Modelling requests and tutorials

So I've handed in all of my modelling work for university and now have some spare time for my own projects.

What would people like creating?

I've not propperly played about with unity yet (been too busy working with Cry3) so bear in mind I can only model, texture and animate so if anyone has a serious project that they need a model(s) for just let me know.

I'd rather model realistic stuff rather than science fiction and I don't want to model anything silly.

If anyone has any general Max or Maya questions feel free to post them in this topic and I'll see if I can help you out.

Due to interest I've started a Modelling / texturing / animating / porting tutorial that can be found here:

Kerbal To Pro: Modelling for KSP With 3ds Max.

Specific sections can be found below

Chapter 1: Acquiring 3ds Max (legally)

Chapter 2: Familiarisation

Chapter 3: Research

Chapter 4: Setting up Max

Chapter 5: Modelling

Like it says in the Foreword:

"Please don’t follow this tutorial to the dot; I’ve intentionally left out steps to make sure that following my every single mouse click is very difficult.

This way, rather than learning to model a MIR Docking Port, you’ll learn to create whatever it is you’d like to create."

Enjoy.

Edited by bilsta1000

So I've handed in all of my modelling work for university and now have some spare time for my own projects.

What would people like creating?

I've not propperly played about with unity yet (been too busy working with Cry3) so bear in mind I can only model, texture and animate so if anyone has a serious project that they need a model(s) for just let me know.

I'd rather model realistic stuff rather than science fiction and I don't want to model anything silly.

If anyone has any general Max or Maya questions feel free to post them in this topic and I'll see if I can help you out.

Well Ive got these boosters I need for a project im doing. Can you make them for me.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25237-Making-some-boosters

All info is in this link.

Best thing to do would be to browse around and see what is generally missing, or what mods need some modeling help. If you decide to make your own mod, you can pretty easily find people who will make config files. Hell, even I will make config files for you if you would like, they are not that hard (use stock parts as templates).

I think I would most like to see some work done for the Interplanetary Space centers mod, some more work done for the KASPAR mod (might have to look for it) and if you are particularly competent I am sure Bobcat would not mind sharing some work load on his multiple multiple projects.

Good luck! I got 9 hours left on my astrophysics and planetary geology degree as of the start of this summer. So close...

Best thing to do would be to browse around and see what is generally missing, or what mods need some modeling help. If you decide to make your own mod, you can pretty easily find people who will make config files. Hell, even I will make config files for you if you would like, they are not that hard (use stock parts as templates).

I think I would most like to see some work done for the Interplanetary Space centers mod, some more work done for the KASPAR mod (might have to look for it) and if you are particularly competent I am sure Bobcat would not mind sharing some work load on his multiple multiple projects.

Good luck! I got 9 hours left on my astrophysics and planetary geology degree as of the start of this summer. So close...

So can you help with the config files is that the boosters im asking bilsta1000 to make for me, i had already made them but they don't work. I tought it most likely could be the part but not sure. Can you check if its the config file. The part is in this url

http://www.dropbox.com/home/Sls%20booster

and the name of everything is in unity

13Lo92L.jpg

I had deleted every game object except for cylinder and thrustTransformer. So the rest of the pics have no purpose.

Edited by astroadrian99

Had a couple of projects of my own

(trying to get my laptop replaced and free legal versions of software through my Uni)

but I might start modelling the booster a bit later today.

shouldn't take too long.

Ok thank you so much. You are the best.

I became a victim of my own success, after never having a single corrupt file through two years of Uni, the booster became corrupt.

Restarting but luckily it's not a very advanced model so wont take long to recreate.

Take this as a lesson folks. BACKUP!!! (iteratively if possible)

Edited by bilsta1000

Kuznetsow NK-33 rocket engine...please

EDIT:I forgot, if you need any pics or data...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NK-33 (yes, wiki is sometimes helpful aswell :P )

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/nk33.html

http://www.spaceandtech.com/spacedata/engines/nk33_specs.shtml

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/nk33.htm

EDIT2:and if youd like, I can make the cfgs. myself, but if you want to do them yourself:

Thrust : 440 kN

ISP : 300-330

Weight : 0.3

Size/Diameter : 1,25m

Edited by dimovski

It would be great to see someone pick up on those parts packs that had 3.75m tanks and engines, and the 1.25m and 2.5m parts that just fit areas the stock parts didn't quite cover... KW rocketry did it well and looked fitting with the stock parts before its dev seemed to go dark after the forum crash and we were left with a version that hadn't been updated much since 18.1... Maybe you'd consider starting a whole new parts pack altogether if you could get a small team to work on it with you? (I'm great at testing parts, been running trial and errors on alot of mods after the 0.20 update scrambled everything XD ) I remember there used to be alot of great packs before... now most are made in ways that just don't feel right mingled with everything else, or just simply don't have that nice polished feel to them, and there doesn't seem to be many good modelers willing to pick up on this field lately... :(

We need a good engines and tanks pack again, that keeps balance in mind, while looking good and being functional as well, all while expanding the horizons of part diversity... Most modders nowadays seem to focus more on things that aren't in KSP at all right now, rather than expanding what is there... And the idea of keeping realism in mind with designs is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on. So, maybe it could be something to consider, rather than going for teaming up with another modding company, starting a whole new one to have your parts put into a bundle, maybe compiled over time as they are requested now?

Edit: Sorry for lengthy post, btw, I'm moreso the lurking sort, but just saw this and was wondering if you may take interest in the idea... ^^;

now most are made in ways that just don't feel right mingled with everything else, or just simply don't have that nice polished feel to them, and there doesn't seem to be many good modelers willing to pick up on this field lately...

Do you think this is because of laziness or just the skill required to create high quality models.

I'm more than willing to do a series of tutorials on how to model / texture efficiently if it's something people are interested in.

Bear in mind more than likely a lot of the younger members in this forum will still be at school/college/uni etc so would be able to pick up a copy of Max for free

I know that Max can be very intimidating at first and it's really easy to lock your model or get frustrated. (It's happened to me many times) so would a tutorial about basic part modelling help?

As long as it's a realistic part and you supply lots of research material (3 views are the best) I'll obviously have a look at it.

Personally I'd love to do some parts for RemoteTech but it seems everything's covered over there.

Edited by bilsta1000

Do you think this is because of laziness or just the skill required to create high quality models.

I'm more than willing to do a series of tutorials on how to model / texture efficiently if it's something people are interested in.

Bear in mind more than likely a lot of the younger members in this forum will still be at school/college/uni etc so would be able to pick up a copy of Max for free

I know that Max can be very intimidating at first and it's really easy to lock your model or get frustrated. (It's happened to me many times) so would a tutorial about basic part modelling help?

Ah, not so much laziness as absence of anyone actually working on packs of parts like this, really... But it may be skill too... Its just that the packs availible that come with a good selection of tanks and engines seem to be poorly done in some way, be it the general look of the parts, or the balance of its stats, and the folks who worked on some of the better ones in the past seem to have vanished in the forum wipe... ^^;

Actually, I'm currently unemployed due to medical stuff, so I've got quite a bit of free time on my hands myself... I've looked into the modeling myself, and you're right about it being intimidating, especially with zero to nil experience in this field... But if you'd be willing, I'd love to see some tutorials, I think learning for myself may be a swell idea. It'd be great to learn so I can make a few engine designs I had in mind, and I love having longer tanks to avoid unstable stacking on my ships... XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.