A landing pad

I thought a landing pad would look nice on my mun base, with pretty lights and what not, so I made one. I'm testing it next to the ksc, it holds up weight well, it's very visible from up high etc, but landing on it is HELL. Even if I double its size, this kind of precision landing demands a lot of fuel.

If it were equally easy landing on the pad and on land I would use the pad because it's pretty, thus making this one of those rare cases where the lack of sense outweights the fun of doing it. Here are some pretty pictures though:

ibo4GKJUmOLAXz.png

ibjNss2RFC7y2n.png

i6ebU2qkeI1xe.png

Next project will be a set of small "lantern rovers", they'll form a circle indicating where to land :P

Do you have any idea if it's possible to make one of these that sits level even on uneven ground? I've been looking into the possibility of creating a landing pad for my VTOL craft on Laythe - it tends to be so hilly it's hard to land even with a VTOL.

I thought about it, that would make the thing useful. With only stock parts I think it's unlikely to make anything practical, you could experiment with landing struts or landing gears, as you retract each one it gives room to some degree of levelling. Have you checked that robotics mod? I haven't, but it might have something useful.

I did that and managed to put it on the arch on the moon.

The key is to individually (1 by 1) place the landing legs so you can turn them on or off to conform to wherever you land.

That was sort of what I had in mind, I didn't think it could work! care to share some pics? :D

Man, your avatar is extremely creepy.

I get that a lot. It gets better in high resolution, we can see all the veins, skin spots, wrinkles... it's all there, at the very bottom of the uncanny valley. lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.