazy. It is happening somewhere between the time when a bomb command is issued, and the time the bomb reaches the detonation point.

Yes I used launching clamps on the last run, the one I showed images of, problem was that the side mounted engines fell off over time randomly, its probably related to me using orange side mounted tanks. I guess it would work better using medium grey ones and put main fuel suply on top. It might also be related to my "exploit" to overfill the stacks with magazines so I could build on top of them.

EVe5Ehh.jpg

this worked nice even for 400 ton modules, the center stack on the other hand is pretty lightweight, the large probe body, an medium fuel tank an drydock some torque modules and living quarter, it was so long it swayed a bit during turning but no problems during burns.

Alas no. I've had so much trouble with density that I'm afraid to mess with it. If I was to change it, I would be responsible to deal with the Depredations of the Kraken.

I think it would be best if you rescaled it for personal use.

Hi Nyrath,

Many thanks for the reply and info. I will rescale it for personal use.

Btw, always loved the Orion when I first read of it some years ago(Using explosive shells detonated behind a plate with shock absorbers, whats not to love?). Was very grateful when you and others did the work on implementing it into KSP. :)

Hi,quick question,I downloaded the mod and installed it,everything shows up in VAB,but the thing is:The engine doesn't show up in my stages list.

I can do arrays just fine and install them and all,I can install the engine too,but it doesn't show up in stages,so It's like it's not even an engine..Any idea why?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.