Laythe Logistics Challenge

Mission Briefing:

Laythe has been chosen as the headquarters of Kerbal Space Program endeavours in the outer system thanks to its accessible location in the Jool system numerous possible capture and aerobrake solutions to enter orbit cheaply. It will soon serve as the primary staging post for exploring the Jool system and beyond. This has promoted Laythe to the status of major hub of Kerbal Space enterprises. Numerous private sector companies are interested in establishing outposts on the Joolian moons for both research and industrial purposes. Since it would not be economical for these private sector companies to produce their own fuel depots at this time, the Kerbal Space Agency will be establishing the infrastructure neccessary to resupply these private enterprises with the hope that this will lead to economic benefits to all of Kerbalkind.

In order to ensure this project can go ahead, a new class of resupply vessel must be created, capable of hauling huge quantities of fuel out to Laythe. Unfortunately, the political classes of Kerbin fear that the KSC is currently over-funded, the administration of the KSC have therefore decided that conducting large numbers of interplanetary missions, regardless of their size, might lead to cuts in next years budget so interplanetary launches must be kept to a minimum.

Rules

You must design a rocket capable of transporting large quantities of fuel to Laythe. You have complete freedom in terms of the design of your ships but once your apoapsis passes 200,000km from Kerbin for the first time, you may not dock any more components or conduct any more refueling of any sort for the duration of the mission. You must also include at least three accessible docking ports in your design.

Mods are permitted but you may not use any component from a mod that affects your acceleration in anyway (other than decreasing it by making your ship more massive) or that provides fuel or alters your fuel consumption in any way. You must also note the use of mods in your entry. Use of debug mode for infinite fuel is, of course, against the rules.

The challenge ends when you reach Low Laythe Orbit (200km circular orbit or lower).

Scoring

The scoring system is very simple for this challenge: You receive one point for each unit of liquid and oxidiser fuel remaining at the end of the challenge, one point for every unit of RCS fuel remaining and two points for every 50 units of Xenon remaining.

Finally, any craft capable of finishing the mission with 100% of its liquid and oxidiser fuel remaining (via the use of Ion Engines) will receive 40,000 bonus points. (I have chosen this figure so that if you successfully transport one orange tank to Laythe via Ion Engines, you will definitely beat my score - I'd love if someone could demonstrate this was possible because I have failed so far).

Please provide screenshots of your final resource situation and a screenshot of your final orbit around Laythe.

Example

My deployable starbase dropping its engines after a long voyage.

Eb5ee7K.jpg

WXfpPvW.png

My score is 17,507 + 21,395 + 6,032 = 44,934.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.