What kind of player are you?

Doc Anderson

None of these. I try to build my rockets as though i'm on a budget. Then apply them to a realistic mission. Which actually works out very nicely.

That would make you a ... Certified Kerbal Accountant? :D

Edited by Doc Anderson

Purist Pilot, personally. I'm fine with people using mechjeb, if that's fun for them, but for me, it takes the fun and experimentation out of the game. I haven't killed anybody yet, so I must be doing something right, no? :D

The builder spends hours shut away in the VAB creating new ships and then hands them to Mechjeb to see if they will work.

Conarr - I do like to create new and interesting designs, but after a couple hundred manual launches, I don’t have any objection to all letting the computer manage things for me. Having said that, I do keep a close eye on the computer because there are really only two type: those that have broken, and those that are gonna break.

The modder says, "KSP is perfect, but what it REALLY needs is steampunk parts and warp drive!"

Conarr - Some mods add a nice variety of balanced parts, others are not compatible with the game as it is now. I make a judgement on what I need versus what’s already available.

The sci-fi geek changed the name of Duna to Alderaan and is building a scale version of the Death Star.

Conarr – I do like this, but mostly I just build what I need for the mission, or what I want to see if I can make work.

The astrophysicist transfers to Eeloo using only 1000 m/s Delta V and multiple gravity assists, and then watches it in map view at full warp.

Conarr – I have flown a couple missions entirely from the cockpit, mostly because I saw Scott Manley do it and wanted to see if I could pull it off, but I am more interested in managing a space program instead of the hands on twitchy flying.

All of them are right because all of them are having fun.

Conarr – (IDGARA) I don’t give a rat’s ass how anyone else plays the game as long as they’re having fun and supporting the game and / or the community. It makes no difference to anyone but the person holding the opinion what he or she thinks. I just want to see the game do well and I hope I can contribute in some small way.

Edited by Conarr

purist and pilot I don't like mods or mechjeb and sometimes I spend two hours with Orbital rendezvous and still not even consider any assist programs. I also like to plan my rockets and payloads so that they look beautiful and realistic. I just did cargo resupply for my new space station. I brought nothing real to there, but I made spacewalk around it and some other stuff like that. I bet that many of you don't do that kind of missions. Also who likes to give every program name and number flights? My current is Hawk and missions 1-10 are made and still two more to come at least.

This is more or less me. I use mechjeb almost entirely for the information I can get (like the weigh of the launcher and pods I use instead of adding it up by hand) although I have once or twice used the auto ascent and orbital alignment modes a few times. My command pods have names/classes (a prince and prince II class, lately duke and baron classes as I continue to find a way to get the best one-man command pod for my projects before I move on to the three man crew variants). My missions have been Explorer 1 and 2 to validate the command modules serviceability and make orbits and the like. Then there was Salutation 1 and 2 which were my attempts to make orbital rendezvous and dock (still haven't been successful with that yet - ugh!) and just last night, working on a new launch rocket I had Sparrowhawk 1 with a second Sparrowhawk mission lined up for tonight's festivities as I continue to refine the rocket.

I also use the mapsat mod cuz the idea of sending a probe to a moon or plane an let it scan for a map appeals to me. And I'm thinking of getting the kethane mod because tha might be use to me as well. I tend to role play my stuff too so that just adds to it. Beyond all that I try to stay pure and I only want to use stock parts and what not.

I don't spend a *whole* lot of time in the VAB, but I do like to make new rockets for everything I do. Mechjeb does not appeal to me, but I like some mods. My goals are spontaneous and all over the place. One launch I may be trying to place a satellite in orbit around Moho, next launch I may be sticking a new collection of parts on a space station, and next launch I may be gluing a bunch of SRBs together for Jeb to play with.

That`s me!

Seriusly,i spend a few minutes bulding something, one day i might go to Jool, another go to Mun and then go FTL or do a sundive or recreate a NASA mission with KW parts

Generally, Builder and Explorer. A little Pilot (circumnavigating Kerbin), little Modder (as noted by my signature) and some realist (I build rockets, not stack of boosters).

Also, another one: Mechanic: Spends countless hours building rovers and the biggest of mobile bases, mostly with no intent to send it to other planets whatsoever.

I used to spend a lot of time in VAB but now that I've started my ambitious mun base mission I have 2 launch vehicles I use regularly only going into vab to change the payloads. They both utilize a sky crane with a command probe so all I do is take off the sky crane build a payload and drop the sky crane back on top. Back when I wasn't doing mission specific flights I spent a lot of time building. I've never used mechjeb though.

I whish I could estimate the time I spend in the VAB... Probably 75/80% of my time is spent here.

I also have a tentancy to stop actual mission, get back in the VAB cuz' I have a "better" idea !

Are you my mother? I do the same thing. If I could just quit being so anal about the builds I might actually get to Duna!

I am a builder. I have spent the last 3 days designing, testing, scrapping, redesigning a 3 vehicle setup to mine kethene and send it to an orbiting converter. All done via remote (no kerbals).

I am currently stuck trying to figure out a way to transfer resources from a ground based miner to a lander storage vehicle. Lazer systems would work, but feels "cheaty" to me. Docking ports are problematic considering uneven terrain. I started to try the lazer robotic arms, but they cause a huge unbalanced effect once in orbit. Next up for testing is combo of KAS and damned robotics to see if I can make a simple arm to drop an attachment point onto another attached to the lander.

I created a drop tank from one of the big orange tanks and a little silver tank taped together and a couple radial rockets super glued to the bottom. I think I might have even stuck some landing struts on with shewing gum. You're welcome to the craft file if you want something to laugh about

I play this game in so many different ways, and all tend to amaze me (up to the point where i mess up or a sudden freak accident occurs, like last time on the runway, i tested a half finished mobile base rover design of mine and crashed it. I yelled "for science!" restartet to see if I could replicate the circumstances and the whole thing just Imploded on it self (causing it to Explode right afterwards XD) It did so three times in a row ... I lost to brave men in that fiery inferno, that was a sad sad day in KSC :( Anyway my current and freshly installed save has seen quite a few chrases already (for science) but no deaths ^^)

Most of the time i just build ridiculous rockets and try to achieve orbit with them, all by hand, then i really like to experiment with mods, then again I send long missions to far out and foreign places that need lots of planning and presicion working and well now and then I yell "for science!" and blow stuff up *cough* most of the time *cough cough* XD

Have I stated that I really love this game? No? Here I do:

I totally adore KSP and love it! :D (as we all do i guess ^^)

I created a drop tank from one of the big orange tanks and a little silver tank taped together and a couple radial rockets super glued to the bottom. I think I might have even stuck some landing struts on with shewing gum. You're welcome to the craft file if you want something to laugh about

A pic should be enough. I think I would be done if it wasn't for me not wanting to strand a Kerbal on the mun to attach hoses.

i tested a half finished mobile base rover design of mine and crashed it. I yelled "for science!"

Remember what Adam Savage says, “The difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.â€Â

... Note to self, MOAR STRUTS!

I am a.... well almost everything. I spend hours in the VAB and watch in horror as my ship explodes on the launch pad. Then I spend just as long flying those ships into orbit only to think of a way to improve that design and to make it compatible with other things I have built (I have a little rover that can dock to my duna station and if I align enough of them the station can be moveable and a space plane that can mirror dock with another). I am also a huge exploration nerd. I love seeing that new planet come into view and seeing what things I can land on it. I even have spent half a day driving a rover on Mun chasing down anomalies. What I don't do is sit down and calculate the perfect launch window or that junk, even though I could, it just isn't that fun for me. I'm also not one that cares how "realistic" something is.

But... above all else; I am an explosives expert!

Another thing:

I can have Mythbuster/Jebediah tendencies, sometimes. Eve SSTO impossible, you say? Challenge accepted. Pendulum rockets don't work, you say? Let me build that for you. Moho has a large crater at the north pole and it causes gravity to go out of whack, you say? Screw the mun rover, time to go to Moho! FOR SCIENCE!

Short version: Builder / Purist / Sci-Fi / Astrophysicist

Long version: I'm more concerned with the capabilities and elegance of my spacecraft than my ability to pilot it. I won't use Hyperedit but I use MechJeb for many things (rendezvous, docking and landing I still find better to do manually). I'm a purist in the sense of parts only, as I will use mods that provide functionality that the stock parts lack (MechJeb, Subassembly Loader, Crew Manifest, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kethane, MapSat). I said Sci-Fi, but more in the sense of Arthur C. Clarke or Alastair Reynolds than Star Wars or Star Trek, which I consider to be more Science-Fantasy. I'm somewhat split on the astrophysicist/realist dichotomy as I only use the cockpit view for screenshot purposes and I use time warp frequently but I feel the need to fully develop the inner system before voyaging elsewhere as I would find it immersion-breaking to imagine nothing has been happening in the inner system while I timewarp the however many years out to Eeloo.

I would say I'm a purist pilot by your descriptions, but like anything else, it is difficult to be entirely within a label.

I like to try to play with as few mods as possible. I have never even touched MechJeb, for example. I have used things like fairings mods and the Kethane mining pack, but that's about the extent of the modding.

Since I don't use MechJeb, I obviously try to manually fly everything (the exception being SAS if you want to count that as non-manual flight). I always try to test my creations on Kerbin before sending my Kerbals into space, but I since I manually fly, more times than not I send them to their graves on some celestial body. I get more satisfaction when things go right than I think I would if I did not fly the craft myself. That's just me, anyway, and I certainly to not criticize other people's ways of doing things.

I won't use Hyperedit but I use MechJeb for many things

I have to admit, I do sometimes use Hyperedit, ... but only to test something before I stick it on a launch vehicle and invest 30-60 minutes getting into position to use, and only then if I've actually piloted a craft of that kind to a given location. I can't bring myself to Hyper edit to someplace I haven't already been a number of times. For me that would kill the discovery. But testing Mun lander design #514? ... I'm all over hyperediting it into Munar orbit several times to fine tune the design as a "simulation" before I try it on the launch pad at KSC.

As for MechJeb ... LOVE it! Tons of great info at my fingertips as I design and fly. It also takes the drudgery out of certain tasks. ... I'm happy to let it fly the 15th space station refueling mission rendezvous.

If a mod adds to YOUR fun, use it. Otherwise don't.

However, my favorite mod by far for just plain fun is "Chatterer." It just adds TONS of atmosphere and is essential for the "Space Roleplay" player.

Edited by Doc Anderson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.