What kind of player are you?

Doc Anderson

I'm an "engineer". I work out a plan to accomplish the mission objectives, then spend a ridiculous amount of time designing the "perfect" vehicle for the mission. Once I've got the vehicle designed to my satisfaction I build it, test fly it to work the bugs out, then finally fly the mission to see how accurately the performance conforms to my expectations.

-Slashy

*waves* Same here. Building a rocket at low cost.

I think, from the list, I'm a conflicted weirdo.

My goal is usually a realistic, aerodynamic, and beautiful looking craft, but I often end up making monstrosities that would never fly, and look terrible until I attach them to a space station where they finally make sense.

I prefer some sense of realism, but I break it a lot.

I use mods that both make the game harder and more realistic (RemoteTech, TACLS, etc), and easier and less realistic (MechJeb, KSP-I, etc). Though, I never use mods that are overwhelmingly "cheaty". I have to work to earn the super powerful things (like KSP-I's Alcubierre drive).

One thing I have noticed in my play, is that I absolutely must launch everything from Kerbin as a single craft, if it is going somewhere. I refuse to make a multi-part craft just to get to Eve and back. Of course, space stations can be multi-launch because they aren't going anywhere. I think this stems from before MechJeb where docking was insanely hard, and from before KAS where I couldn't EVA attach a strut to stabilize that docking clamp connection. (NB: the mods existed, I was just in a purist phase).

I would say a mix between the engineer and the pilot, I don't play with mechjeb as I love piloting the ships, but I also do a lot of building rockets. but I also do a lot of large-scale mission planning, particurally when a probe fails...

A moho lander probe ran out of energy due to it's solar panels failing to point towards the sun (I really need autotracking panels soon). After that, it couldn't do it's most important orbital maneuver (oops) so I decided to do the only thing I could do with it.

I redirected it to Eve.

It's now in a weirdly shaped Eve orbit, and since it wasn't planned to land on a surface, with, y'know, atmosphere, i'm going to try to land on Gilly with it. Potentially after that I might risk it all and try to send it onto the surface of Eve, but i'll have to see.

In the meanwhile, with Kerbal Alarm Clock, I can also manage other missions. I have a space station (hey, there's a person on there, maybe I should swap out the crew soon), a Duna/Ike mothership, something called the Flying Lemur, and a Eve Lander in Low Kerbin Orbit waiting for the next transfer window. Also, theres a Jool window coming up, so i'm going to take advantage of that.

Needless to say, I don't just like piloting the ships, I like actually having a lot of them doing things at any given moment.

Also, I went on a quest for the perfect explosion once, but that's a story for another day.

TL;DR: I like piloting, building, and managing a space program with the assistance of mods such as Kerbal Alarm Clock. I'm probably more of a jack of all-trades if anything. :P

Modder/pilot/engineer who plays to create the backstory of my fictitious space-faring military. I like seeing the buildup from "primitive" space tech to wild, far-flung battlecruisers and take pride in making it happen myself. :)

**I have not made more than one "capital ship" in my entire KSP history, but I'm a dreamer lol.

I'm mostly a builder.

But also a moder because I have a lot of mods that enhance my KSP experience(what else would I download mods?!).

Hoewever, those mods aren't mods that add rocket part but other part that won't help me in making the rocket like KAS(it help my space station to being a little less wobbly), scan sat(just for the fun of making maps :D) or Dangit(for the fun of having failures during mission and making the rockets with some modification to handle those failures) and some aesthetics mods like deadly reentry: I removed the plugin part to keep the parts only

A builder, mostly. 75% of every mission is spent in VAB. If its not designed well, its usless. If it looks like its going to work, it doesnt merit the test flight. If it fails during test flight, i had to be drunk. I aim at perfection.

Also a space geek. I tried a multitude of real things in KSP, with only 40% of them working, either to ksp limitations, or to my errors in design/execution. Still fun to do tho.

Edited by Plusk
Typos

I build hulking behemoths, scrape science from wherever I can, get mechjeb's autopilots, build bigger things, give them to mech jeb, watch them explode, then revert to spaceplane hanger because I think I did it all wrong

Well what if I'm a bit of all those... :D

- Play stock parts with visual enhancements, don't use mechjeb, I build in the SPH and VAB a LOT, I do semi-realistic missions, and I try to recreate historic things at times too.

Little bit of all :)

After getting some mods when I started out, I got tired of the same old clipping spaceships and as a scifi fan I wanted more better/real looking ships :P

Manual flying I only do when skimming around a planet, manual node editing or with my new vtol line befor going into normal flight, rest I leave to mechjeb while doing other things.

Fuel efficiency is the last of my worries, aslong as it has enough dV to do my thing I don`t care about a ton extra ^^

There is another thing that might not have been mentioned, playing with cranes to build/place & load cargo into ships ;)

https://imgur.com/a/BHvK3 & https://imgur.com/a/mpESi (link instead of pics as we have other threads for that)

Saves a couple of hours using pre-built rockets, rcs for positioning and general pain in the arse when moving on for wich strange&frustrating reason I just love to do as launching a ship is too easy and gives me abit more of an accomplishment :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.