3 Minute Rover Race (Scenario, high FPS)

Just to say before we start, there's similar challenges I know, and good ones as well, flying and driving, and I've tried them but unfortunately too many complex gates cause bad FPS for me. This has four gates, each gate is three parts - it should run well on any PC :)

3minbanner.jpg

The Challenge

Drive around the simple course that takes in all the sights at the KSC in under 3 mins (or as fast as you can)

Yes, it's that simple. Launch to the runway, head out to the Squad Obelisk (gate 1, you must pass to the left of it). Then back to the runway (gate 2, you must loop around it once). Then past the Launchpad complex to gate 3 (you can cut across the raised ground/pipes/ect but at least one structure must be on your left). Pass to the left of gate 3 then slalom to the right of the Comm Center, the left of the VAB (be sure to look at the memorial statue next to the VAB as you pass it) and the right of the SPH. That's it, and all there is to see at KSC, but still though head down to gate 4 (the left side of it) and back between the two spotlights on the runway where you started to finish. Bob Kerman is waiting there, don't make him wait too long!

3minrace.jpg

Here's me cruising the course with just a half size 35 thrust small basic jet engine on a mod craft in cockpit view, I nearly went 100m/s :0.0: And I turned MechJeb off!

If you manage to break a gate then just reset the scenario but they're full 40 ton Jumbo fuel tanks so I'd really try to avoid them (and yes I carried them out from the runway with a KAS crane). You can go as [sTOCK] or [MOD] vehicles, the only rule is it must have wheels, vehicle destruction at the finishing post is acceptable but discouraged :) They'll be [sTOCK]/[MOD] leaderboards if anyone competes.

Here is the Scenario, put the "3 Min Rover Race.sfs" file in "saves\scenarios" in your KSP install and for the complete experience put "3 Min Rover Race.png" in saves\scenarios\banners. Launch it from the Scenario load screen.

The mission clock starts when you launch to the runway, note your time as you cross the finish line or screenshot it if you want to compete. Go, Go, Go!

The Current Leaders

1:38 1096bimu [MOD]

3.00 SirJodelstein [stock]

Edited by Darren9

I like the idea. Are all mods allowed? It looks like you used KSPX in yours.
Yep, anything is allowed. Some mods are overpowered and have an advantage over stock, if a scoreboard develops they'll go on a separate one - it's up to you what you think are balanced parts really. All you need is wheels and a craft that can fit between the buildings.

Seriously, copycat!
I thought both challenges were a different experience and needed different vehicles/driving style to complete. My main motivation though, as I said, was disappointment at the effect fifteen to twenty probe ships has on my PC, and also the stock only entry that a lot of these challenges have. There are some great well balanced mods/addons, so great that modders have been recruited to the dev team. Why stop people from using them in a challenge when it's so easy to permit them and have a separate scoreboard if you need to \End Rant. Yes, yours was there first :)

I have been trying for like an hour but looks like taking care of not overspeeding the wheels and braking before corners is to much for me. What mod are you using for those wheels?

Challenge accepted! making my own F-1 race car!

1:38

"KSC Challenger Mk.3" is the first all custom moded race car designed specifically to tackle this challenge. Featuring an ultra stable wide chassis, 4 wheel drive and steering. With two independently controlled jet boosters, it has a top speed of over 200m/s and cornering speeds of over 100m/s.

Coming down the production line, I call it "Downforce" It aims to solve all of the problems associated with the KSC Challenger and set an unbeatable record for this challenge. Even with a top speed of 300m/s, it also has incredible control with a cornering speed of over 200m/s achieved by the immense downforce. In fact its down force is so great it's the main reason for its 300m/s speed limit, because the chassis can't take any more of it.

KZSd9fL.jpg

Edited by 1096bimu

I have been trying for like an hour but looks like taking care of not overspeeding the wheels and braking before corners is to much for me. What mod are you using for those wheels?

I've been using the racing-slicks-0-19-robaus-warehouse, I also have modular-multiwheels-and-omniwheels. I haven't tried to do it stock, I think only the landing gears will be fast enough.

1:38

~snip~

That's fast, about 20 seconds faster than I can manage at the moment. I'll put you in the OP. Using the thrust to steer, I hadn't thought of that, I've got engines that reverse thrust at the moment to brake hard for the corners. Edited by Darren9

• 2 weeks later...

Wooo, speed racing :) Now even more exiting without a cockpit! Presenting my stock driving contraption (not really a car) "Race Crab Mk. 2"

C0QRTKV.jpg

Features:

* Rockets!

* Jets!

* No need for throttling, full power all the way!

* complicated action-group-steering!

* Unreliable emergency-exit seat catapult!

* Drop-Start to enable mission time!

Cool racing track, the 360-turn with the runway-jump really gave me a headache :)

xJo2ZVN.jpg

L6SbHU5.jpg

lq7lMex.jpg

Full album here

Top speed 110 m/s on the track, final time 3:33. The three-minute-goal is within reach.

Edited by SirJodelstein
more features

"KSC Challenger Mk.3" is the first all custom moded race car designed specifically to tackle this challenge. Featuring an ultra stable wide chassis, 4 wheel drive and steering. With two independently controlled jet boosters, it has a top speed of over 200m/s and cornering speeds of over 100m/s.

Coming down the production line, I call it "Downforce" It aims to solve all of the problems associated with the KSC Challenger and set an unbeatable record for this challenge. Even with a top speed of 300m/s, it also has incredible control with a cornering speed of over 200m/s achieved by the immense downforce. In fact its down force is so great it's the main reason for its 300m/s speed limit, because the chassis can't take any more of it.

Hey bimu, impressive racer. Are these all mod-parts or did you additionally edit some .cfg-files?

Hey bimu, impressive racer. Are these all mod-parts or did you additionally edit some .cfg-files?

What do you mean? they are MODs I made with the purpose of producing the fastest race car, so of course I had to write all the CFG files, but would that count as "additionally edited"?

What do you mean? they are MODs I made with the purpose of producing the fastest race car, so of course I had to write all the CFG files, but would that count as "additionally edited"?

Ah, cool. For me: MODs = stuff out there on Spaceport from someone else, CFG-Editing = custom tuning of stock/mod parts or creation of own parts for more even awesomeness. I was wondering if the parts of your racer are available for download :)

Ah, cool. For me: MODs = stuff out there on Spaceport from someone else, CFG-Editing = custom tuning of stock/mod parts or creation of own parts for more even awesomeness. I was wondering if the parts of your racer are available for download :)

The engine is, it's on my mod thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31204-0-20-0-Hakari-s-Hyperdimension-Space-Junks-UPDATE-LED-lights

Booyah! Crab Racer Mk. 3 did it in exactly 3:00

The two additional jet engines + 1 hyperjet provide more thrust than the two hyperjets from Mk2, and allow faster high- and low-speed turning.

~snip~

I put you on the scoreboard, it needed a stock entry to show it was possible - well done :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.