Is there a way to strip down my part heavy ships?

Jaedinator

Hey, today i finished what is supposed to be a travelling Station/Ship that is supposed to haul several Vessels from A to B and being able to get back to Kerbin or fly somewhere else by docked refuel tankers and even variable ways of transportation (2 Ion Vessels or 2 Atomic Vessels docked at the moving sites (see pic).

But after docking the Ion Driven Vessels that are supposed to fly the whole thing i saw that it was lagging alot and therefore not capable to fly.

The same thing happened to my Low-Kerbin Orbit station that after several docked modules started lagging like hell, but that didnt bothered me much as I dont need to fly it anywhere.

screenshot5ff.png

screenshot29ce.png

So, back to my question. Is there a way i can remove parts of vessels that are already flying to reduce part count (to reduce overall lag) ? Maybe with a mod or with a tool that changes the persistence file without having to change it manually.

I'm thankful for every help/suggestion ;)

Instead of removing parts, try putting it into a slightly higher orbit, like 200 km. Above a certain altitude (I think 160 km), the game removes some of the detail of Kerbin, making less lag.

The next update has some optimisations so you may find it gets better... the operative word here is MAY though.

I miss my space station... it was nice, even if it lagged like a [snip]. But I just couldn't use it for what I planned, and that was as a vehicle building cradle and fuel repository. The lag was so bad it took about 30 minutes just to travel a couple of metres lol. Try and build something like the ISS and it would work but becomes an exercise in frustration management.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Alternately, you could try turning your graphics settings down in the Preferences menu. Pointing your camera away from the planet helps, too, if that's an option. If you've got any other programs aside from KSP running in the background (like Steam, uTorrent, or things like that), turning them off will also help free up processing cycles for the game.

I'm on a laptop, so I've pretty much gotten used to expecting lag, then taking countermeasures to reduce it where I can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.