What kind of player are you?

Doc Anderson

I guess I'm a builder, but in the sense of building infrastructure. I've not yet got beyond Minmus and am quite happily building bases and the infrastructure to keep them supplied. I use all sorts of mods, but the Remote Tech one is particularly influencing my play as I have to have the satellites to keep my craft in contact. I use Mechjeb, but only on manned flights where I need to dock or land precisely. I've yet to get into the Kethane side of things despite my infrastructure building tendencies.

I'm doing stuff that should have been doned in real life like a multi probe launcher into the joolian system or a manned duna landing. I'm right now only using probes and im having a space station in LKO. I'm designing a spacecraft to explore Eeloo and after that i will try to bring a 3 man lander to Eve and return to Kerbin but im still having too much issues. So i'm doing it the "human way":D

I'm something like a Builder pilot... I love building my ships and imagine how they will look like when they are landed in another world... And my kerbals living there. And... Who needs MechJeb, "Manivieurs", and all those useless maths when you have tons of orbiting skills like me? uh? (*Feel like Jebediah Kerman*)

I'm equally a builder and a pilot, and mostly a purist. I do use MechJeb but mostly for launches (more so on large vehicles) and for the extra information windows - I like to know radar altitude and have actual numbers for horizontal and vertical velocities, for all of the manual maneuvres I perform. Only other time I use MechJeb is if I want to use ions, as I generally can't be bothered babysitting hour-long burns myself.

I'm more a space geek than a sci-fi one though both have their appeal, and I'm generally more in the Astrophysicist bracket from the OP, though I do enjoy cockpit view, which makes sense given I'm an Astrophysics student :P In terms of ships I like to make, they tend to be as small as I can make them with the most features, so my ships tend to be small with high part densities.

I'm a purist, but don't you go putting any God or religion near my KSP. I'm quite content to show the world that I can do everything modders can do with the bare bones I'm given in stock parts.

Besides, I don't like my experience cheapened by mods. If I did, I'd use cheats.

I'm a purist, but don't you go putting any God or religion near my KSP. I'm quite content to show the world that I can do everything modders can do with the bare bones I'm given in stock parts.

Besides, I don't like my experience cheapened by mods. If I did, I'd use cheats.

Why does everyone think that Mods are cheats and what has KSP to do with religion?

Why does everyone think that Mods are cheats and what has KSP to do with religion?

Because most mods for most games add things that are stupidly overpowered. As for the religion question, the OP will answer that if you read it closely.

All of the above, but mostly builder. I build something, test it, rebuild it, test it again, tweak it, rebuild it, test it, tweak it, tweak it, tweak it, wipe my save because i found a new mod that i want to integrate into all my designs or a new version came out, rinse, repeat.

I'm a space program builder, not only rocket, but the whole space program. I want it to be as plausible as possibile. No silly 8 stacks asparagus boosters or everything that don't look as if it could fly in real life. I use a lot of mod, most of them are very well balanced so no cheat..

-moderator snip-

I am a builder. Sometimes a pilot, but mostly a builder. I love the chalange of building things with ridiculous large dimensions and then try to build something around it, able to perform the task I want it to perform. The more complex the better. Seems like I carried this over from Minecraft. I also try to create my own missions and campaign.

I am a acheiver. I set a goal, and fight tooth and nail to complete it. my space ship designs are more functional than cool-looking, and are mostly just enough to acomplish a certain goal. This may be part of the reason i think acheivements would be a cool feature.

The builder spends hours shut away in the VAB creating new ships and then hands them to Mechjeb to see if they will work.

I'm very much a builder, spend hours in the VAB/SPH designing a refining craft. I strive for reliability and try to make aesthetically pleasing craft.

I don't 'hand' things to mechjeb in that I never use the autopilots but I do use the SURF function from the smartASS

The pilot enjoys enjoys the challenge of manual control and says, "Mechjeb is cheating!"

I'm defiantly a pilot but I use a blend of automation and manual. I only use the smartASS (primarily for the SURF) to hold the craft on course but I dock manually and I get a real kick out of doing very accurate manual landings (my latest victory is being able to land ontop of my Mun base and dock to it).

The modder says, "KSP is perfect, but what it REALLY needs is steampunk parts and warp drive!"

I use a metric-****-ton of mods! but I'd hate to see warp drives and other FTL stuff. I only use mods that have balanced engines/tanks or mods that bring things like moving parts (damned robotics) or new game aspects (kethane, ISA, remote tech), or which fix game issues (quantum struts). Really I just love to have a ton of different parts, variety is the spice of life and its nice to not have the same engines/tanks on every single craft.

The purist plays KSP "as God intended it" and says, "Mods ruin the game."

Hell no! - one word; Quantum Struts (ok that's two words, whatever)

The sci-fi geek changed the name of Duna to Alderaan and is building a scale version of the Death Star.

no, but I did make a pod racer and I'm working on building Serenity (but she's gonna take a while, as it has to be perfect to do justice to that awesome 'boat').

The space geek duplicates actual historic missions in order to find out if something that works in fact will work in theory.

I'm slowly changing, I used to be all about the most lunatic and insane things (my

being one of the most insane). But I fear that I'm becoming more sensible. I've done a
which was edited to sync up with the NASA animation of it and I'm currently working on a Constellation inspired project (but that one is not exactly sane).
The astrophysicist transfers to Eeloo using only 1000 m/s Delta V and multiple gravity assists, and then watches it in map view at full warp.

no, I leave that to the Gods like Scott M!

The realist does missions to the Mun and back entirely in cockpit wiew without using warp to "really get the full experience of space flight."

not enough time to wait for numbers to roll past. pure IVA landings are fun thou.

All of them enjoy watching things explode.

All of them are right because all of them are having fun.

naturally, if it doesn't at some point go boom, then its not KSP!

Well, how I play is based on a few things.

Two essential mods with regards to what I am trying to do are; Ioncross Crew Support and Crew Manifest. These two "realisim" mods make most of the rescue craft networks I've read about clearly impossible. Long range missions are a different thing without these mods.

Also, much consideration is given to pretty much "what would Kerbals do?". Or maybe better stated, what would *I* do in their shoes?

Well, with the available stock parts and knowledge, I try to build a "learning" scenario for the Kerbals. First we build rockets and then test them unmanned. Culminating in an actual working orbital sat of some kind. Then a manned sub-orbital. Then a manned orbital. And so on.

I will even construct a sat network around our lovely home planet, not particularly caring whether or not the sats actually do anything useful. We need some mapping sats, weather, communications, and perhaps some GPS in geo-synchronous.

Then we build a space station. Then we perhaps do many things from there. Long term goals will evolve.

Why is crew manifest essential to this? Because I wait two months between launches. Yes, six a year is insane, but so is unlimited budget. You need manifest to unload your pilot on the pad so he doesn't die while you timewarp. :)

Edited by Scrogdog

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.