What if...

So I've been wondering what would happen if the periapsis of an orbit around -say a black hole- was so near the point of gravity that the speed nearing periapsis would exceed have to exceed C to complete an orbit. I couldn't find anything about it online. That may be because of I didn't do much research or the simple fact that I don't have physics in school and the question above makes no sense at all.

I don't understand quantum physics that well but as far as I understand, that would just not be an orbit. As the object got closer to the speed of light it's mass would increase exponentially and it would be sucked in. Maybe?

When using Newtonian physics (where all closed orbits are ellipses) you could get cases where the speed at periapsis would have to exceed the speed of light in order for a particle to complete its elliptical orbit. BUT, if you are close enough to a big enough mass for this to happen, Newtonian physics no longer gives you answers that match what we observe happening in our universe -- you have to use Einstein's General Theory of Relativity to properly describe gravity in that situation, and the results show that no object will ever exceed the speed of light.

But i mean would it just stop accelerating one it hits the speed of light©?

The fact that gravity doesn't behave like a force anymore at this point. Objects move through space-time at a constant speed. The speed of light. What changes is how much of that is along spatial directions. Because gravity is properly described as space-time curvature, the maximum local velocity will always be the speed of light.

By the way, you can exceed speed of light when passing a rotating black hole. Your local speed will still be limited to c, but you can be moving FTL relative to remote objects due to frame dragging.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.