[AAR] Development- A Journey to space

Mekan1k

Chapter 8- So, what next?

*It has been nearly a year since the Mun landing. After the first rousing Success, his attempts have all been rather explosive failures. Currently, the krew at the spaceport is a bit pissed, since they heard that a private company is sending up a 1st-gen Munar-fuel harvester, and was able to do so before they could. Due to some obscure laws that is part of the kerbal government, private space ventures have not allowed close-up images of their craft. However, the telescope was able to track from a distance.

*Jeb, Bob, and Bill are sitting around a table in the spaceport cafeteria, watching one of the television sets as the announcer provides background commentary...

Jeb: Bob, Bill, I am pissed. This company will be the first to harvest the delicious fuel from the mun, and I wanted to be the first to light an engine with MunFuel.....

Bill: Well, it could be worse. Just think- the next time we get to the mun we will be able to refuel! That should allow us to bring bigger and better rockets!

Bob: Wait- the announcer is saying something!

Announcer: Standing here in the KerbOil command center, the controllers are receiving telemetry data regarding the descent of the first privately-owned munar lander, the Here Come the Drums, and many seem very excited...

*sounds of scuffiling, swearing, and then kerbals running past in the background*

Announcer: ... Hold a moment

*Announcer puts hand to ear*

Announcer: It seems like there is either a telemetry error, or the vehicle is falling too fast for the engines to compensate.

*a crazy-eyed kerbal with a lab-coat runs up to the camera*

Crazy Guy: A year of work, wasted!

Announcer: Sir, can you tell us what went wrong?

Crazy Guy: It's all in the crater, yup. All in the crater!

Announcer: Okay.... I am getting a report from the studio that even ground-based telescopes have seen the impact of the Here Come the Drums

*Leo the kerbal, a fellow employee of Jeb, Bob, and Bill runs into the cafeteria*

Leo: Guys- I just got this picture from the watchers on the last telescope download. Look!

Z3TsyFe.jpg

Jeb: Ha. Haha. HAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! SUCKERS!!! HAHAHA!

*everyone watches as Jeb leaves the room, still laughing*

Bill: Well, that was unexpected. Nice explosion though.

Bob: Yup. I wonder where they tried to land?

Jeb: JUST LOOK FOR THE GLOWING CRATER! HAHAHA!!!!

Leo:... I don't think he's wrong.....

*a couple hours later, Bill is in the simulator, Bob is making space-food for the next journey, and Jeb is playing Human Space Program....

*Beep*Beep*Beep*

Bob: I think that's the Duna Probe.

Bill: *Steps out of the simmulator* Why did we send a long-term Duna Probe again?

Bob: Because the massive flaw in the triangular-strut, a space kraken attacked it.

Jeb: *looks up from game* Really? A space kraken?

Bob: No, just an error in the autopilot made it enter the atmosphere and explode when it hit the denser air layers.

Jeb: So that's why this went to duna.

Bob: Yes. Anyway, the ship has not really been able to do much, since we have been so buisy, with paperwork, so the probe was only able to set up a sat relay network for the two flight-capable probes it has.

*Bill walked over to a console, and pushed a few buttons*

Bill: Hey guys- check out the pictures it sent us!

L5OoQtm.jpg

snO9dfB.jpg

0WmV0EC.jpg

Jeb: Nice. Duna AND one of the Muns.

fiUMVcV.jpg

Bill: This one has an annotation. "Debris shield stuck in deployed state. No other errors detected" Well, that's ok then.

Jeb: OOhh! What's that blue glow?

iELYORu.jpg

Bill: That's the interplanetary ram-jet concentration field.

Jeb: Why did I not get to test that?

Bill: Because the one test we did the field cut a researcher in half, and made the rest of the people in the room sterile.

Jeb: Alrighty then! I retract the question.

Lt7wZE1.jpg

17yO64k.jpg

Bill: another annotation: "Massive hydrogen mass detected, as well as other elements. Fuel scoops may be effective in cloud."

Jeb: :D

Awltdwy.jpg

RKshmxh.jpg

Jeb: Is it going to launch the probes yet?

EXP4AvZ.jpg

Jeb: Yes. Yes it is.

hnq5vBj.jpg

PceGjPb.jpg

ZZj9zuc.jpg

l4ltnTx.jpg

DVbybR7.jpg

qAyswQl.jpg

wiMzYpN.jpg

HIa3c0R.jpg

wFUx26B.jpg

Jeb: Another burn?

Bill: The inclination was rather steep.

AXvj8Pu.jpg

Jeb: Well, that seems like the end of the pictures. What did the sat-grid look like?

VmGj2PL.jpg

Jeb: Ok, that's alot of satelites.

Bill: It had better be. We are dropping the probes later, when the window opens for transmission later.

Jeb: Call me when that is.

Bill: Will do!

To all my readers- Thanks for all the funny sayings! Keep inventing them. I may use one, or not at all :P

Also, please check this out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35424-Requesting-asistance!

I cannot seem to make a large Munar lander for some reason... I will keep trying, but until then I will be asking for help from the modding community.

Next chapter in a few days, so please, comment.

Edited by Mekan1k

Chapter 9 - Here Comes The Drums

Jeb: So.... Why is that engraved on all our probes?

Bob: Who knows. Come on- you are going to miss the first commercial launch that they are letting the public videotape!

Announcer: I was asleep, but I am glad to see this historic launch. This will be the first cough second launch of the Kerbal Commercial Space Lander, or KCSL Here Comes The Drums

Jeb: Was the first one covered up?

Announcer: Yes, it was covered up. Anyway, time to countdown! 10!

Jeb: 9

Bob: 8

Bill: 7

Lee: 6

Kreiger: 5

Jeb: 4-3-2-1 Blastoff!

Announcer: Jeb, that was a bit too fast.

Jeb: No it's not. I'm bored. Liftoff!

IJabkXx.jpg

Jeb: Wow. That thing's booking incredibly fast....

Bill: Looks like a stage separation.... Wait- are those orange tanks falling?

Jeb: Scatter!!!

CeRw2uB.jpg

Bob: No, looks like it will probably miss us.

Kreiger: Well, I am going to swim out to sea, so that if it falls straight down, it will miss us.

Bill:....

Jeb:... Do you think we should tell him about the parabolic curve of the rocket?

Bob: I think the tidal wave will explain it.

Kreiger: HELP!! I CANNOT SHRED!!

4p0sFgr.jpg

Jeb: Well, that could have been worse.

Bill: Look- the satellites are getting images!

N0WGnlH.jpg

J07ebdk.jpg

ZkIsmHp.jpg

iMoyESX.jpg

Jeb: Looks like a huge lander.

Bob: That's what it is.

Announcer: This just in: I am receiving word that there will be a dramatic image of the craft.... NOW!

kgy9rhK.jpg

Jeb: Wow. That IS dramatic.

Bob: Yeah. I think it's a 6/10.

Bill: Well, now it's on a Munar intercept. We should probably check back in a day or so to see if any of the long-range telescopes have caught a glimpse of it.

Announcer: I think I will go back to sleep. Jeb, the engineers want to test a new centerfuge on you.

Jeb: Not again...

*A few hours later*

Cx6mhUu.jpg

Jeb: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmm ggggggggggggoooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg ttttttttttttttoooooooooooooooooo bbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeee sssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill: What did he say?

Bob: I think he said that he was going to be sick.

Jeb: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill: I think I got that one.

Announcer: Please turn off the centrifuge. We have some new data from our Munar satellites

Jeb: YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!! GGGEEETTT MMMEEE OOOUUUTTT OOOFFF TTTHHHIIISSS TTTHHHIIINNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Bill: Fine.

*Sounds of centerfuge De-celerating.

rCArxD4.jpg

Bill: Ah- I see it dropped the larger nuclear engine after entering Munar Orbit.

Jeb (stumbling around): That sounds what good is that does. *Urp!*

oFqQzVP.jpg

Bob: Looks like it already made it's landing burn.

BWpz9yt.jpg

VuhE18P.jpg

Announcer: I just got new information from the studio- We have fuel sensed and extracted!

dEZrssT.jpg

Bill: Well, Jeb, we should be getting better ships now.

Jeb: Why?

Bill: Private companies will be going up now, right? We have the patents of the fuel extractor, and for most of the space-based engine technologies, and we have access to the only real spaceport, and the first large space station.

Jeb: I see. Well then. We will keep exploring, and let the private sector help us up there!

Bob: Should we get started?

Jeb: Yes! Lets get going!

This is the end of Development: A Journey to Space, and I will continue the story if people are still interested into a new arc.

Post your comments here, and keep playing, my friends.

Ah- My legions of adoring fans! I guess I will need to make another story.

Teaser picture!

mFuESOy.jpg

Link to where the next part of the story will be:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35928-AAR-Construction-A-Journey-to-Space-WARNING-IMAGE-HEAVY

Make sure to check there for the next segment of the story. (Expected update- soon[tm])

Edited by Mekan1k

A question before I start writing the script for the next segment- If Jeb got a house in space, would he have RTG power or Solar Power on it?

I'd say solar panels, they look better! Just make sure it would have enough batteries to last the night if its orbiting a Planet.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Just found this thread. I know where you got your probe ships, and i congratulate you on a wonderful representation of the Von Braun from Discovery's Alien Planet. I loved the series, and have even considered a Von Braun mod, but don't have the skills for modeling the parts yet. This is the first recreation of it i've seen yet, but hopefully not the last. Hope to see more on the new series!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.