Ship Request: Small SSTO VTVL Rocket that is mechjebbable into LKO

Is a single stage to orbit and vertical takeoff and vertical landing small rocket capable of carrying up to 3 crew possible? If anyone has made one, modded or not, please share it, it would be awesome if I can control it with mechjeb, at least the orbiting part :)

My craft does VTOL, SSTO, carries up to 5 crew (in a modified version). The only thing it isn't is a pure rocket craft as per your requirements, it's a space plane. Mechjeb can't flay spaceplanes, but the Smart ASS works well on this. Oh, my plane is also designed to be immune to unilateral flame outs and flat spins.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24734-Amphibious-VTOLSSTO-%28Image-heavy%29

iJVLH4H.jpg

I've built a bunch of VTOL ssto's now but mechjeb can't fly them effectively because you need human interaction to activate the proper engines at the proper time. Also mechjeb doesn't have a setting currently to fly up to 30km and air hog till it can't anymore before it starts its real orbital injection.

My "Tylo lander" is a pure-rocket SSTO in kerbin, and if you use the optional staging and drop some tanks, then it can land and take off in Tylo, if I've run the numbers right. I haven't tried to mechjeb it, but it is incredibly easy to fly (you don't even need to throttle) so I doubt you have any issues there. Lands with chutes, so you can run the tanks dry at deorbiting, IIRC.

ENtVVgZ.jpg

You can find it in my thread, which you can find in my sig.

Edit: Now that I look more closely at the picture, that one may not have chutes. They are easy to add (hint: strut the chutes), but I'm far from a computer with KSP these days, so you'll have to do it on your own.

Rune. Leave a comment if you like it!

Edited by Rune

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.