[closed]

Argh, and just today i build this for another chllenge:

j7ybJMkl.png

4000km traveled in 10minutes :P (almost 10km/s, 2minutes after launch, probably on Kerbol escape velocity) 49995 units of solid fuel.

It uses separatrons on the last stages (around 2000m/s Dv gained from them) so it's invalid. But it does felt awesome to return to good old stack boosters, no radial decouplers design :D (was it .10 or maybe even before that when we didn't have radial decouplers).

edit: before somebody post's a valid submission, you may want to have more restricting rules as it is really easy do do Kerbol escape with them, thus making scoring quite diffiult with infinity meters of altitude.

Cheers!

Edited by Nao

Sometimes, in space, less is more. 7 SRBs, 6 small decouplers, a small probe core, an RTG, and an SAS got me on a Kerbol escape trajectory.

On the pad:

YRkrdZZ.png

Launch:

JpjFvHN.png

Space!?:

7lCLFX6.png

SPAAAAAACE!:

3HfFHRL.png

Flight data:

VuE9s16.png

To be honest, I didn't expect to get this far. However, it was still a load of fun.

screenshot33bl.png

On the launchpad, Ribely isn't looking too nervous yet

screenshot36cm.png

As the first stage goes the gravity turn starts early, The magnitude of Ribely's situation dawns upon him as he realizes that he has very little control over where this rocket is going, sheer luck has him pointing prograde.

screenshot41p.png

With Just 2 boosters left nearly in orbit, maybe firing one at apoapsis will get you there

screenshot42f.png

Or maybe it will get you a Munar gravity assist launching you out of the Kerbin system

screenshot45t.png

Byeee

Forgot to grab a screenshot before firing that last booster, but ended up a little short of Duna, saved the booster till poor Ribely had returned to his Perihelion, then launched him further out

screenshot49i.png

I'll check back with him from time to time as from the looks of his orbit an eventual Duna or Kerbin encounter is not entirely out of the question and he still has a parachute.

Honestly, seeing how easy it is to launch stuff into a solar escape using solid boosters, I think it would be more of a challenge to see the maximum payload that could be carried into orbit, using only RT-10s. Using a slightly modified version of my Kerbol escape craft, I just barely got a capsule into orbit, showing that they are really only OP for extremely light craft.

• 2 weeks later...

I like challenges like this. Sometimes you revisit an old part from a few versions ago and find it still has uses, just not the same ones. A small motor with a large final TWR can have its uses, especially during landings I think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.